clk550, C300, 2K M rdstr

Which Radiator is recommended?

2000 M Roadster, 93,000 miles.
    Recommended radiator replacement?
    Do not buy brand ......?
    Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    There is an all aluminum one called "VSL". Never heard of them. Then there is mishimoto- then there is another more expensive brand which I cant remember the name---
    Some of these are thicker I think.......

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Having experimented with many of the choices out there, from the stock replacementsto the aluminum eBay specials, I am now switching all of my cars to Zionsville.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 Coupe
    I drank the VSL Kool-Aid. It looked and felt well made, but developed a leak in one of the welds in less than 1 year. It was replaced under warranty by Mishimoto (VSL is no more) with one designed for an E36 so its not a perfect fit for a Z3. I sold it on eBay and installed an oem from Valeo from Turner. Its been going strong for 3 years now. (knock wood) Zionsville has a great rep but for a street driven car are overkill (IMHO) and way outside my budget.
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Arctic Silver

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There is some confusion on radiators, and other parts, and what BMW has done to the supply chain.

OE - comes from BMW, has a BMW logo, in BMW packaging

OEM - Does not come through BMW, and per contract, can NOT be made to the same specs as the OE part, nor even made in the same plant as the OE part. This means they are aftermarket, often China sourced, with nothing going for them except marketing.

Two decades ago, "OEM" meant something. Now it's just a marketing gimmick.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a VSL that is 8 years old and going strong. It will be coming out once Zionsville and I finalize the design and get the critter built.

/.randy

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I've probably put in a dozen or so OE (sourced from BMW dealerships) radiators in other forum member's cars.

I've probably put at least two dozen Zionsville radiators in cars during the same period. The Zionsville aluminum radiators are probably the best you can find, as far as construction quality goes, and they offer a multitude of options, like aluminum shrouds, "puller" electric fan kits, aluminum reservoirs, and even oil cooler upgrades for the non S-54 engined cars.

If you want the best, call and talk to Dwight: (317)873 3216

Tell him the Randys sent you

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    I bought a e36 all Aluminum Radiator from Ireland Engineering years ago for the LS swap. Its held up 6 or 7 years of all track. About 200 hours total. The welds were a bit sloppy, but for the price, it is hard to beat. I will say most all the street parts are off my car so it may be that it will not fit a street application. But worth looking into. I can run the LS in 100 degree heat on track and it will maintain.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    My red coupe, the one that starred in the cooling system experiment thread, is now sporting the Zionsville "Fat Boy" E36 radiator with modifications. The picture they have on the website *right now* is my radiator. Not like, that is the one. A Fat Boy married to Robb's MM panel compliant oil cooler. Some changes were made after test fitting that one. We are now working on the design to make it clear the RMS blower pulley. You simply can't get more radiator in the stock sheet metal.

/.randy

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    My red coupe, the one that starred in the cooling system experiment thread, is now sporting the Zionsville "Fat Boy" E36 radiator with modifications. The picture they have on the website *right now* is my radiator. Not like, that is the one. A Fat Boy married to Robb's MM panel compliant oil cooler. Some changes were made after test fitting that one. We are now working on the design to make it clear the RMS blower pulley. You simply can't get more radiator in the stock sheet metal.
    I am currently in process of ordering new radiator from Zionsville and Dwights recommendation as best option was https://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/...p-cooling-kit/ with narrowed shroud. Is it "more radiator" than Fat Boy?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The Fatboy does not leave enough room for a puller fan. It won't even clear a RMS supercharger. And that oil cooler won't clear a MM undertray. Since I run without a puller fan and needed the shorter oil cooler (with AN fittings), the Fatboy was my choice.

/.randy

My Cars
    z3
    Zionsville is great but OE from BMW should be fine for you OP

My Cars
    clk550, C300, 2K M rdstr
    Thanks to all.

Jim

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    I am currently in process of ordering new radiator from Zionsville and Dwights recommendation as best option was https://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/...p-cooling-kit/ with narrowed shroud. Is it "more radiator" than Fat Boy?
    The picture you link to shows the E-36 radiator; the Z3-specific uses a reprofiled LH end tank, for intake air ingress.

The E-36 can fit, and I've used them in a pinch, but if you're ordering, ask for the Z3 LH tank.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by abqhudson View Post
    2000 M Roadster, 93,000 miles.
    Recommended radiator replacement?
    Do not buy brand ......?
    Thanks for any help.

Hi Jim - if you're still looking for a solid radiator, we carry the Zionsville brand. As some members mentioned, these are more performance oriented and built very well.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...WATRAD_pg1.htm

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The picture you link to shows the E-36 radiator; the Z3-specific uses a reprofiled LH end tank, for intake air ingress.

The E-36 can fit, and I've used them in a pinch, but if you're ordering, ask for the Z3 LH tank.

Randy why do you like the Z3 specific tank with the provision for the air intake better? What if you never will have the stock intake in the car wouldn't the E36 be a better choice (bigger reserve tank)?
    Last edited by bubbafett; 08-23-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    Coupes...
    You know, the mishimoto is just fine for the price. I have one and no complaints.

Had a very small weep and they sent me a replacement after I sent them a photo.

I already replaced it though, so if anyone wants a brand new mishimoto radiator let me know.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    So what is wrong with a "Stock" Radiator...yes there a plastic bits...but you replace it based on age, before your stuck at the side of the road...

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by SunzOut View Post
    So what is wrong with a "Stock" Radiator...yes there a plastic bits...but you replace it based on age, before your stuck at the side of the road...
    It just that the OE radiator & cooling system has been known as under powered and as a weak point in the E36 platform. A number of things contribute to cooling efficiency fluid capacity, fin design, material, etc. If your car is DD then stock is probably fine, but for track or modified cars with superchargers or turbos a more efficient radiator can literally make or break your engine. Zionsville seems to be the best thus the $600+ price tag. Allot of guys have done the fan delete as well making a better radiator and water pump even more important.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    It just that the OE radiator & cooling system has been known as under powered and as a weak point in the E36 platform. A number of things contribute to cooling efficiency fluid capacity, fin design, material, etc. If your car is DD then stock is probably fine, but for track or modified cars with superchargers or turbos a more efficient radiator can literally make or break your engine. Zionsville seems to be the best thus the $600+ price tag. Allot of guys have done the fan delete as well making a better radiator and water pump even more important.
    New OE radiator along with this solved all my overheating problems on hot track days - http://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/O...Valve-Kit.html
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    When going the OE route, does it make sense to use the three row S54 radiator over the two row version used in other six cylinder Z3s?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Fake news. The s54 radiator is not three row. It makes no sense unless you are also using the s54 oil cooler.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Never mind--Randy beat me to it.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobkid View Post
    New OE radiator along with this solved all my overheating problems on hot track days - http://www.bimmerworld.com/Cooling/O...Valve-Kit.html

Srsly??? Can I have the old thermostat slug?

/.randy

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yep. Exactly. I was talking about the ones you buy today. But even so, if after passing over two cores you still have enough extra heat capacity left in the air that a third row would do anything worthwhile, you have a design problem. Yes... it did something in the 1960's pickup with round tube copper . Radiator core technology has moved on since then. Maximize surface area first. The S54 without theoil cooler is less area.

/.randy

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    And nothing the OP posted suggested that he is doing anything more than normal driving...His original radiator lasted 17yrs and 90k+ miles. An "OE/OEM" replacement will probably last just as long be easier to install and cheaper

Tracking a car once in a while is also not going to strain the stock cooling system either, but past that your into all sorts of "track" related thing that need modification and or replacement. For me,depending on the track, 15 miles is the limit before a cool down lap as the oil temp gets over 280(ish). but that's hammering it's all the way using every rpm I can find so an S54 radiator + oil cooler is in the plans for this winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast