eBMWParts

Thread: Which strut do I have here ?

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

Which strut do I have here ?

My 2000 z3 2.3 (non-M) looks like the front struts are de-pressured. Toast- as it were. I see that there are 2 styles of front suspension possible.
    Apparently normal (do they call this "touring?) and the other referred to as "sport" type. Apparently sport type is about 1.5 inches lowered-
    and I think I have read there is some difference in where one of the linkages connect at the bottom of the hub. (but I really didn't understand
    what linkage was being referred to--- didn't see any on car there.....)

Since I have to replace them- I have to figure out which I have- since I plan keeping the coil springs that are on it now. The current struts-
    which appear to be possibly its first- show the numbers 11-1500-115-640 and 31 311094 190 and BMW Sachs- Boge

I can not find the sachs #115-640 as a currently produced item. Looks like that part number has been superseded by a newer different one.
    So by looking up that number I have been unable to determine if they are sport type or non-sport type struts.........

Can some one clear this up for me ? So far it seems about as clear as mud- ( I have run the last 7 of the vin through on-line decoders but there seems no suspension codes that I can see-- )

Signed- Dazed and confused---
    Tim

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Tim,

while I am not super familiar with Z platform, based on my e36 knowledge I think you are talking about M strut housings vs non M: M strut housings have a mount for much longer sway bar link, while non M have shorter links where sway bar links mounts to the control arm instead. That's your m/non m difference. As far as the spindle to strut mount, they all have the same 3 mounting points. Next: go to BavAuto.com or FCPEuro.com, punch in your car's info and it will spit out your options. Remember, struts do not lower the car, springs do. You do in fact need a strut with a shorter stroke to accommodate for lowering springs though, so that's your Sport/regular suspension difference.

If I were you, I would take a look at your springs and figure out what is it that you need, but here are part #s that BavAuto lists:

Sachs 115 689 & 115 690. Sachs 115 691 & 115 692 for sport suspension. OE replacement by Bilstein (B4) are 22-158819 & 22-158826.

Would be a good idea to replace upper mounts too while you are there. Oh, you will need springs compressors too if you are doing the job yourself: you can rent these at AutoZone or like.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Mless5; 03-22-2017 at 10:31 PM.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    Thank you Mless---

I did my vinn and called dealer as a double check. I do not have sport suspension- I have regular. I believe that both strut and spring are stock type--
    maybe the ones that came on it new. I was concerned that maybe the springs had lost some power and might be weak or too short. (they are 5 coil-
    so they
    have not been cut off by a previous owner.)
    Just got a compressor today. Ready to take apart tomorrow. Do you have any idea what the springs's length is supposed to be when it's NOT ON the strut ?
    Im guessing that might be the same on all e-36 ? (non lowered and non-m )

Tim
    (everybodys out of KYB struts for another week--- for some reason--)

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Sorry Tim, I never owned a z3, but in e36 world, seems like every other e36 has broken rear springs making them shorter. Front springs may have sagged with age, but unless you want to go all out, generally there is no need to replace springs unless they are broken or wish to modify how the car sits.
    Last edited by Mless5; 04-24-2017 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    Thanks- they still have 5 turns on them- so they havnt been cut and have the BMW #'s still on them. So Ill try them and see what happens--