Thread: BMW burned my house

My Cars
    BMW R1200ST

BMW burned my house

Hi everyone.

First of all I would like to let you know that English is my other language so I will probably make some grammar or punctuation mistakes.

I would like add few words about the topic of quality of current German automotive industry. As you aware for many years, it was portrayed as a one of the most safe and reliable cars/motorcycles in the world. As it turns out, not only Mercedes has issues with quality and safety. It happened to me and as well as several thousand people around the globe which BMW motorcycles catching fire/combust unexpectedly. Here is the link to the other interesting information on this (including pictures of my fire as well)
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kk?usp=sharing

So...
    Before beginning of 2015's motorcycle season. I started looking for some information about my motorbike BMW R1200ST which I really love it. I bought this motorbike new from local BMW garage. It was serviced regularly according to service manual. I was quite surprised when I found some information about the serious technical defects, that could cause injury or even a death of users.

These are some defects:
    1. Faulty front ABS sensor resulting in self-locking front wheel while riding (No:1 Danger!)
    2. Faulty/dodgy fixing of rear wheel (defective element of collar mounting wheel, resulting in losing/ be ringing of the hook whilst driving (Another nightmare!!!)
    3. The malfunction of fuel pump sealing? Resulting in a loss of fuel and self ignition while is moving or even stationary.

Each of these defects has been widely documented on the Internet, because there were some fatal accidents. In the USA and Canada government based Road Safety institution dealt with these problems, which forced BMW to service/repair and pay compensations to the owners/victims of these motorcycles. It is worthy to say that BMW was forced to do futher steps as they didn't feel guiltily about following problems.

Here is the link to the NHTSA investigation of these cases:
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=13V617000

In the end, they failed to sweep the problem under the carpet. In order to sort this problems out, BMW Europe recalled the owners of motorbikes to apparently fix those problems. Poland was also included in this recall. At the beginning of June 2015. I sent an letter to my local BMW dealer ( BMW Auto Fus Ostrobramska Street, Warsaw) enquiring about recall/fires etc. Their response was positive inviting me to leave my motorbike in order to repair defects. In the last week of June 2015 the repair was carried out/ done so I was not bother/worried anymore.

Two weeks later on 13th of July 2015, after the ride I put motorbike in the garage. I left my house to go to Warsaw Old Town. After an hour I received an call from my neighbors telling me that my house in on fire.

There was a spontaneous combustion of my BMW R1200ST motorcycle. As a result of fire my garage and car burnt (sporty Mercedes). The house is adjacent to the garage so it started catching fire luckily stopping at gutters. I would like to say big thank you to all of my neighbors that they responded so quickly. Luckily the Fire Station is located only 2kms (1.2miles) from my property. The total loss is approximately 600.000zl (150k US dollars of 120k GBP)

Due to the extent of the damage on second day the prosecutor's office/court sent investigation team with firefighting experts to conduct the investigation. PROSECUTORS/INVESTIGATION TEAM CLEARLY STATED THAT CAUSE OF THE FIRE WAS BMW MOTOCYCLE.

I peacefully offered BMW reconciliation by paying me the settlement and compensation for the losses which I lost during fire.

BMW decided to sent two technicians from Germany to do own investigation. After 3 hours of inspection of wreckage they issued the statement which states that they do not feel guilty.

In my opinion the inspection was carried out in poor standards. BMW technician had no equipment with themselves (I video recorded inspection) I think they only came to see if I have any evidences on them and I will be able to use against them in court.

Due to the alleged fault of BMW motorbike, my insurer does not want to pay any compensation. So I stuck in middle of nowhere.
    I can only do court proceedings.

Wish me luck.
    Thanks for reading.
    Kind regards.
    PS: If you have any suggestions or help regarding this issue could you please send me an email bambusowydomek@gmail.com Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    wat?

98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL