Page 43 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051525368 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1931

Thread: m52 Turbo Build

My Cars
    86 325es
    Since you are using a pump you could run it to the drain fitting. Also butters always recommends adding a vent line to the turbo drain so that it can get air in. In your case with the pump it should allow the pump to prime itself better rather that just sucking against the turbo.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Since you are using a pump you could run it to the drain fitting. Also butters always recommends adding a vent line to the turbo drain so that it can get air in. In your case with the pump it should allow the pump to prime itself better rather that just sucking against the turbo.
    I have found that with precision turbos, a vent seems to be needed. Not really with the Garretts and BW's tho. I believe MikeR long ago used to build boxes with a vent line for this issue. I just don't think the precision's are as robust as the OE style turbos.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I cant say for a fact the it didn't smoke with draining the turbo directly into a pan, I don't think I ran the car long enough but I didn't see any.

I just can't wrap my head around some of this stuff that's happened with this car; how things have worked great and they it all goes to sh%t in day.

Only 2 things have changed since it wasn't smoking:

1. Changed angle of oil feed line
    2. Tightened old feed coupler because it was leaking. Maybe it wasn't smoking before because of the leak?

With my luck it would probably be a ring land.

Butters, so your saying just take something like a brass T right after the drain and run a line upwards so oil doesn't leak out?

I was think about tapping the oil bolt 1/2 NPT and running oil through the pan to get any debris out and being done with it.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Yes. I use a pex (shark bite) fitting. 5/8-1/2-5/8 then run the line up to the top of the motor to a breather. It gives a place for the oil to go if getting backed up. Never comes out .
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Alright, well I guess I'll try it... Hopefully it fixes it. If not ring-lands are probably toast

Looks like ill be rolling out to the Lowes this weekend, too bad its not in an e36!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Boosts 10 psi, breaks ring lands?
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    His ring lands aren't broken. He says it doesn't smoke when warm except after a hard pull.

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    If a water cooled center section has cool water entering on the bottom of the turbo and heat soaked coolant leaving the top (low versus high not actually top and bottom) the coolant will still flow after shutdown and cool the center section to prevent coking, bubbles blah blah blah.

so in an oil thermosiphon same principal but cooler oil in the bottom of the oil pan will be drawn through the center section and pushed out hotter and if its dumped to the top of the oil pan with the other hotter oil dont you still get a thermosiphon on the oil side that last until all temp stabilizes?

is it possible you have a thermosiphon (maybe different orientations) that is restricted and flows out the seal instead of making it back to where its supposed to go?

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore it seems like if you have this problem and cant rearange the hose orientation to break the siphon a vent that people have sucess with would probably fix this exact problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a test could be to lower your oil levels to break the siphon

My Cars
    86 325es
    I think the problem is that you need to have air in the center section of the turbo in order for the oil to drain away from the seals on the end. If your feeding oil in at the top and the drain is below the level of oil in the pan the constant feed of oil in from the top is going to push all the air down and out the drain so the center section is going to fill up since there is nowhere for the air to get in and allow the oil to drain away from the seals. Its like if you turn a gallon milk jug upside down and the water can't get out because the air can't get in. I think thats why butters vent trick works, it lets the air into the center section so the oil can get out rather than being totally filled with oil.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    At idle very little oil is moving since pressure is low. When HPF came up with the vent for the E46 M3 turbos, they said it was a high boost only need. I think the problem is limited to cold starts for a reason. I suspect that reason is oil flowing to the turbo drain and center after shutdown, but someone else made a good point about oil on cold start being thicker so maybe thicker oil not moving as quickly has something to do with it.

And then there is the question of why do some cars have issues and not others despite what seem to be similar systems. I can't answer that but since I did it for 7 years with 3 different turbos, 2 different manifolds and 2 different scavenge pump systems (that used different sized lines and different pumps), I know it can be done. My turbos were all ball bearing though and all had restrictors either built in or in the line so their flow was less, but I did not need a vent or check valve or timer but did use a small sump and I pumped back into the pan not very high up for a while and then the dipstick tube stem (With a drilled base) and then into a bung on the top of the pan.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    I've learned to assume the worst and hope for the best with this build.

Maybe overboosted briefly. Ha

Just confuses me that the car didn't smoke with the same exact setup prior. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    His ring lands aren't broken. He says it doesn't smoke when warm except after a hard pull.
    Its pretty much smoking all the time now, extremely consistently.

Idle, cruise, and WOT (although its would obviously be less visible at WOT).

My Cars
    98 m3
    Not ring land. You have a good compression test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by bry195 View Post
    If a water cooled center section has cool water entering on the bottom of the turbo and heat soaked coolant leaving the top (low versus high not actually top and bottom) the coolant will still flow after shutdown and cool the center section to prevent coking, bubbles blah blah blah.

so in an oil thermosiphon same principal but cooler oil in the bottom of the oil pan will be drawn through the center section and pushed out hotter and if its dumped to the top of the oil pan with the other hotter oil dont you still get a thermosiphon on the oil side that last until all temp stabilizes?

is it possible you have a thermosiphon (maybe different orientations) that is restricted and flows out the seal instead of making it back to where its supposed to go?

- - - Updated - - -

Furthermore it seems like if you have this problem and cant rearange the hose orientation to break the siphon a vent that people have sucess with would probably fix this exact problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Or a test could be to lower your oil levels to break the siphon
    Oil level is definitely bit a lower now as I've lost some due to testing, still does the same thing.

I've changed the hose orientation slightly and was able to make them significantly more short. I reversed polarity on the pump so the hoses aren't wrapped like they were before in the first diagrams I posted.

now there like this: Didn't make a difference though

My Cars
    98 m3
    Also its pretty clear that its the pump system when removing the pump fixes it.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    At idle very little oil is moving since pressure is low. When HPF came up with the vent for the E46 M3 turbos, they said it was a high boost only need. I think the problem is limited to cold starts for a reason. I suspect that reason is oil flowing to the turbo drain and center after shutdown, but someone else made a good point about oil on cold start being thicker so maybe thicker oil not moving as quickly has something to do with it.

And then there is the question of why do some cars have issues and not others despite what seem to be similar systems. I can't answer that but since I did it for 7 years with 3 different turbos, 2 different manifolds and 2 different scavenge pump systems (that used different sized lines and different pumps), I know it can be done. My turbos were all ball bearing though and all had restrictors either built in or in the line so their flow was less, but I did not need a vent or check valve or timer but did use a small sump and I pumped back into the pan not very high up for a while and then the dipstick tube stem (With a drilled base) and then into a bung on the top of the pan.
    Makes complete sense. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around why it worked fine at first? I can't figure it out. It makes me think that something else has changed or has deteriorated that I don't know about.

I've never dealt with this car ever behaving like this. The car for the most part used to pretty easy to work and following particular and known troubleshooting models would solve problems practically. Now it its like it has a mind of its own.

I think Zack may be creating auto-robots in attempt to take over the world, these are just its beginning stages. Who knows what its plans are next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post
    Not ring land. You have a good compression test.

These compression tests can be misleading though.

I did do the test twice, I think I did 4-5 revolutions on the first test and got really low weird numbers like

140psi 1, 3, 4, 6
    136psi 2, 5

I redid the test like 20 minutes later at about 7-8 revolutions and the around 150 on 5 cylinders and like 146 on the other.

The test I did months ago I got like 145 on all cylinders except 1 of them was like 142 if I recall

Bentley calls for 4-6 revolutions so not sure what to think at this point.

So hell if I know

- - - Updated - - -

Also its pretty clear that its the pump system when removing the pump fixes it.

I removed the pump from the equitation and ran the car not long at all because I didn't want to lose too much oil. I don't think it really ran long enough to tell if there was smoke but your right it did not smoke.

Maybe I can grab some cheap oil and run it through and let run a bit longer and see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just used to sh^t making sense... Stuff with this car makes zero sense.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 09-28-2017 at 07:56 AM.

My Cars
    98 m3

m52 Turbo Build

Between the gauge, the temperature of the intake, the ambient temperature, altitude and so on the peak pressure will always change.

Seeing 2-3% deviation across all cylinders is good. If you had 10% deviation we would want to see a leak down test.

Was the car hot while it was running? If so it would immediately smoke.

Fix your oil drain :p

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post

Its pretty much smoking all the time now, extremely consistently.

Idle, cruise, and WOT (although its would obviously be less visible at WOT).
    I would be trying to rule out any internal engine problems since that is a much harder fix.

How many miles have you driven since you flooded the exhaust with oil? If it is 500, then I agree the oil should have burned or been blown out.

Crankcase vent issues can also cause oil loss or smoking. I think that tiny breather you have is too small. I'd run open instead of that. A 3 inch tall 3 inch diameter breather filter would be better.

What if the pump is having a hard time pumping through your undrilled dipstick tube? The tube is a funny construction, with an inner and outer liner in the bottom end.

Have you tried a restrictor on your feed line? Not sure what size is recommended with a PT 6262 journal bearing. Maybe .060? With less oil going through, there is less for the pump to do and less to pool up.

Is the clocking of the turbo good? If the drain is more than about 1 hour off the 6:00 position on a clock, there can be oil accumulating in the center section. Some can get away with more -- mine is at about 7:30 but I carefully inspected the center section passage and figured I could get away with that.

My Cars
    1995 325i, 1998 M3 Coupe
    I think pbonsalb is on to something with your ccv vent being to small. When the oil is cold and can't flow as fast would most likely cause it to back up a little until warm. Why it seems to be a new issue I can only assume that's the exhaust has oil in it. Also maybe there's more crank case pressure while the engines cold compounding the issue.

Pull the ccv fitting off of the valve cover and see if that helps on a cold start. Maybe also enlarge the drain.

Stop worring yourself with compression tests!

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I would be trying to rule out any internal engine problems since that is a much harder fix.

I agree. Anytime I get smoke or something of this nature I like too compression test and rule out that the motor is still healthy before I keep dumping time and more money into this car.

How many miles have you driven since you flooded the exhaust with oil? If it is 500, then I agree the oil should have burned or been blown out.

Maybe 5 or so miles of heavy driving and tons of idling. When it initially happened I let the car idle for a long time before it stopped smoking.

Crankcase vent issues can also cause oil loss or smoking. I think that tiny breather you have is too small. I'd run open instead of that. A 3 inch tall 3 inch diameter breather filter would be better.

I completely removed that filter and am currently running it open and have been for awhile now

What if the pump is having a hard time pumping through your undrilled dipstick tube? The tube is a funny construction, with an inner and outer liner in the bottom end.

The tube is has been drilled and I used a dremel cut the other entire side of the tube out for extra measure. I made sure this was done when I installed the pump

Have you tried a restrictor on your feed line? Not sure what size is recommended with a PT 6262 journal bearing. Maybe .060? With less oil going through, there is less for the pump to do and less to pool up.

I have not tried a restrictor because I didn't have the issue prior to the pump not running pulling out of my driveway.

Is the clocking of the turbo good? If the drain is more than about 1 hour off the 6:00 position on a clock, there can be oil accumulating in the center section. Some can get away with more -- mine is at about 7:30 but I carefully inspected the center section passage and figured I could get away with that.
    Heres a pic of turbo clock

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jakeE36325 View Post
    I think pbonsalb is on to something with your ccv vent being to small. When the oil is cold and can't flow as fast would most likely cause it to back up a little until warm. Why it seems to be a new issue I can only assume that's the exhaust has oil in it. Also maybe there's more crank case pressure while the engines cold compounding the issue.

Pull the ccv fitting off of the valve cover and see if that helps on a cold start. Maybe also enlarge the drain.

Stop worring yourself with compression tests!
    I've had the filter removed for the past few days.

The video I posted of the car smoking was with the CCV filter removed.

Very little has gone in my favor with this car or build (other than you guys helping me out). So I'm learning to assume the worst. And the only reason I'm looking elsewhere IE compression is because the drain setup worked fine prior and the car will not stop smoking and is extremely thick upon cold start its sat overnight.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 09-28-2017 at 10:36 AM.

My Cars
    98 m3

m52 Turbo Build

Lol turbo is way too clocked.

/thread

So very bfc of us. "Lets calculate the viscosity" before the basics. (Although i thought i mentioned to check this earlier in the thread)

---

Funny note on my car i had a basic air filter (waiting on this fancy one that never showed up) and i was having oil issues in the charge pipes.

I was totally pissed because i made a custom twinscroll just for this turbo and the ONLY condition i gave myself was gravity drain.

I spent like two weeks troubleshooting and finally called pte pretty pissed, "why is my brand new baller turbo having such a hard time? Nono its a 35mm id drain line.. nono i used the correct restrictor..." and he laughed, "people dont run air filters on turbos that big. Bs give me an answer on which filter will work! Nope no one runs one, goodluck!"

Swapped the air fliter... dry as can be, picked up 100rpm spool easy. Life is so hard sometimes.

Last edited by vollosso; 09-28-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    [QUOTE=vollosso;29841020]Lol turbo is way to clocked.

/thread

huh but it had been working??

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Lol turbo is way too clocked.

/thread

So very bfc of us. "Lets calculate the viscosity" before the basics. (Although i thought i mentioned to check this earlier in the thread)

---

Funny note on my car i had a basic air filter (waiting on this fancy one that never showed up) and i was having oil issues in the charge pipes.

I was totally pissed because i made a custom twinscroll just for this turbo and the ONLY condition i gave myself was gravity drain.

I spent like two weeks troubleshooting and finally called pte pretty pissed, "why is my brand new baller turbo having such a hard time? Nono its a 35mm id drain line.. nono i used the correct restrictor..." and he laughed, "people dont run air filters on turbos that big. Bs give me an answer on which filter will work! Nope no one runs one, goodluck!"

Swapped the air fliter... dry as can be, picked up 100rpm spool easy. Life is so hard sometimes.

Maybe ill try to take my airfilter off, it is new

My Cars
    98 m3
    [QUOTE=328iFun;29841024]
    Lol turbo is way to clocked.

/thread

huh but it had been working??
    Its hard to say exactly. Especially because removing the drain line fixed it. But It looks too clocked to me. Garrett has long posted a 15* of vertical and you are maybe double that.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    Maybe ill try to take my airfilter off, it is new
    That only helps oily charge pipes not exhaust.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    01 530i
    ---

Funny note on my car i had a basic air filter (waiting on this fancy one that never showed up)

Vollosso, what super fancy air filter did you switch to?
    Last edited by s13flyboy; 09-28-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Page 43 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748495051525368 ... LastLast