Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Here is how I modded the box to be over to the left so it fits our cars. You lose the DVD player but big frikken deal!

Anyway, to separate the box and screen you need to lay the unit on the table upside down so the box and screen are flat with the table then remove two screws on each side of the radio box at the screen then you will be able to hinge the screen downward.

There will be a piece of fabric tape on the top side of the box to make it hinge like that. You will need to carefully peel the tape away. Once the tape is gone the screen and box are totally separate and you can rip the cables out of their plugs or tear them so be very careful! I had my box on the table like it was in surgery. The screen and box never moved during the whole process except for when I slid it over a couple inches then mounted it. As far as the unit is concerned, nothing happened to it because the cables inside have an extra few inches and they did not get any stress put on them.

Make sure you use snips to cut the spot where you pass the cables through and not a grinder or you may get particles in the box. Make sure a helper holds the plate firmly so when you snip through it does not jerk the plate and rip on the cables. I do not recommend unplugging them or disturbing them in any way unless you are a master at tiny cables or something like that! Make sure your new mod plate has the pass through built into it. I did not depict that below.

I put it all back together with rivets. Its strong and tight and not going anywhere. I wrapped the gaps between the screen and box with metal HVAC tape to keep the insides safe and clean. There will be a gap at the top of the unit where the box meets the screen because you want the box the be tilted a bunch downward from its default point to fit our dash angle and fit in that hvac spot just right. It does not affect the view angle of the screen.

Once again, please be very careful when you cut the plate to slide the wires through and you will be fine. The cables unfold out of the box some and have plenty of room to slide over. I wrapped the opening with tape so if they rub against it they will not get cut.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xboss; 04-14-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    UPDATE:

I found this info about our units. Cool stuff about passwords and rooting them and their origins etc.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    UPDATE:

I found this info about our units. Cool stuff about passwords and rooting them and their origins etc.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type
    Told you there where hitting menus on he radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Been reading up about taking over control of the Android software. Rooting and new launchers. I am going to stop the radio from coming on at start up. I asked on the forums and they say that is how it works. No good, I will fix that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    Told you there where hitting menus on he radios

Factory menu with password 126 is in the manual but rooting the device is not!
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Still been buried in work but I have some extra parts coming in to wait on anyay before final fit and lock down.

I am getting the following items for bonus mods:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112088804543?
    This delay circuit should solve the reverse cam flashing as you row past the R gear. It can be set from 0 to 10 seconds and anywhere between so I plan on setting it to around .8 of a second and then it only sends a trigger to the head unit after you have been in reverse for over .8 Timer starts from the reverse light feed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231950888521?
    I have read that these battery conditioners will work. I have a gauge on the battery volts. Lets see if the old battery goes up! I already added distilled water to it. So far so good on it's recovery. This is here because of the next problem below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401030559009?
    These units are very picky about memory voltage. If it drops below 10.8V things reset. A lot of BMW owners are finding that a good running Bimmer can trigger resets on start ups. I know my big ol 750 triggers a memory reset all the time on this unit so with this part the voltage to memory will always be at 12.0V
    Last edited by xboss; 04-15-2017 at 05:37 AM.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    More bonus parts.

There is a decent amount of glare on the screen on a sunny day so I will cut up some anti glare screen protectors like this to fit:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fosmon-3-Ant...YAAOSw5cNYJiGF

I'm soldering in a motorola style antenna plug to replace the BMW style. Not sure if there is an adapter but I like it this way because there is very little room at the back of the unit for extra junk.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/160961144238?

I will probably wire this life activated xm radio unit to the aux in feed as well:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191986943140...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    e34,e38
    @xboss i left a doubt for you mp

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by elchicho23 View Post
    @xboss i left a doubt for you mp

????????????????????????????????????/
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    ????????????????????????????????????/
    elchicho is from Spain and trying to do this but I do not speak Spanish and his English limited. Maybe Franco, you can help?
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    elchicho is from Spain and trying to do this but I do not speak Spanish and his English limited. Maybe Franco, you can help?

what
    He wants to do i can assist
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Hey MJ, have you ever used a volt regulator for a head unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Power-Su...xYLRy0&vxp=mtr

My xtrons unit is not saving memory on some starts because my big old 750 cranks hard and needs a new battery soon so if the volts dip under 10 the head unit memory fails. Happens once in a while, I read up on other peeps with the same issue. New alt and battery this Summer but I was wondering if I could solve it by just adding a reg to the memory wire feed.
    This is what capacitors are for.
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Still waiting on a few finish parts like a new antenna end and the back up cam timer circuit. Finished product pics soon but before then I will post the trunk mod pics tomorrow,

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post
    This is what capacitors are for.
    Starter cap?

