Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: m52 Turbo Build

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Yeah, I believe they would.

Just a minor set back I guess. I'm just impatient and especially when people waste my time. The guy tried to blame it on me, I told him it wasn't even bolted up yet. Tried telling me I ran it without a oil restrictor. I put a little oil in it to see if helped, it didn't. I noticed as soon as I took it out of the box I heard a scraping when I spun the wheel but it went away then started again.

I saw gt35's that would spin for days on youtube when barely touched and this one was nothing like that

Manifold is supposed to arrive tomorrow was hoping I could get everything bolted to the head

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    If I were you I'd look into buying a new turbo.

I was on a strict budget but I bought a new turbo. Look into borg warner. There turbos are cheap, will last a million miles, make really solid power, and spool isn't awful if you set it up right. My s366sxe hits 16psi at 3900 in 4th gear and that was on pump gas and a old tune. I'm thinking I'll see 3600 with e85 and my new tune and that's really excellent for a big turbo on a 3.2.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Im beginning to pile together pieces for my build and after seeing this im def buying new. Im a HUGE fan of ebay but for the $300 $400 difference and assurance its def worth it, to me anyways. Sucks but just a minor upset, at least it wasn't installed a few months down the road when you found this out!

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    If I were you I'd look into buying a new turbo.

I was on a strict budget but I bought a new turbo. Look into borg warner. There turbos are cheap, will last a million miles, make really solid power, and spool isn't awful if you set it up right. My s366sxe hits 16psi at 3900 in 4th gear and that was on pump gas and a old tune. I'm thinking I'll see 3600 with e85 and my new tune and that's really excellent for a big turbo on a 3.2.
    I was looking at the Borg Warner's awhile back and they look fine but I really like the DBB, I've read great things about them.

I might have to go ahead and just get a brand new gt35r. I figure its the 'heart' of the build so it should be of good quality.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 03-26-2017 at 05:42 PM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
    Im beginning to pile together pieces for my build and after seeing this im def buying new. Im a HUGE fan of ebay but for the $300 $400 difference and assurance its def worth it, to me anyways. Sucks but just a minor upset, at least it wasn't installed a few months down the road when you found this out!
    Yeah your right about that. The item was listed as new for $1050, which is reasonable for older model gt35.

But I made sure wiggled and wobbled the bearings and spun them with a little oil in there before I even thought about bolting it up, especially when I heard scraping right out of the box.

Might have to go ahead and order a new one once the guy refunds me. I don't know what is about eBay anymore, its hard to tell who you are buying from:

When I was sanding my car down I hit bondo on the rear fender. Fender slightly dinged, nothing major but PO decided to bondo the entire panel for whatever reason, instead of beating the dings inward and filling them. I'd been wanting to fender flares for quite awhile so I looked around for some; the reigers were super expensive so I decided to just go with a basic fiberglass flare. Well I find a guy on eBay who was located out of Richmond, Virginia (not far from me) whereas all the other sellers were shipping from Taiwan, China, or some other place where we all know crappy parts are made. So I was like well Ill order form the guy in Richmond and they were considerably more expensive than their over seas counterparts, so I figured its worth since they're either already in the US or were made in the US. Well, its been 4 weeks and still no flares. I email the guy, "oh, I'm sorry these are made order parts we get from overseas." So the dudes basically selling me Taiwan/Chinese garbage that's advertised as 'item location, US'. What a joke

Amazon > eBay
    Last edited by 328iFun; 03-26-2017 at 05:35 PM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    What about Turbonetics? I've seen a GT35 by them everywhere and also 'Mamba'. Looks like there made in Taiwan, just curious

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Buy a Garrett GT3582R, not a Chinese copy or turbonetics version. Or buy some other proven turbo. Like from Borg Warner, Garrett or Precision.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Buy a Garrett GT3582R, not a Chinese copy or turbonetics version. Or buy some other proven turbo. Like from Borg Warner, Garrett or Precision.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Got some more goodies in today:

best upload pic

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Really liked how solid the SPA felt, bolted up fine with no issues.

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    I had purchased an ebay manifold thinking "oh I can make it work" and while I could have probably it wasn't worth it. The SPA out of the box was almost perfect... need to port the Wastegate to match my 39mm and might touch up the ports just because.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    I had purchased an ebay manifold thinking "oh I can make it work" and while I could have probably it wasn't worth it. The SPA out of the box was almost perfect... need to port the Wastegate to match my 39mm and might touch up the ports just because.
    I was contemplating trying one of those Manifolds. But I really want the car to be turn key when I'm all done, tune and all. Hopefully I can skip a lot of the headache by using quality stuff

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Copper Spacer. Seems to be good quality, made to order. Oh, and the bushings beside it, scored those free. Came with my engine mount, I don't know why because I didn't order them - that's a first

host gifs
    Last edited by 328iFun; 03-28-2017 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    e36 Coupe
    Do you plan make orings in block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruuzx View Post
    How about orings for block?
    Still waiting for cr hg, studs, and rings

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...OLIaAh8N8P8HAQ

Anyone know anything about these brakes?
    Last edited by 328iFun; 03-29-2017 at 01:42 PM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    330i brakes seem like a better budget option to me

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I would not bother with the fancy rotors. I agree with just doing the 330i brakes -- you get pretty much the equivalent of M3 front brakes without having to change the front spindles. If you want to spend more, do a fixed piston caliper kit, whether Wilwood or one you put together yourself with Porsche Brembo and adapters.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...OLIaAh8N8P8HAQ

Anyone know anything about these brakes?
    I have a full 330i setup with less then 1k on them. EBC red pads, calipers, drilled and slotted rotors and red stainless steel lines. You need this.
    Sitting waiting for you.

Let me know, make a reasonable offer. They make you have = m3 brakes.

Last edited by Butters Stoch; 03-29-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    I have a full 330i setup with less then 1k on them. EBC red pads, calipers, drilled and slotted rotors and red stainless steel lines. You need this.
    Sitting waiting for you.

Let me know, make a reasonable offer. They make you have = m3 brakes.

Yeah, Im going to need those. Not sure what they go for though?

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

Yeah, Im going to need those. Not sure what they go for though?
    Dollar 3 eighty.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    M3
    I use those ecs rotors but the 345 mm with Porsche 996 calipers. I've not had any problems with them, and I guarantee I use my brakes harder. They stop great I just hope they don't crack on the drilled holes. So far so good though. If you don't need 2 piece rotors don't buy them, think trackday environment for them to be useful. Even then some people will still swear by blanks.
    Last edited by Mklock; 03-30-2017 at 01:27 AM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    I use those ecs rotors but the 345 mm with Porsche 996 calipers. I've not had any problems with them, and I guarantee I use my brakes harder. They stop great I just hope they don't crack on the drilled holes. So far so good though. If you don't need 2 piece rotors don't buy them, think trackday environment for them to be useful. Even then some people will still swear by blanks.
    Gotcha Thanks.

I think Butters is gonna hook me up with the 330 brakes. Should do just fine for my power goals.

Now onto suspension... Right now I have JOM coilovers installed (no ones ever heard of them I don't think.) I've had them for about 8 years now and I'm pretty sure there worn out and they were always extremely stiff to begin with. Also looking for camber control, etc. While I'm under the car what needs to be replaced in the rear end, Rtabs? Subframe mounts? What can be improved? Links are awesome,

thanks again

My Cars
    E36 M3 turbo, E90 M3 ZCP
    Gotcha Thanks.

I think Butters is gonna hook me up with the 330 brakes. Should do just fine for my power goals.

Now onto suspension... Right now I have JOM coilovers installed (no ones ever heard of them I don't think.) I've had them for about 8 years now and I'm pretty sure there worn out and they were always extremely stiff to begin with. Also looking for camber control, etc. While I'm under the car what needs to be replaced in the rear end, Rtabs? Subframe mounts? What can be improved? Links are awesome,

thanks again
    I think as far as coilovers go on the FI section, a lot of guys run the Broadway suspension.

There is a thread regarding it, but Jaze told me direct to buy this setup for a car under 650whp. "My special recipe for boosted e36's under 650 to 700whp is 10k 6" springs up front and 14k 5.5" springs in the rear, with NON super low shock dimensions."

I actually just ordered this exact setup 2 weeks ago!
    1995 M3 coupe GTX3582R powered
    2011 M3 sedan ZCP

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Just an update for everyone, for those of you who are reading this thread.

Still waiting on several parts to arrive. Ordered my gasket kit from Maximum Psi and it seems that it is taking forever, gave them a call yesterday and said they finally got the HG and studs shipped.

Transmissions still out waiting on an RMS, admittedly I pushed the first one slightly in too far and I don't want to risk it leaking so I'm redoing it. Pilot bearing was a complete pain for whatever reason.

But anyway, kind of at an idle at this point, which I don't like. I've been watching turbo E36 videos to keep myself focused. It seems that if you lose urgency on these cars it takes longer for them to get done or interest decreases.

Hopefully my next pic will be of head studs installed

Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast