Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    The only unit that actually processes DSP that I know of is the Dynavin N6. If you look in the earlier pages of this thread I had to do the analog stereo input hack to get this to work. The cables that people are talking about are to just get the stereo signal to the amp from the front when people have nav there.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    any updates on the radio and wood pieces
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    So I've had mine now for a week, and booted it up and wow octa-core indash thing you da MAN!

First thing I did was put facebook on it haha, then SONIC! Then "Scout" maps for my gps. I love this unit.

Last night I pulled it apart and removed the DVD unit. Just unscrews with 4-5 screws and a ribbon cable. Removed over 70% of the weight of the overall unit!

Just booted it up to test that it was okay and no warnings or anything, hit "DVD" and it just says "no disc." So that's a huge relief! Great news IMO.

xBoss I'm curious though with your install, how do you take the unit out without removing the frame each time? AND if you have to remove the frame, how do you take out the hvac unit first?

I just bought the nav frame from one of those latvian eBay sellers, $20 ($40 shipping) and then read this thread. READ the part where you said you cut the whole top off anyway meaning I probably could have just used my radio bezel instead of buying this nav bezel. Regardless, IF you cut the whole top off, how do you now mount the top part OF the entire hvac/screen bezel with those mounts removed?

Also. . . any updates? =)

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos View Post
    So I've had mine now for a week, and booted it up and wow octa-core indash thing you da MAN!

First thing I did was put facebook on it haha, then SONIC! Then "Scout" maps for my gps. I love this unit.

Last night I pulled it apart and removed the DVD unit. Just unscrews with 4-5 screws and a ribbon cable. Removed over 70% of the weight of the overall unit!

Just booted it up to test that it was okay and no warnings or anything, hit "DVD" and it just says "no disc." So that's a huge relief! Great news IMO.

xBoss I'm curious though with your install, how do you take the unit out without removing the frame each time? AND if you have to remove the frame, how do you take out the hvac unit first?

I just bought the nav frame from one of those latvian eBay sellers, $20 ($40 shipping) and then read this thread. READ the part where you said you cut the whole top off anyway meaning I probably could have just used my radio bezel instead of buying this nav bezel. Regardless, IF you cut the whole top off, how do you now mount the top part OF the entire hvac/screen bezel with those mounts removed?

Hey Jamos and Franco,

The unit is rocking and fitting well but like you mentioned, the top loses a mount but I was able to get the unit much further back with the top cut off so I like it. Still working on the final mounts up top, the plan is to reuse the side wing mounts that mount up under the wood trim. I ended up doing the same thing, got a wide bezel but then it did not work like I wanted so I went back to the original bezel and cut it.

Cluster headache season has me cramped. I have the head gasket job running slow as well. I hope to crank parts real soon!
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 740i

Thats awesome. In definitely going that route.

Anyone tried the ibus interace below? There is some software available that talks to the car allowing you to reset fuel consumption, time and date, etc. no need for MID anymore.

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Cool stuff xboss, try taking out the DVD drive as I mentioned, since you can't use it after moving it anyway! Weight reduction bruh! =D

As for that ibus interface "below" ? Forget to post?

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    Cool stuff xboss, try taking out the DVD drive as I mentioned, since you can't use it after moving it anyway! Weight reduction bruh! =D

Does anyone have pic after the fit? (E38)

1995 740i

My Cars
    1997 740i

http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/install.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5xo_YEjqWq4

D'oh! Posted a link with a video of the software

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Whoa that usb ibus thing is awesome! I just read the history of both the hardware and the app, and quite cool indeed! Very nice. Not sure though if I have an LCM, LCM2, or LCM3? I can't find anything specific and feel like a n00b.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I really have to get the money shots up for this thread. My life is always a mess and some stuff is missing but the full project has all new speakers (8) and the android unit is killing it. Sounds great and looks great and now my 97 750 is streaming spotify while navigating and taking phone calls. The boot time is super fast as mentioned. These units do have little bugs and hiccups here and there but if it can last 4-5 years I'm happy!
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    '95 740i
    Yeah one thing about them is they run hot! I noticed the warranty sticker and the wiring pinout sticker covers 80% of the vents from the factory! I quickly changed that. Also with the DVD removed I'm sure there will be far greater air circulation. I keep powering it up and just playing with it, but it's no-where near ready to go near the car hah! At a loss for how to mount it, didn't realize it didn't "fit in" to the nav frame, thought it suported it then needed to be screwed in, but right now it would just.... not support it hah!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Yeah one thing about them is they run hot! I noticed the warranty sticker and the wiring pinout sticker covers 80% of the vents from the factory! I quickly changed that. Also with the DVD removed I'm sure there will be far greater air circulation. I keep powering it up and just playing with it, but it's no-where near ready to go near the car hah! At a loss for how to mount it, didn't realize it didn't "fit in" to the nav frame, thought it suported it then needed to be screwed in, but right now it would just.... not support it hah!
    They run real hot! I cut a hole in the fresh air vent duct that sits above the radio so it's always getting cool air as the car goes down the road. In the Winter with the heat on the HVAC area gets super hot all by it'self. People with Android units are reporting heat issues but my fix may be the trick especially with the DVD removal like you mentioned.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 740i
    How do you hook up all the wires is the DVD drive is removed? Don't they all plug into the back of the drive?

My Cars
    '95 740i
    That back part isn't JUST the dvd unit, the dvd unit is INSIDE it sitting 1mm above the main board - radio receiver, main cpu, video controller, blue tooth, etc... - the dvd unit is just that, a dvd unit Picture your cd drive from your computer put inside that rear box. SO by removing it . . . . you know what I'll add pictures =D

My Cars
    '95 740i
    This is the unit undone with the DVD drive removed:

003_zpsurd1vrp7.jpg

001_zpsn3mrc9uc.jpg

My beautiful new kitchen table:

002_zpsgl5pmuuc.jpg

Once I get it together I'll add it all to my thread ABOUT this so I stop hijacking xboss'! Cheers

My Cars
    1997 740i
    This is the unit undone with the DVD drive removed:

003_zpsurd1vrp7.jpg

001_zpsn3mrc9uc.jpg

My beautiful new kitchen table:

002_zpsgl5pmuuc.jpg

Once I get it together I'll add it all to my thread ABOUT this so I stop hijacking xboss'! Cheers
    Looking forward to some more pics. Subscribed!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    You are the man Jamos. This adds a ton to the thread for people looking to split the screen. I failed on the pics on that one. Nice to see handy people ripping it up!
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I guess I am the only one that has my unit in tack and also made the holes on the ac vent to keep it cool
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    95 740i, 89 735i,
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    I guess I am the only one that has my unit in tack and also made the holes on the ac vent to keep it cool
    But where is the pic Franco Im waiting to copy your fit

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by ibumpers View Post
    But where is the pic Franco Im waiting to copy your fit
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...works-with-DSP
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    I have this unit for my e39. Works great, but no audio. Mine is non dsp, no navi or bose. Should be plug and play. I'll have to give your wiring a go to get this thing to make sound.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk
    Ed

Keep on modding and fixing!..

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post

So these are the wires i conected.

Connect pin 16 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 4 on the Big AMP Plug
    Connect pin 9 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 8 on the Big Amp Plug
    Connect pin 15 from the round pin plug - - with the wire from pin 15 on the Big Amp Plug
    Connect pin 5 from the round pin plug - - with pin hole 5 on the DB25 plug
    Connect pin 7 from the round pin plug - - with the IBUS wire on the smaller plug on the amp (should be white with yellow spots)

This is the wiring for the 17 pin, so i'll try and find the 40 pin wiring diagram for your radio so you can locate these wires to connect to.
    Did you ever find the wiring diagram for the 40 pin? In the meantime I'll try and cross reference yours with what I have from Xtrons. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    Ed

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossagge View Post
    Did you ever find the wiring diagram for the 40 pin? In the meantime I'll try and cross reference yours with what I have from Xtrons. Thanks.

lol That will work and will give the radio sound.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rossagge View Post

This
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    2002 540i Touring Sport
    Great thanks. Looks like they match up. Hopefully this works. Agter teying to connect the xtrons and no sound I reconnected the factory stereo and it worked. Driving home the volume wouldnt adjust. I Unplugged and reconnected again now I have now sound from factory set up...weird. Dont know what happened. Hope the amp isn't messed up now.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rossagge; 08-18-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Ed

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Glad I can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Cid 1999 IL

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast