Thread: Pulled my '94 325iC out of the barn today...

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93

Pulled my '94 325iC out of the barn today...

... for the first time in months.

It's parked with the top down. Does that present a problem? The car is in California, just outside of San Diego, so the climate is not a huge issue. And, it lives in the garage. But, it's been a year or more since the last time the roof was raised. It's gonna be warm tomorrow, maybe I will raise the roof and leave the car out so that the sun can melt the top and the wrinkles will be pulled out. I'm thinking that if there is a problem, it will be associated with the window. I put a rolled up towel in the crease, hoping that this will prevent the crease from forming, or turning into a problem.

In an unrelated note,

The radio plays for a couple of minutes and then fades out. I drove around today for an hour and the radio played the entire time, but on the trip home the radio faded out in about 5 minutes. It fades to black, it does not simply shut off. It'sx not a fuse because the next trip will let the radio play again if it cools off for a while. It's clearly a heat-related issue, but I can't get my arms around whether it's the head unit or the amp. Should I be shopping for a head unit or an amp?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    What's the condition of the battery... after that many months?

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I needed to put the charger on for a while, but once it started, it started for the rest of the day. We bought an X5, so the 325iC does not get out much anymore. The grandbaby and the seat she is required to sit in don't fit the 'vert very well, that's why we got the X. The 'vert was an only child for a few years, now it shares the garage with an SUV. Most of the time we go out together, we have the baby so we drive the X. I have an F150 work truck that I drive most of the time. This battery is going to be expensive on a "per start" basis.

My Cars
    E36 M3 vert/E32 750/Alfa
    Not sure it was ever quite a full year but our '99 M3 'vert has gone up to nine months or so with top down, on more than one "occasion" (if 9 months is an occasion lol). Luckily we have short winters and it's usually easy to tell when rain is coming so we almost never drive with the top up...if it's gonna be closed-top weather we take the other car.

Every time, I put it up after that amount of time with fingers and toes crossed and feeling dumb, like, "Why did I wait so long and risk this??" The canvas creaked and the frame was a little arthritic but -- everything went OK and no issues later, any time this happened. Like your post mentions we'd taken steps to protect the clear window. Also checked under the tonneau regularly to make sure it was dry.

Best wishes! I'm betting all will be well

On other fronts our '93 325i/4/5 is having similar radio issues. Are there any fixes for the amplifier or any replacement sources that you can recommend? Thanks!
    Last edited by tazM3; 03-14-2017 at 01:13 PM.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by tazM3 View Post
    Not sure it was ever quite a full year but our '99 M3 'vert has gone up to nine months or so with top down, on more than one "occasion" (if 9 months is an occasion lol). Luckily we have short winters and it's usually easy to tell when rain is coming so we almost never drive with the top up...if it's gonna be closed-top weather we take the other car.

Every time, I put it up after that amount of time with fingers and toes crossed and feeling dumb, like, "Why did I wait so long and risk this??" The canvas creaked and the frame was a little arthritic but -- everything went OK and no issues later, any time this happened. Like your post mentions we'd taken steps to protect the clear window. Also checked under the tonneau regularly to make sure it was dry.

Best wishes! I'm betting all will be well

On other fronts our '93 325i/4/5 is having similar radio issues. Are there any fixes for the amplifier or any replacement sources that you can recommend? Thanks!

That was my question too. If crossing both fingers and toes is all that it takes, I should be okay.