Thread: Just bought today..2003 325 XIT..have a question.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible

Just bought today..2003 325 XIT..have a question.

I'm new to BMW...however, not new to Audi, or Mercedes, from over the past 25 years. This afternoon, I bought a 2003 wagon, $5k. It has 116k miles, has been garage kept. All interior and exterior show truly as brand new, has a clean CarFax. I bought the car...but after the test drive, it seemed to me that the steering was very hard to turn the steering wheel when compared with my Audi A6....It may not be abnormal...I just was surprised! ....Would anyone please to comment...I'm ignorant!
    Last edited by Eaglesail; 03-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Eaglesale, very hard is sort of relative. Are you able to turn it with one hand, if so and as long as turns smooth, you are fine. The steering it TIGHT. Audi and Mercedes, eh? Get ready for a real car. LOL, jk.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I think you're experiencing steering feedback, something that was sought after and appreciated by driving enthusiasts of the Ultimate Driving Machine.
    Newer cars have lost that type of tight, sports car feel to the steering, possibly why you describe it as hard, while a BMW enthusiast would describe it as taut!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Not only newer cars. I've driven my share of Audi and Mercedes cars and they have a feather light steering with little feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Newer cars have lost that type of tight, sports car feel to the steering, possibly why you describe it as hard, while a BMW enthusiast would describe it as taut!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I was referring to newer cars in general, as I was a Hotel valet driver, back in my younger days.
    I basically drove every car under the sun back then, and have real world experience with the entire gamut,
    Low end GM models to Lotus, Ferrari, even BMW flagship models, which were company provided, LOL.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    OP seems to know what he is writing about.

If the steering is not as easy as you think it should be, make sure the power steering reservoir is topped off with the correct fluid. If it already is, and you're handy, you can drain the system including the pump with not too much effort and put all new fluid in. This cured a huge groaning in my '73 3.0CS, like magic, and worked well for my '90 325i as well. For those "old" cars, plain old Dexron is okay, but look up the correct spec fluid for your car before you put "something that looks like it" in there.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Thanks all.....Tomorrow I pick it up and drive home my used e46 from Massachusetts to Connecticut. I'm going to feel it out to determine if possible issues..My first cars, 1971....did not have power steering..(Rambler American, Dodge Dart) .and yes, you could feel the ride. I am now beginning (after much responce) to believe I am in for another, a different driving experience. I did like the (lack of power steering type responce upon the test drive, I just didn't know if this was normal....It was a test drive in order to confirm to myself to buy the car...and I did!

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Eaglesail, congrats! Considering the number of miles on the car, it is either due to a cooling system refresh or has just had one done. I'd advise determining which before embarking on a long drive. Eh, I'm not trying to suggest that it's gonna take a crap on you while you're on your way home, but it would suck if something like a pulley decided to let go. At the last, check the pulleys to see if the drive belts are riding side saddle.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Congrats on your new purchase, welcome to the world of BMW ownership & the forums. Give the engine a quick looking over before starting your trip.
    Check oil and coolant levels, belt condition, tire pressures-including spare! You should be fine, considering your description of the vehicle. Ask for any,
    and all service records if available, from the seller. Now get behind the wheel and enjoy the ride in "The Ultimate Driving Machine"!!
    Let us know how the trip went, along with your experiences, upon your return home.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-17-2017 at 08:22 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I drove my 325 back from Boston to Connecticut Saturday....It tracked and maintained a perfect straight line upon straightaways on the Mass pike. Front tires have 30 psi while rears show 35 psi..on the factory original tires, still on this car!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    I was wrong, 4 of the 5 Michelin MXV4 are dated 2007, one of the 5 dates to 2002 that is not currently the spare. So these tires did get rotation, including the spare.

I will plan to buy the 'super' package for cooling system replacement from Pelican...I may consider a new alternator and starter at that time too. Brakes, rotors, cylinder rebuilds. The car at 116.5K is telling me 140k for the next scheduled maintenance meaning 20k ago things were done, but what, assuming 60k maint. intervals....I'm just going to do all regardless..and risk the rest for the ride to 200k. This will be very likely my last car...better to tackle now than when in my 70's!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Service records from the previous owner would be really helpful in this situation.

My Cars
    01 BMW 330ci convertible
    Congratulations on your purchase. I have a 2001 330ci vert and 2006 Benz C230. The benz does have a lighter steering compared to the BMW. I honestly like driving the e46 more, but we use the Benz when we go out as a family. The backseat on the vert is too small for my 14 year old son. It's really more about feeling the road with the e46, with the C230 its about comfort. That's the main difference to me. Lastly, it's good that you're planning on replacing the cooling parts of your car. Mine just hit 100K and I'm slowly gathering the parts I need. I would suggest that you replace the cooling system parts with OEM parts. In my prior Z3 I bought an off brand waterpump which I ended up replacing in a year. This time, I'm going with a stewart water pump, Behr radiator and expansion tank, 3 pulleys and new OEM hoses. Oh, while you're at it, consider changing the oil filter gasket. It's $4 at a dealership. It's one of those things that can be easily done while all the other parts are out of the way, and will save you the headache of having it done later.

Again, congratulations on the purchase
    Richard
    2001 BMW 330 CI
    2006 Merc C230

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Dreamnz....Wow, I do know about oil filter gaskets letting go! Audi uses a large o-ring between oil filter body and oil cooler and engine block...it failed 3 months ago in my parking lot, thank god not on the interstate...and yes, a $3 dollar part! ....After 4 Benz's, and an Audi, from over the past 25 years, I stay away from 'MEYLE' out of the list of many after market suppliers for our German cars. I tend to go with the best, or next to, unless I've heard otherwise.

I do all of my own work. Dreamnz, having a great forum of support and info is paramount for the DIY. ...Mercedeshop.com and Quattroworld.com, have enabled me to maintain correctly my favorite German cars. Now I graduate to the BMW, and it is brand new to me, but it is German, and having now bought one, I see the many many similarities inherent in these German made cars, although I think my 3 series was constructed in Mexico!

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    TONYANGEL....I can turn the wheel while parked with one hand...and when I do this, I can hear the engine drop rpm just a tiny little bit...indicating to me that the power steering pump is demanding energy from the engine....I'm thinking now that there is nothing wrong here...It is dramatically different than from my Audi A6, or the many other cars I have driven from my whole life..really..I'm 61.

My Cars
    2002 330Ci, 1995 325is
    Get a Stewart water pump.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    TONYANGEL....I can turn the wheel while parked with one hand...and when I do this, I can hear the engine drop rpm just a tiny little bit...indicating to me that the power steering pump is demanding energy from the engine....I'm thinking now that there is nothing wrong here...It is dramatically different than from my Audi A6, or the many other cars I have driven from my whole life..really..I'm 61
    First time behind the wheel of a BMW? Yep, I get that all the time from BMW virgins, it's come to be expected, as it is your First Time after all!
    (Example of a classic conversation between a BMW car salesman and a BMW neophyte during a test-drive)

Welcome to the BMW enthusiasts community, you have passed the initiation process, lol.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-23-2017 at 04:50 PM.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Thank you MIKYZZ4.....I look forward to learn more from you guys...Steve

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    'Stuart' water pump...got that, will do...thanks

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Yes, I'm getting it!

I did like it on my drive back to Connecticut from Boston....Haven't driven it since! I won't likely drive this car again before June. I have it parked currently in a garage....I plan to begin using this car in September of this year.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Keep the battery maintained with a battery tender.