Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

My Cars
    2000 Bmw 750il
    I've tried every car launcher available on my tablet install. I finally find out that Car Launcher Agama works the best for me. It allows me to control Pandora, Spotify and the radio app through its interface. I can also use the navigation with out going between multiple apps. Not as many customization as Car launcher pro. But its been very stable.
    Car Launcher AGAMA

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Well after talking with xboss and franco via a couple pm's here, I came to realize, "Wait! THERE WERE TWO HARNESSES THAT CAME WITH MY UNIT!" Meaning I only chopped up one, and have another to pull apart and inspect their wiring.

As mentioned above I ended up finding out that the green wire to the canbus connects to the ibus from the car, and the white wire from the canbus box goes straight to the headunit (key 2 spot) and it all works automatically.

The issue I was having was that you don't need to setup the controls, they just work immediately which is why you buy the correct canbus box - it knows what volume up code to look for, what skip track code to look for... I thought I had to be in the steering key programming window and set it there, and it just never worked.

While I was IN that screen I was always messing with the wiring, "maaaaybe if I ground key 2, and run ibus to key 1.." "maaaybe run ibus to green AND key 1.." "MAYBE run ibus to key 2 and ground key 1" nothing worked. SOMETIMES I'd get a voltage spike and it would think I was sending a command, and I'd program 5 keys then they'd all get mixed up and nothing would work again. Other times I'd confuse the car's computer and get the interior lights stuck on full brightness until I re-cycled the power.

Anyway here's a quick video I put together explaining what and why and maybe how. It's long, it's shaky as hell, and it's useless unless you're looking to do this yourself.

Enjoy:

This all happened because when I first bought it I went and cut up the first harness based on wire colours, only to realize later on that the colours aren't universal and that's where my mistake was made.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Also, while working in the car, if you have the gear shift knob off... it really helps as a "second hand" to hold the wiring as you solder and heat shrink! Haha. You can see the fancy heat shrink I have used too - it's super cool stuff, each end has glue that bites down and seals+holds the connections, and the middle is low-temp solder than the heat gun melts over top of the connection making it even better!

855.jpg

This was the first attempt at soldering the stupid illumination wire (there's one from the canbus, one from the head unit, AND an extra pig tail) annnnnd yeah after soldering it, and pulling it out of the harness, oops: Hahahah
    856.jpg

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Nice, I found that second harness last night and almost posted it. Once canbus is hooked up the unit does not need external triggers for headlights and reverse etc. since it gets the signal from canbus instead.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Thanks man!

That second harness really was the trick for me too haha =D

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740i
    Hi all,

Need a little help please.

I have a RHD 1995 740i with DSP, Bluetooth hands free & Sat Nav and am trying to install an Xtrons Head Unit.

I've modified the head unit to make it fit and run the 5m extention cable to the trunk.

C7687415-2F31-4462-BCA3-14E7CB2FE70B.jpg

This is the pin out for the Xtrons.

E7D65D93-5DB1-47CD-B0EF-DD3BE5D7A9E4.jpg

This is the pin out for the stock radio.

As you can see from the bottom of the diagram, I've mapped out the corresponding pins from the 17 pin extention to the 17 pin radio plug and they all seem to line up with the exception of the rear speakers. I assumed it would just be plug and play, but no such luck.

Then I tried the radio in the trunk trick.

EC16F826-A3FA-4BF4-B7CF-38D3C01039D9.jpg

Still no sound.

I tried connecting ANT (10 on Socket E) to the blue/white AUTO ANT (16 on the radio plug), no sound.

I've connected a speaker to the +/- speaker outputs on the extention cable to make sure the Xtrons is sending a signal and the music plays fine.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting the various modules in the trunk (CD Changer etc) to no avail (getting desperate by this point).

Messed around for so long I flattened the battery. I've read every post on every forum I can find but still no sound.

Has anyone any ideas?
    Last edited by azdk99; 09-27-2018 at 01:57 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E38 450iL
    The front and rear DVR cameras... Can you use any third party camera or are you forced to use the option(s) supplied from xtron only?

Also, anyone here in the UK (Greater London) area able to assist in my install?

BTW what a great thread this is!

Amazing job to those who've succeeded

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i stick
    Hey guys,
    I hope I am not hijacking this thread but can anyone tell me why I should spend $100 extra on this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077LMX3T9..._t1_B07GJ2VKLV

as opposed to saving the money and buying this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5Z5MU6OM&psc=1

I am just not good with this electronic stuff. Lord knows I'll have to ask for help with the DSP thing too as my E39 has it...

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    Nice Xboss. Since you have a non nav car. I'm 95% sure you don't have to do the DSP trunk trick. Just plug the 17pin connector from the radio to the 17pin connector in the car. As long as pin 16 (remote on) is provided with 12v, the OEM amp should stay on.

Whats the DSP trunk trick? Just has my xtron unit installed today but the technician said the only way to have it installed was to bypass the DSP, and so he did. The audio does not sound that good without DSP.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by e38kiani View Post
    Whats the DSP trunk trick? Just has my xtron unit installed today but the technician said the only way to have it installed was to bypass the DSP, and so he did. The audio does not sound that good without DSP.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...set-IT-s-ALIVE
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678