Thread: New Lurker, just saying hello.

My Cars
    98 528i

New Lurker, just saying hello.

Morning! I'm Kirk, just saying hello. I went with a friend of mine yesterday to look at several Isettas in a field locally and while talking to the elderly man, he mentioned he had another BMW he wanted rid of. (too new). At the far end of his pasture was a 97/98 (he thought) 528i with a manual transmission. He wants rid of it and I think I want it, so I came here to research, as I've never owned one before. I'll post pics of my find once I reach the pre-requisite 10 posts. I read all the "newbie" posts and rules, so we are good there. I'm sure I'll have plenty questions, but I'm no strangers to forums, so I know how the search feature works. The 528 has been off the road several years and all the gentleman could remember was that it "had a wiring problem" and needed a throwout bearing.

I'm fairly mechanically savvy, and my buddy is an electrical engineer, so I'm up for the challenge. Anyway, off to read the forums. Seems to be lots of good information here.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Welcome!
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by AircoolerKirk View Post
    Morning! I'm Kirk, just saying hello. I went with a friend of mine yesterday to look at several Isettas in a field locally and while talking to the elderly man, he mentioned he had another BMW he wanted rid of. (too new). At the far end of his pasture was a 97/98 (he thought) 528i with a manual transmission. He wants rid of it and I think I want it, so I came here to research, as I've never owned one before. I'll post pics of my find once I reach the pre-requisite 10 posts. I read all the "newbie" posts and rules, so we are good there. I'm sure I'll have plenty questions, but I'm no strangers to forums, so I know how the search feature works. The 528 has been off the road several years and all the gentleman could remember was that it "had a wiring problem" and needed a throwout bearing.

I'm fairly mechanically savvy, and my buddy is an electrical engineer, so I'm up for the challenge. Anyway, off to read the forums. Seems to be lots of good information here.

Welcome to the forum man! If you're considering the car, make sure to get a full PPI report done. I've also attached a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the E39 platform. Best of luck and let us know if we can help out.

BMW 5-Series E39 (1996-2003) Technical Articles

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    98 528i
    Sure! I'll go figure out what that is and get one. Hahaha car has been sitting idle in a pasture for several years and doesn't run. Just trying to get possession of it first.

Thanks for the link! Lots of good information there!

My Cars
    98 528i
    Pre-purchase inspection. Of course. Thanks again.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Might have been overheated due to a cooling system failure and have a blown headgasket and possibly a warped or even cracked head. A used M52 engine is about $500 so not a big deal if you can DIY.