I'm getting a pretty big volt dip on starts but no problems at all and the starter turns fast and smooth. I'm still going to put the reg on that memory line. It should be healthy for the unit. Possibly the main feed side as well but it's only rated @ 4 amps. the unit has a 5 on the back. Should be close. Might wait and see on that one but the memory issues suck.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I got the girls a two year valid spotify account off ebay for $60 and now they have totally seen the light about how nice the car stereo is. They can play anything they want any time now which totally kills the need for bluetooth media libraries off the phone which is lower quality audio anyway and Detroit radio is terrible. Next up will be an xm radio into the aux stereo port. Ebay has old units for $100 with lifetime activation. Still need to buy the front cam and install the backup cam. Still waiting on parts for final fitment and pics...
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    96 740il, XJS & CBR1000F
    Still waiting on a few finish parts like a new antenna end and the back up cam timer circuit. Finished product pics soon but before then I will post the trunk mod pics tomorrow,

- - - Updated - - -

Starter cap?

I'm getting a pretty big volt dip on starts but no problems at all and the starter turns fast and smooth. I'm still going to put the reg on that memory line. It should be healthy for the unit. Possibly the main feed side as well but it's only rated @ 4 amps. the unit has a 5 on the back. Should be close. Might wait and see on that one but the memory issues suck.
    I was pointing out that that is what capacitors are designed for. That is their use case.

with a quick google you can find out more.

httpatomoreillycomsourceoreillyimages80709.png.jpg
    The World is ruled by Kings and Queens that blind your eyes and steal your dreams.
    When answering my questions please use a qualifier if you are not sure.
    The more I work on this car the less I respect German engineering.
    When you speak in Absolutes you are always wrong!

Semper Fi

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Here are the trunk pics. This is super easy, the radio gets two lines of power. One power, one memory, ground and then one line is the ibus and the other is the amp trigger which I am pointing at. The bus line is white with yellow spots and can be found everywhere. The DSP amp smaller plug has one.

You do not even need to use the amp trigger off the old radio in the trunk. If you want you can just have the new radio unit send it over. It's all set to go except the cable is disabled by default and needs to be plugged together to be in use.

IMG_0038 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    Last edited by xboss; 05-04-2017 at 04:27 AM.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I have been waiting on final parts like a wifi antenna cable to move the wifi antenna off the back of the unit and put the antenna in the a pillar. Couple little items. I should be ready to finally install it in it's frame. Currently it has been in use just sitting there in the empty space and it almost fits perfect. Pics of the finished project are coming soon!
    Last edited by xboss; 05-04-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Eight brand new monsoon speakers $13 each shipped for the car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272653424366?
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    anyone know if the the xtrons head unit will work in an E39 too? I've got dsp + 4:3 display, and have ncsexpert working to change the amp coding
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlah View Post
    anyone know if the the xtrons head unit will work in an E39 too? I've got dsp + 4:3 display, and have ncsexpert working to change the amp coding
    most units will work the problem is the E38
    my unit is plug and play and works with dsp
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    most units do not work with the e39 DSP/nav, I'm only aware of one that does, the dynavin
    The term badge whores is not allowed on bimmerforums, because badge whores don't like it

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    most units do not work with the e39 DSP/nav, I'm only aware of one that does, the dynavin
    The. One I have is for the E39 and x5
    And was plug and play with my e38

El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    135i, R53 jcw, x5d, E39
    The. One I have is for the E39 and x5
    And was plug and play with my e38

which one? I ruled out dynavin because it's not android it's some home brew I think

My Cars
    1998 e38 740il
    which one? I ruled out dynavin because it's not android it's some home brew I think
    Most of these units were made specifically for the E39 with and without DSP. If you have DSP or factory nav, then you must specify that to the vendor and purchase a separate cable that completely eliminates your existing cable. The cable runs from the back of the unit to the trunk where it plugs in to your existing radio plug.

My Cars
    1998 e38 740il
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/401030559009?
    These units are very picky about memory voltage. If it drops below 10.8V things reset. A lot of BMW owners are finding that a good running Bimmer can trigger resets on start ups. I know my big ol 750 triggers a memory reset all the time on this unit so with this part the voltage to memory will always be at 12.0V
    I have a similar issue except that on my unit, occasionally the bluetooth would forget its pairing with my iphone and I'd have to go in factory reset and reboot it. I wonder if this device would help that issue.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    My unit is an E39 unit

El Cid 1999 IL

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast