Thread: Darn Keyfob Memory!

My Cars
    1996 740iL

Darn Keyfob Memory!

So after LOTS of trial and error I was able to get the 2 keyfobs on our recently purchased 2011 535i xDrive to remember the settings for my wife and myself. All has been well until the other day when my daughter drove the car using my wife's fob. She is much taller than my wife so adjusted the seat and mirrors to her liking. While she had the car she locked and unlocked it as she went from errand to errand, and, of course, my wife's fob now remembers my daughter's settings rather than hers.

This is ridiculous! Is there some trick that I am unaware of that will keep it from storing settings every time the car is locked and unlocked? I tried going into SETTINGS and DOOR LOCKS and unchecking LAST SEAT POSITION AUTOMATIC, but then it lost all settings on both fobs.

The only thing I have been able to think of would be to assign the fob to the GUEST profile before letting someone else drive the car and then re-assigning it back to the correct profile afterwards, but not only is this a pain in the rear, but it is highly unlikely that it is something that my wife would even think about doing.

Either I am missing something obvious, or this is the absolute most stupid fob memory system in existence. Whoever decided that it was a good idea to store settings every time the car is locked/unlocked should be shot.

My Cars
    It's not the best system, but I think you're making it harder than it is.

Turn on the last seat position setting. It must be done for each key.

Using your key, move everything to where you like it. Hit the memory button on the seat to store those settings. That way even if someone else drives it using your key, you can go back to your setting.

Have your wife do the same with her key, and use a different memory button.

Done! If you and your wife are the only ones driving, it will move to your position when you drive, and hers when she drives. If your daughter drives the car and moves the seat, simply use the memory button to put it back where it goes. Then the next time you get out and lock it, when you come back it will remember that setting. Theoretically, it only remembers the last seat position, so all you have to do is move the seat once back to your setting.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Yes, that is exactly what I have been doing. And as you say, having our settings stored in the seat memory at least makes it so that we don't have to "re-invent" the settings each time the fob needs to be re-programmed.

But I really do appreciate your reply! I was hoping that there was something that I was missing that would prevent the saving of the current settings on each lock/un-lock, but at least knowing for sure that there isn't, is beneficial. This is an amazingly stupid (only my opinion, of course) system.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Thanks!