BAVToys

Thread: My e90 headlights are driving me nuts-

My Cars
    1986 635Csi, 1981 320i

My e90 headlights are driving me nuts-

2007 335i e90 110k Miles

I am a newbie on the lighting Forum, and to the e90. I've owned about a dozen "old school" Bimmers (3.0CS, e30s, e23, e24s, e28s, and an e32) but no modern super-computerized vehicles like the e90.

The left headlight lamp burned out, so I replaced it, and it appeared to work fine.
    Then I got a warning light "Headlight Adaptation Fault" (I think that was the wording).

Plugged in 2 different scan tools (Launch 431X and Autel MaxiDas DS708) and they both showed identical results as below.

The faults shown in the foot well module were:

1) 9CC0 Communication w/ step motor controller on the right disrupted.
    2) 9CBF Communication w/ step motor controller on the left disrupted
    3) A8AA Dipped beam left faulty

The left headlight is pointed full left (makes the car look wall-eyed), and the right side is pointed fine.

We tried to reset the faults, and the A8AA fault went away (but the left headlight was still pointed askew), but faults 1 and 2 (above) would not reset.

Both scanners showed a computer communications fault that was preventing a reset of the 2 remaining faults.

I also used the activation feature of the scantools to see if I could make the headlight motors operate, and neither scantool could make either headlight move, and the scanners showed a "communication fault."

After the attempted resets, the #3 above (A8AA) did reset, but now a new code is present: FRM:ALS System Faulty 9315, plus I still have faults #1 & #2 above.

To ME (and I don't know much about the system), it now seems I have a communications problem between a major control system and the actual headlights that have the servo stepper motors inside them.

I am guessing that the fact I had the left headlight bulb burn out shortly before ( a matter of days before I got the warning text) is a coincidence, but I've also learned there are few coincidences in life, so that's why I am asking here in case someone else has had similar problem.

A search of the Forum didn't turn anything identical up, but I may have missed it.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions,
    Bob

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    This is what I suspect:
    Real OEM diagram w/photo-#3:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_0918
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-15-2017 at 12:59 AM.

My Cars
    1986 635Csi, 1981 320i
    Thanks-

I suspected corrosion due to the fact when I moved the H/L assembly a couple of drops of condensation dropped onto the interior of the lens, so I blew cold air from a hair drier through the removed assembly to make sure it was perfectly dry. I removed all of the internal connectors and they are clean as a whistle.

The socket you show looks pretty clean (see photo), though there IS some minor insulation crumbling inside the assembly, though it's minor, and no bare wires are near any others (you can see 1/8" of exposed copper in the second photo). The dealer said that alone is justification for replacement of both assemblies, but that seem severe at this point (I have since read that insulation crumbling is the rule rather than the exception on these assemblies).

I am at a loss to explain why I have the 1st and 2nd faults (neither headlight is communicating with the module, so trying to activate the headlight adjustments using the scantool is fruitless). I could believe ONE bad H/L assembly or module, but BOTH?

But as I say I am new to the "new" BMWs and maybe they are prone to such problems requiring replacement after 8 years.

Is there a way to test the assemblies out of the vehicle, or is substitution the only way? Is there a way to know that the assembly is the problem, and not one of the modules?

thanks-
    Bob

Click to enlarge images.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You can attempt to clean up both connections with electronic contact cleaner spray.
    I don't know of any test procedures, but it's early in the thread, maybe someone will chime in.

My Cars
    1986 635Csi, 1981 320i
    I take it that this module is a major source of problems w/ the lights?

I'll look at the part #s to make sure they are interchangeable L to Right and try swapping them to see if the L headlight will move, though given that BOTH H/Ls show communications problems, maybe both have problems, but the right is the more obvious because that one is pointing off the road.

I'd also love to know if the faults shown on both sides ("Communication w/ step motor controller on the right/left disrupted.") are enough to create that text warning "Headlight Adaptation Fault"

Still trying to imagine if the fault is just in the headlight, or higher up the food chain in a component that controls both headlights.

This will be a learning experience for sure!