Thread: Anybody familiar with 2A99 & 2A9F codes?

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough

Anybody familiar with 2A99 & 2A9F codes?

The car is a 2006 325i, automatic, with 178,000 miles. About two weeks ago I was getting an SES light and the codes that were registered were a 2AA1 (camshaft sensor exhaust signal), and 2A9F, (camshaft sensor exhaust synchronization). I installed a new exhaust cam sensor which resolved the 2AA1, however, shortly thereafter, the SES came back on now with the same 2A9F as well as a 2A99, (crankshaft, exhaust camshaft correlation). I tried swapping solenoids and the same 2A9F and 2A99 came back. Installed new solenoids, (originals were still in place), still the same 2A99 & 2A9F. Tried a battery reset, same result. Car runs and idles normally, SES most always comes on at idle accompanied by what I would describe as a brief engine "shake", then the idle returns to normal with no other symptoms. Engine has 3000 miles since previous oil change, oil level shows to be near full.
    Google searches return no helpful information for an N52 with these codes.
    Hopefully, somebody can advise that this is a simple something that I'm missing. Just hoping that it's not the exhaust bearing ledge.
    Thanks in advance.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 91e34M5 View Post
    The car is a 2006 325i, automatic, with 178,000 miles. About two weeks ago I was getting an SES light and the codes that were registered were a 2AA1 (camshaft sensor exhaust signal), and 2A9F, (camshaft sensor exhaust synchronization). I installed a new exhaust cam sensor which resolved the 2AA1, however, shortly thereafter, the SES came back on now with the same 2A9F as well as a 2A99, (crankshaft, exhaust camshaft correlation). I tried swapping solenoids and the same 2A9F and 2A99 came back. Installed new solenoids, (originals were still in place), still the same 2A99 & 2A9F. Tried a battery reset, same result. Car runs and idles normally, SES most always comes on at idle accompanied by what I would describe as a brief engine "shake", then the idle returns to normal with no other symptoms. Engine has 3000 miles since previous oil change, oil level shows to be near full.
    Hopefully, somebody can advise that this is a simple something that I'm missing. Just hoping that it's not the exhaust bearing ledge.
    Thanks in advance.
    It could be VANOS solenoid, camshaft position sensor, Valvetronic (eccentric shaft) sensor, or camshaft bearing ledges for those codes. It sounds like you have ruled out the first two. Just to be sure, did you use new OEM parts? I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd be leaning towards bearing ledges on this one. The N52 and N54 engines from the early years used a steel rectanguring that seals against the aluminum alloy bearing ledge. Unsurprisingly the steel eats into the aluminum, and VANOS/Camshaft oil pressure bleeds off. The later seals were made of Teflon, so this problem does not occur. I've done this job on my N54, it's really not terrible to DIY if you have the tools. I rented the timing tools. It's tough to diagnose the bearing ledges without taking it apart, so you might rule out all other options first, if the cost isn't too bad. You might pop the connector for the eccentric shaft sensor to ensure that oil isn't in it. If you see oil, replace the sensor.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    It could be VANOS solenoid, camshaft position sensor, Valvetronic (eccentric shaft) sensor, or camshaft bearing ledges for those codes. It sounds like you have ruled out the first two. Just to be sure, did you use new OEM parts? I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd be leaning towards bearing ledges on this one. The N52 and N54 engines from the early years used a steel rectanguring that seals against the aluminum alloy bearing ledge. Unsurprisingly the steel eats into the aluminum, and VANOS/Camshaft oil pressure bleeds off. The later seals were made of Teflon, so this problem does not occur. I've done this job on my N54, it's really not terrible to DIY if you have the tools. I rented the timing tools. It's tough to diagnose the bearing ledges without taking it apart, so you might rule out all other options first, if the cost isn't too bad. You might pop the connector for the eccentric shaft sensor to ensure that oil isn't in it. If you see oil, replace the sensor.
    Thank you for the reply & info. I did not use BMW parts, but I did procure name brand aftermarket. At first chance, I will check the eccentric shaft sensor. I had not considered that as a possibility. Pretty sure the valve cover gasket is in need of replacement anyway in the event the ESS needs replacement.
    Regarding the bearing ledge replacement, I have viewed some video on the process and I believe the repair is within my capabilities.
    What symptoms were you having?
    Did you use a Bentley or some other guide for the repair?
    Where did you rent the timing tools?
    Considering the mileage on the engine, I'm hesitant to go to a whole lot of effort and expense especially since the engine still runs well. I have an indy that I trust and before I get too far into this, I'm going to let them do a full diagnostic. They have been extremely helpful a couple of times in the past, and I'll trust them again to hopefully pinpoint the issue, only problem is that they are over an hour away from me.
    Current Garage:
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Thank you for the reply & info. I did not use BMW parts, but I did procure name brand aftermarket. At first chance, I will check the eccentric shaft sensor. I had not considered that as a possibility. Pretty sure the valve cover gasket is in need of replacement anyway in the event the ESS needs replacement.
    Regarding the bearing ledge replacement, I have viewed some video on the process and I believe the repair is within my capabilities.
    What symptoms were you having?
    Did you use a Bentley or some other guide for the repair?
    Where did you rent the timing tools?
    Considering the mileage on the engine, I'm hesitant to go to a whole lot of effort and expense especially since the engine still runs well. I have an indy that I trust and before I get too far into this, I'm going to let them do a full diagnostic. They have been extremely helpful a couple of times in the past, and I'll trust them again to hopefully pinpoint the issue, only problem is that they are over an hour away from me.
    I bought my car with a broken camshaft. Somebody worked on the car and failed to tighten the back 4 bolts on the bearing ledge, so it starved the rearmost cam bearing of oil, causing it to seize and snap. I got a really pretty set of used camshafts with bearing ledges for $275, so I replaced both cams and both ledges along with the updated Teflon seals. I use the Bentley manual, online guides, and the TIS documentation built into ISTA. The Bentley manual is fantastic, I think that was my main guide for the project. I rented the timing tools from bimmertoolrental.com, I've used them a couple times and they are great. I don't know what's involved with Valvetronic since I have the N54, but it should be similar. If you decide to tackle the job, get a decent 1/4" torque wrench, and a torque angle gauge. Loosen all the ledge bolts evenly, and tighten them evenly so you don't snap the camshaft or bearing ledge. The valve springs are very strong, so take your time and work sequentially a quarter turn at a time with the 14 or so bolts holding down each tray. Also pay attention to the part about the cam lobe positions, it is posible to put them in backwards and it's bad. You can certainly DIY it

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    I bought my car with a broken camshaft. Somebody worked on the car and failed to tighten the back 4 bolts on the bearing ledge, so it starved the rearmost cam bearing of oil, causing it to seize and snap. I got a really pretty set of used camshafts with bearing ledges for $275, so I replaced both cams and both ledges along with the updated Teflon seals. I use the Bentley manual, online guides, and the TIS documentation built into ISTA. The Bentley manual is fantastic, I think that was my main guide for the project. I rented the timing tools from bimmertoolrental.com, I've used them a couple times and they are great. I don't know what's involved with Valvetronic since I have the N54, but it should be similar. If you decide to tackle the job, get a decent 1/4" torque wrench, and a torque angle gauge. Loosen all the ledge bolts evenly, and tighten them evenly so you don't snap the camshaft or bearing ledge. The valve springs are very strong, so take your time and work sequentially a quarter turn at a time with the 14 or so bolts holding down each tray. Also pay attention to the part about the cam lobe positions, it is posible to put them in backwards and it's bad. You can certainly DIY it
    Thanks for the input RS...too bad you're not close by and I would draft you in if necessary. I'll be exhausting all avenues before I go the bearing ledge route. I'll follow up with final outcome.
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    1995 525i-a
    From where did you rent the timing tools?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by drillerjoe View Post
    From where did you rent the timing tools?

I used bimmertoolrental.com
    I don't think he rents tools out anymore, I can't find him.
    You can find N52/N54 timing kits for around $100. Two issues with the knockoff kits.
    1-the crankshaft lock pin is a hair too big, so you may need to sand it down by 0.1mm-0.2mm or so.
    2-some of the kits don't have the timing chain tensioner plug. You absolutely need that tool, don't rely on the hydraulic tensioner for timing.
    P.s. Replace any torque to yield fasteners like the camshaft/vanos bolt. Only turn the crank bolt to the right, NEVER turn it to the left.
    Last edited by RocketSurgeon; 12-18-2017 at 05:57 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i-a
    I used bimmertoolrental.com
    I don't think he rents tools out anymore, I can't find him.
    You can find N52/N54 timing kits for around $100. Two issues with the knockoff kits.
    1-the crankshaft lock pin is a hair too big, so you may need to sand it down by 0.1mm-0.2mm or so.
    2-some of the kits don't have the timing chain tensioner plug. You absolutely need that tool, don't rely on the hydraulic tensioner for timing.
    Roger that. I've dropped the car at cardenas BMW in Harlingen for them to sort it out. Lol

My Cars
    E53/E46
    Thanks in advance.
    I know this is year old thread. I just wondering what was the end result of this issue. Please up date. Thank you.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
    I know this is year old thread. I just wondering what was the end result of this issue. Please up date. Thank you.
    The issue is still not resolved. Still getting a CEL for a 2a99 and 2a9f. Only symptom is an occasional idle surge and on rare occasions it will stall but restart immediately. The vehicle is my daughters who lives about 40 minutes away, but we recently acquired an X5d and daughter is now driving our X3. The e90 just arrived at our house this last weekend which will give me more time to play with it. I now have a scanner that has significant diagnostic ability which hopefully will provide better evaluation. If I ever resolve the issue, I will post here.
    Current Garage:

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Update: Hopefully resolved....after TWO YEARS!
    We still have this vehicle and it currently has 195,500 miles. I've done a ton of maintenance on the engine over the last 6 months, VCG, OFHG, ESS, Coils, Spark plugs, radiator, hoses, and just yesterday I changed the oil. I was still getting the 2a99 and 2a9f codes, but recently got a 2aa1, (exhaust cam sensor signal), code again. In advance of the oil change, I purchased a new VDO exhaust cam sensor and installed it at the same time I changed the oil. Afterwards, I cleared the codes, and to my surprise, 3 days later and no check engine light. Idle is smooth with no more surging as it was doing prior to the new cam sensor. I can only surmise that the exhaust cam sensor I installed 2 years ago was faulty from the factory. Checked my records and found that the first replacement sensor was a Meyle. I'll not be buying that brand ever again.
    Current Garage: