Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Should I Buy 1989 750il-160k-Looks Real Nice..

My Cars
    are slow
    Your manual locks probably still work, passenger side runs counter-clockwise because stupidity. I don't fully understand the central locking system either.

Resync afterwards
    After manually locking or unlocking the system, the door locks may become unsynchronized. To synchronize the locks, close all doors, trunk lid and tailgate. Lock the passenger door by turning the key clockwise into the emergency locking position (approximately 110 degrees from position O). Unlock the driver's door. If any of the locks do not operate, repeat the locking procedure until the locking system is synchronized. This might happen if a door which is not completely closed is locked, or a door handle is lifted before the interior lock button is raised.

-bmwe34.net
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-14-2017 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
    I think I saw a picture of a broken bracket that someone drilled and repaired, but which bracket is it specifically? Is it on the door handle mechanism? Mine latch looked kosher, just that my lock rod didn't go down either manually, or with the key, except that it used to until I sprayed into the lock with silicone. All I can think of is that the spray silicone caused a little bit of hardened grease to dislodge. But I still can't believe a slight disturbance could cause the lock not to operate.
    here we goo

Our broken tab, with the broken tab frm the junkyard donor... most of the yard E32 had the same busted part at the same spot

JB weld or Marine epoxy is my fix

Good luck

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    I'll look today, but I don't think it was broken. I peered in trying to figure out why the door lock rod wouldn't go up or down

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    I missed a couple of your answers, my bad. Trans filter? RA, I'll have to take a look, prolly the mid-range, and trying to keep shipping from the fewest places... Ok, I checked my RA cart... Hastings trans filter.
    Now I would like to buy wiper blade refills, the proper stainless-rubber ones all ship from a different whse, costs double or triple the part cost... PIA...

Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Just use FCP then, they ship from CT, free over $49 I might sound like a broken record with the trans, but it's very important you clean the valve body solenoids or it'll be mostly wasted time. Which brand filter did you order?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...0i-11121725003
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...0i-11121725002
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...em-31121136607
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-51241908431-1
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...740il-7959-1-1
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...0i-11531729720

But yea, it's little things like the locks, sword and mustard relay that'll get on your nerves.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 05-15-2017 at 07:07 AM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    Ok, I filled my FCP cart with the above recommendations, why is the t-stat $30? I'll check RA. Ok, here's their offerings, none ship from "my" whse... So add $4-5... What temp is better, 174f or 185? Hotter is more efficient, harder on cooling system... And I checked all RA tstat offerings, all from different whse's. A real waste of time to click and review... Now I'll look at rear-upper thrust bushings. I don't have the steering wheel shake-shimmy in town, only above 50-55mph...

The belt idlers are $48 from Rock Auto, but double the usual shipping @ $13. FCP is $60, so they end up being the same price, I wonder if Four Seasons from RA is made in China junk? Where is INA made?
    Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 05-15-2017 at 08:28 AM.

My Cars
    are slow
    INA makes very good stuff, occasional outsources to China, but very good QC. It claims it's an OE BMW part, so that would usually mean Germany. Baldwin\Hastings make good filters.

Just go Wahler from FCP.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-15-2017 at 09:43 AM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    INA says global, but sourcing changes at the drop of a hat. Low bidder wins... I'll be heading over to my shop to put the door latch back together.
    If my bracket isn't broken, why didn't my lock rod go down? I tryed EVERYTHING! Manualy pushing it down, key in lock, everything! It seems to work well in my hand, like I mentioned, not greasy grimy or nasty at all, just a bit of dryed grease that short of removing the rivets-plastic cover, I sprayed the heck out of it w brake clean, worked it worked it worked it...

My Cars
    are slow
    INA says global, but sourcing changes at the drop of a hat. Low bidder wins... I'll be heading over to my shop to put the door latch back together.
    If my bracket isn't broken, why didn't my lock rod go down? I tryed EVERYTHING! Manualy pushing it down, key in lock, everything! It seems to work well in my hand, like I mentioned, not greasy grimy or nasty at all, just a bit of dryed grease that short of removing the rivets-plastic cover, I sprayed the heck out of it w brake clean, worked it worked it worked it...
    I don't think anything in the actual mechanism was the cause, I think the actuator might've become dislodged because of a bad bracket. I don't fully understand the system either.

Not all China parts are made equal and if you go to the dealer, they'll send you that part. Go INA.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Is the passenger side lock working?

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    Nope, I'm in surgery now lol... Putting the driver side back together

My Cars
    are slow
    Nope, I'm in surgery now lol... Putting the driver side back together
    Bracket cracked?

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    Nope...

https://youtu.be/3i_9hTQfmhg

My Cars
    are slow
    After all that time, it was crap in the lock cylinder... wow

But yea, if you're getting constant steaming, run a test when you pull the manifold. 145-160 is the lowest acceptable.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-15-2017 at 05:18 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    So the driver's side lock seems to be working well, I sprayed the heck out of it with brake cleaner, and then I sprayed the heck out of it with silicone spray. Then I fluid-filled lubricated the window mechanism, and I sent Shogun a message to order some door handle gaskets, it's quite the task to get that door handle trim piece off., I guess I won't be using the car until I get them from Japan. Next I'lll jack up the car and dump the tranny oil and look at those solenoids
    Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 05-15-2017 at 07:31 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    So the driver's side lock seems to be working well, I fluid-filled lubricated the window mechanism, and I sent Shogun a message to order some door handle gaskets, I guess I won't be using the car until I get them from Japan. Next I'lll jack up the car and dump the tranny oil and look at those solenoids
    You'll be fine unless you get caught in a storm, mechanism was fairly clean. But yea, perfect time to catch up on maint.

You might not need a stat judging from how inaccurate the guages can be. Post a pic of the gauge when warm.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-15-2017 at 07:33 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Also take notes for any leaks you might find on the front or rear shaft.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-15-2017 at 07:48 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    I have the dropped tranny pan, the oils real red, and almost no debris in the pan at all. So should I really be dropping the valve body and cleaning the shift solenoids? Or am I opening up a can of worms??? Is there a Ytube video how-to?

- - - Updated - - -

I dropped the pan, the oil is real red, and I wonder if I should be messing with a perfectly shifting transmission to clean those shift solenoids and drop the valve body? Is there a YouTube video how to?

My Cars
    are slow
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hifting-solved
    http://twrite.org/shogunnew/files/ja...Valvebody.html

Just undo the big(er) T27 bolts on the valve body and it should drop out.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-16-2017 at 05:18 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    I'm going to put the pan back on, I can't lift it hi enuff, and I have other things to do today, like cutting 3 acres of grass... rebuilding kitchen cabinets for a tenant...

My Cars
    are slow
    I'm going to put the pan back on, I can't lift it hi enuff, and I have other things to do today, like cutting 3 acres of grass... rebuilding kitchen cabinets for a tenant...
    You have space to drop the valve body. The solenoid you're cleaning is attached right onto it. But yea, your oil leak looks like it's from the upper oil pan gasket or the surrounding return lines. You'd need a hoist, so I'd try and find another fix (hondabond\jbweld etc) in the meanwhile. One side of the gasket seems to be working decent, so you can def slow the leak down.

Good luck with the other jobs, haha.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-16-2017 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    I had to go run a couple of errands, so I'm back and I dropped the oil pan which was only held on with one bolt. Which valve body do I have to remove, the front or the back?

My Cars
    are slow
    I had to go run a couple of errands, so I'm back and I dropped the oil pan which was only held on with one bolt. Which valve body do I have to remove, the front or the back?
    Remove the filter and then the whole valve body is exposed (looks sorta two piece, but it's not). But yea, it's a bummer the valve covers aren't the culprit since you'll be doing the intakes.

http://twrite.org/shogunnew/files/ja...Valvebody.html
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    Finally, a detailed write-up and what I have to do, but I'm putting the pan back on, I want to cut the grass. And I'm going to look at a super duper property tomorrow to move on with my freshly divorced life. A giant concrete block building to convert to 9 apartments, a whole bunch of ramshackle buildings in the back for my shop, at the very back of the property has an empty building lot, maybe to build a house for us...

My Cars
    are slow
    Finally, a detailed write-up and what I have to do, but I'm putting the pan back on, I want to cut the grass. And I'm going to look at a super duper property tomorrow to move on with my freshly divorced life. A giant concrete block building to convert to 9 apartments, a whole bunch of ramshackle buildings in the back for my shop, at the very back of the property has an empty building lot, maybe to build a house for us...
    All you need to do is find the solenoid screen, flip it over.
    A806E794-CB03-4457-8C15-6D92729AD84B_zpsdwdrmccb.jpg

But otherwise, having lost 3 quarts of oil in under 2 weeks, I'd think of a temporary solution for the pan. I've never had to deal with that, but I'd grab the JB weld instead of dealing with hoisting an engine if it'd ever happen to me.

With the belts/idler/alt off it'll be easier to apply everywhere.
    Last edited by XAlt; 05-16-2017 at 06:24 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi Wgn+Suburbans
    Too late, the oil pan is back on, my biggest problem was putting a little heat shield in place for the electrical wires, I had bent the shift bracket a bit, and then the plate wouldn't fit into place, but I figured it out. I need to do this on a hoist. I've put several shift kits in transmission and the car needs to be higher up in the air, not something I feel like dealing with right now.
    Last edited by CORVAIRWILD; 05-16-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast