Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wood Steering wheel

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I got some stuff in the mail today. I started taking off the old leather.

You can see the wire mesh for the heated wheel. I tried to be very careful not to damage it.

I cut the leather on a seam to make it easier to remove. I am not planning on reusing it, but trying not to damage it either.
    Here is a shot of the leather off the wheel.

Here are a few of the wheel with the leather off. You can see the heating wire mesh.

Next I wrapped the wheel with some black electrical tape to help hold the wire in place, and keep it from getting damaged.

Next I tried a test fit of an 1/8th inch adhesive backed foam. I wrapped it around the wheel tightly then lightly wrapped the foam with a little more electrical tape to help hold it on.

Not worried about the bumps in the foam right now. It is firm but still soft enough to not really feel them. The foam adds another 1/4 diameter to the wheel. It does feel better. That's all for tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Lead by example, follow by choice."

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by E38bimmer View Post
    link
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...w=e39&_sacat=0

I guess this guy and the Taiwan guy are the same?
    Last edited by xboss; 03-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    This is the one I want. But when looking at the airbags available on ebay - they look like stage 1's - there is a way iirc that I once read to be able to spoof for a two stage system - can't find the article so maybe just my imagination. All that I have read said can't be done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182464815318...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I like that one too. I have talked with that seller a lot. Just ask him to make you one for the dual stage airbag. He will do it, or at least he told me he would for one I liked that was only listed as single stage air bag.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Quote Originally Posted by lewvirg View Post
    This is the one I want. But when looking at the airbags available on ebay - they look like stage 1's - there is a way iirc that I once read to be able to spoof for a two stage system - can't find the article so maybe just my imagination. All that I have read said can't be done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182464815318...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Nice! Yeah, fanatical art.
    ---- Processing Individual ----
    Z1XX Upholstery
    Seats front and back in Epingle / leather englishgruen,
    As Schl.Nr. B9EG.
    Front seat backrest in Montana Englishgruen (No. 8 174 861)
    Other interior equipment as for Volleder Nappa englischgruen,
    Schl.Nr. P5EG

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Quick update. I added another layer of foam to the bottoms then tightly wrapped it in self fusing silicone tape to compress the foam. I think two layers compressed feels right. It is bigger, and softer, but not a lot softer since it is wrapped tightly.

I also mocked up an area where my hands will be when they are in the 3:00 and 9:00 position on the wheel. I put some blue tape down so I know not to cross this line right now. I plan on molding it for my hands. I also put some hose clamps in about the location I think I am going to put my thumb rest, thumb bolsters, (What ever you call them). I have some apoxie sculpt that I was thinking about putting there. I may leave the hose clams for strength and cover them over with apoxie sculpt. I haven't decided yet. They are a little bigger than I want to try to cover up, so if I use clamps under the apoxie, I will probably use smaller clamps...

My Cars
    00 750iL 01 S8 96 Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by MKIVJZA80 View Post
    heated wheel with Chinese cover with wood, most people can't tell it has a cover. i'd never put a cover on any car, but this looks pretty good!

Attachment 595760

- - - Updated - - -

feel heat through it nicely and it gives the wheel a little more width
    MKIVJZA80 - where did you get your Chinese cover from? How does it install (permanent?). Based on your photo, I can't see any seams or edges.

edit: I just did some diggin on eBay - I guess this is it. For $50, looks worth it to me. I have a stock heated wheel in my '00 750iL, and all I want is some wood accent (real or fake) w/o losing the heat feature. This cheapo Chinese one looks good enough for me. I'll try it out....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Leathe...9Wlhad&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by serious7series; 03-24-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    WTB the following Highline/Individual parts for my 2001 750iL in Black (updated Apr 2016):
    -front sport seat-back cushion
    -rear U.S. entertainment armrest with radio/MID/seat/phone/shade/etc controls
    -rear digital climate control with rear blower and black leather housing/console
    -glovebox and rear right 2001 LHD 750iL wood trim with flag inlay; maybe the dash pieces too
    ~
    Ryan

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    [QUOTE=thrawn5499;29645635]I like that one too. I have talked with that seller a lot. Just ask him to make you one for the dual stage airbag. He will do it, or at least he told me he would for one I liked that was only listed as single stage air bag.

not trying to hijack the tread - but we are talking about wood wheels - and that would be nice. The problem is for that wheel - the triangle air bag, seems to be only available as a single stage. Otherwise, might talk to him about an e46 dual stage style with the same style.

I'm definitely following to see how you move through your process. Seems like all of the wheel refurbishers for bmw's and mercedes are located in eastern europe.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    [QUOTE=lewvirg;29646381]
    Quote Originally Posted by thrawn5499 View Post
    I like that one too. I have talked with that seller a lot. Just ask him to make you one for the dual stage airbag. He will do it, or at least he told me he would for one I liked that was only listed as single stage air bag.

not trying to hijack the tread - but we are talking about wood wheels - and that would be nice. The problem is for that wheel - the triangle air bag, seems to be only available as a single stage. Otherwise, might talk to him about an e46 dual stage style with the same style.

I'm definitely following to see how you move through your process. Seems like all of the wheel refurbishers for bmw's and mercedes are located in eastern europe.
    No worries, glad you posted. It is open to anyone. Right now, I am probably not going to do wood on this wheel. I was thinking about using the apoxie clay on the upper part of the wheel, and then having it hydro dipped to look like wood. The I could follow that up with some layers of clear coat. Also thought about using real wood on it. I think it is going to be a lot of work for my first one. I might try another one if this turns out good and do wood on that one.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    [QUOTE=thrawn5499;29646428][QUOTE=lewvirg;29646381]

No worries, glad you posted. It is open to anyone. Right now, I am probably not going to do wood on this wheel. I was thinking about using the apoxie clay on the upper part of the wheel, and then having it hydro dipped to look like wood. The I could follow that up with some layers of clear coat. Also thought about using real wood on it. I think it is going to be a lot of work for my first one. I might try another one if this turns out good and do wood on that one.

Hadn't thought about hydro dipping - that might be an excellent way to go as long as the substrate is rock solid. Maybe come up with a fiberglass mold for the apoxie sculpt [which of course would be some work, but would give a consistent diameter and dimensions for thumb rests and the rest of the wheel]. I have been trying to find a wood pattern that even comes close to the vavona in my car to have the radio bezel hydro dipped.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I did also think of making a mold slightly bigger than the wheel, and then filling it with a liquid resin. I thought the apoxie sculpt would be easy enough to get smooth and you could add the bumps on the back for your fingers really easy too. Right now I am still not sure if I am going to do all leather on this one or not. At time I decide to go ahead and forget the wood this time. Then I change my mind again.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    I also have a set of these.

They look good, but not so much when they are on the wheel. If they did not stick up higher than the rest of the wheel they would look like real wood. When you put them on top of the wheel they look like what they are cheap fake wood. Plus the back is open. I thought I could put them on my wheel and cover the ends with leather. I could also fill the back with that apoxie sculpt. I don't know though.

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Here are a few pics of the fake wood on the wheel.

Then this is it with the foam up to the edge.

And then the back.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    that would look good if you wrapped the rest of the wheel with leather as far as the back I wold try to do both side with the fake wood
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    98 750iL, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by serious7series View Post
    MKIVJZA80 - where did you get your Chinese cover from? How does it install (permanent?). Based on your photo, I can't see any seams or edges.

edit: I just did some diggin on eBay - I guess this is it. For $50, looks worth it to me. I have a stock heated wheel in my '00 750iL, and all I want is some wood accent (real or fake) w/o losing the heat feature. This cheapo Chinese one looks good enough for me. I'll try it out....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Leathe...9Wlhad&vxp=mtr
    yes brother! sorry, got many PMs and responded to them about it but never saw your reply! will look good on your car =)

- - - Updated - - -

took it off a few times to get it to fit right. looks great

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Not sure if you have an original photo but here is mine, wood with leather, center is plastic/vinyl, OEM. Not heated, at least I don't have a button for it. Aquilla (Michael) sold it to me about 5 yrs ago.

I'm amazed you're building one from scratch.

Last edited by kouks; 03-29-2017 at 12:52 AM.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    1996 & 2001 BMW 740il
    Not much progress. I have been busy with work. I molded one of the thumb rests today. Not sure yet if I like it. I need to wait and see what it looks like when I get the other side done.

I would say there is a 50% chance I will tear this back down to stock and start again. There are a few things I am not 100% happy with. Not having wood is one of them. Also with as much padding and silicone as I put on this thing, there is no chance of the heat working on it anymore. It does feel really good in my hands, but it looks too thick now to me. I think one layer of foam would have looked better than two layers. I have really big hands though, so I wanted it pretty thick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123