Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XTRONS aftermarket head unit install / review thread

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I hooked up the trunk mod and everything works fine, sounds fine. I think I will be cutting out the whole nav frame above the climate so the unit can sit in there properly. You can get it to install like the pics MJDOOM provided but that way is sticking out about half an inch.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Can you pull the gas mileage and other such data with the unit? The website says it communicates with the CAN-Bus system.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Any pics yet?
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Pics and updates soon. I will try to get it finished tomorrow.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    Any pics yet?
    I am making sure fitment is awesome. Not only am I working on it being mounted as tight and flush as it can be but I also have to move to box over and secure it back to the screen and the frame. Here is the progress. I should have it in the car soon.

x1.jpgx2.jpgx3.jpgx4.jpg
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I'm scrapping the whole wide screen frame. The unit will not sit back far enough with the frame in the way so I am cutting the top half above climate all the way off. Easy deal.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by xboss View Post
    I'm scrapping the whole wide screen frame. The unit will not sit back far enough with the frame in the way so I am cutting the top half above climate all the way off. Easy deal.

lol I told you this was going to be a custom JOB, I am thinking if I had a 3 d printer to make a new frame to make it fit flush .
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    How is the function of the actual radio though?
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ DOOM View Post
    How is the function of the actual radio though?
    The radio is functioning great, so far no complaints. The best way to play clear sound with this DSP trick is to set the head unit volume to a nice pre amp level of around 15 then you use the steering control to control master dsp amp volume. I disabled the volume control of the head unit by steering so now I have super clear dsp volume control and the unit pre amps out nice and clear.

If you do it the other way and use the head unit volume to drive the volume it gets choppy when you have it up loud.

The only other sound quality issue I had was the base was super over driven so I turned it most of the way down on the trunk unit.

I have an amplified metra antenna coming soon to help with e38 crap radio signals. Still need to put in the back up cam and dvr as well.
    Last edited by xboss; 04-04-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Hey MJ, have you ever used a volt regulator for a head unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Power-Su...xYLRy0&vxp=mtr

My xtrons unit is not saving memory on some starts because my big old 750 cranks hard and needs a new battery soon so if the volts dip under 10 the head unit memory fails. Happens once in a while, I read up on other peeps with the same issue. New alt and battery this Summer but I was wondering if I could solve it by just adding a reg to the memory wire feed.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Hey MJ, have you ever used a volt regulator for a head unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Power-Su...xYLRy0&vxp=mtr

My xtrons unit is not saving memory on some starts because my big old 750 cranks hard and needs a new battery soon so if the volts dip under 10 the head unit memory fails. Happens once in a while, I read up on other peeps with the same issue. New alt and battery this Summer but I was wondering if I could solve it by just adding a reg to the memory wire feed.
    No clue on this one, never had this issue.
    Spaceships & Woodgrain.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    HEY
    I just ordered a non navigation frame look at it flush and I think the Unit fits in better that the navigation frame.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I have both versions. I ended up cutting the non nav frame off at the climate box and now I can get the unit to line up perfectly flush. I just need to make all the mounts up now and it's set. Lots of pics to come soon guys
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I have both versions. I ended up cutting the non nav frame off at the climate box and now I can get the unit to line up perfectly flush. I just need to make all the mounts up now and it's set. Lots of pics to come soon guys
    Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Latest update:

I have been working on fitment and the final build of the frame.

I found out that some of the settings reset if battery voltage drops below 10.8V so I am going to put a regulator on the constant memory feed line. This will put out an even 12V no matter what voltage the battery is at. The problem is that I need a new battery soon and the big ol 750 tends to drop the voltage below 10.8 on startups.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/391746044291

Strange that they would have most settings save to the hd but some save like a dumb old radio with battery memory.

Still no major complaints. The most annoying thing to me so far is that the reverse cam triggers as you row past R in the gear selector. So if you want to go from park to drive your screen flashes over to the reverse cam then flashes back because you are not in reverse. Same applies to drive to park. The input switching takes a couple few seconds to switch and switch back. Pretty dumb. I actually reported it to them and told them how to fix it so maybe someday an update.

I have another finding, these units can get too hot in our e38 box. Franco mentioned an issue and he thought he had a heat leak from the hvac but I tested the open area with the defrost on and the area cooks! My unit got super sluggish tonight so I thought about the heat because I had it on pretty high so I turned off the heat and within just a minute the unit picked right back up to being super fast. I'm thinking of ways to cool it off. Yes, it should be able to handle heat better but that area should not be that hot. Maybe I have a leak.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Update:

I got the new unit in today. I plugged it up and it is working but I dont have the trunk workaround plugged in yet to set the bass and stuff. Right now it's base heavy.

Anyway, the connections in the back just got easier. MJDOOM was correct that pin 16 will trigger the amp to come on. It's a blue wire with a quick disconnect and I did not have it connected last time I tested it.

So the wiring in the trunk is real simple. You simply need to give the cassette radio two lines of power. One constant for memory and one ignition switched and then a ground wire to complete the power of the device and then all you do is patch ibus into the amp ibus connection and it's all set. Pics of the stuff installed in the trunk coming soon.

Fitment is decent like the pics on page one but not awesome. I'm going to try to see how it fits in a cut version of the mid and cassette radio frame because the wide screen nav fram is not quite right to get super flush. It sits like half an inch out and is not really visible but if you like fitment it does not fly.
    Just coming into this thread not having read all of it, but there is probabl purple in the trunk. There definitely is on Nav models anyway - the terminal R unloader relay is mounted there. Don't remember if your car had nav.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/134390
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I found that purple line. My old dealer installed nav had lines to it. Forgot about them because I had them tucked away but yes, they were tapped into the spot you are talking about.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I was driving along wondering how to cool that area when it hit me that the radio box is sitting directly under a fresh cool air vent! I kinda do not even like that driver alertness function the vent provides and usually have it turned off. So what I am going to do is simply cut a one inch diameter hole into the bottom of that plastic vent feed and boom, fresh cool air to counter the hvac box and summer heat. I suppose all it will do to that vent is provide less air since some escapes but that is perfect!
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I was driving along wondering how to cool that area when it hit me that the radio box is sitting directly under a fresh cool air vent! I kinda do not even like that driver alertness function the vent provides and usually have it turned off. So what I am going to do is simply cut a one inch diameter hole into the bottom of that plastic vent feed and boom, fresh cool air to counter the hvac box and summer heat. I suppose all it will do to that vent is provide less air since some escapes but that is perfect!

OK I hear you but them the dash will get hot I am wondering if your idea will work I have a leather dash and that does not help because the dash will get hot as well don't you agree.

- - - Updated - - -

I found that purple line. My old dealer installed nav had lines to it. Forgot about them because I had them tucked away but yes, they were tapped into the spot you are talking about.

What
    is the purple wire for also the radio has a secret menu remember I told you that gives you more settings
    El Cid 1999 IL

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Purple wires in our cars are switched power.

The dash will get hot but the radio box will have a constant fresh air feed so there is no way it could hurt! I doubt there will be much issue in the Summer since the radio will be sitting right on top of AC. Pretty much whatever the HVAC is doing causes major swings in temp in there.

I'm going to try out one of these circuit timers to see if I can get the false positives to stop when passing the R gear to drive or park on the reverse cam system:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Delay-Ti...sAAOSwARZXnQDB

I'm going to see if I can get the reverse cam to come on only if the shifter is in reverse for half a second or longer. That way when you row the gears past R you do not get the screen to flash from computer view to reverse cam then back which is lame. My buddies new ford fusion does the same thing with it's factory nav!
    Last edited by xboss; 04-10-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Am I mistaken in that you no longer need to separate the screen from the receiver?

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by noobbiker View Post
    Am I mistaken in that you no longer need to separate the screen from the receiver?
    This radio like pretty much all of them out there you need to split them. It was no big deal though. You just cut the two mount tabs off the back plate with tin snips then move the box 2 inches over and then I riveted it all back together with a couple added tabs.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 740i
    Easy enough. I thought you needed to move it to the glove box or something. Very interested in this project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    It's coming out pretty nice. Finalizing the fit and all the antenna's and stuff. Pics soon. Gotta ship a homelink to ryan as well. I did end up moving the mid to the glovebox for now.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    I bought an amplified antenna to see if you can get better reception but it sucked and was a nice one by metra.

I ended up patching a regular antenna end to the BMW which is a funky connector. Is there an adaptor from that? Another thing that was in question is how the car radio had two antenna connections. Is one AM and one FM? I used the fatter one.
    Doesnt matter since I cut it but for other people you will need one or a cut as well.

The good news is that now the reception is super clear. Better than the original radio that was using the same antenna.
    Z1XX Upholstery
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast