Thread: Alpina B7 E65 secondary throttle body actuator gear permanent solution

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7

Thumbs up Alpina B7 E65 secondary throttle body actuator gear permanent solution

Like many of you Alpina B7 owners are aware, Supercharger throttle body or secondary throttle body has plastic actuator gear that goes bad every 30.000 to 50.000 miles. Until now, only option is to replace the entire secondary throttle body to the cost of $1049.00 US dollars, 910 Euros or $1350 Canadian plus shipping. Used part can not be found and if one ever surfaced it would have a plastic gear inside, that would go bad rather sooner than later.
    BMW M5-S85-V10 engine has the identical issue with it's throttle body actuator gears and aftermarket replacement gears can be purchased from various suppliers, basically all coming from the same supplier.
    Sadly same can not be said for any Alpina B7 e65.... until today.

My Alpina developed the dreaded actuator gear failure and I was faced with no choice in the matter. I got an "awesome" deal from my local BMW dealer for brand new secondary throttle body (that goes bad after few years), shipped directly from Buchloe, Germany for as little as $1350.00 Canadian, plus tax. By the way, this same throttle body was replaced under warranty less than 30.000 miles ago.
    After weeks of research I have decided to look for a machine shop that can actually re-manufacture the offending gear, not in plastic, but out of Aluminium. I did find one shop promising that they can machine a gear if I brought them the old one. Fast forward two weeks, I brought the gear to them.
    After 10 days of painful waiting game, I got a call from the shop owner that the gear is finally done and I can pick it up.
    Fast forward to my house, after dinner, I have installed the gear, went for a joyful ride on the province of Ontario highways.
    Finally, after months of hesitation over 2000 rpm, jerking when letting go of gas above 50 mph, weird sloshing sound from the supercharger intake......, I am finally able to enjoy my car again, issue free, check engine light off and just with all 500 and change horses at my instant request.

I don't have to describe my joy and happiness, especially because I paid nowhere close to the above price to get my car perfect again.

The best part is, now when the part is manufactured and is working as good as OEM or better (longer, forever), this machine shop can and will manufacture more, if there is a demand for it.
    Here is how it works.
    Each single gear is $250 USD, if ordered individually.
    If there is 20 or more orders in, than individual gear cost would come down to $150 USD.
    If there is a 30 or more orders than each gear would cost $100 USD
    Shipping would be extra of course.

I want to put this out for Alpina community to see and possibly take advantage of. To mention, gear is made out of Aluminum and its a one piece unit, not two gears pressed or fastened together.
    Pictures of the new and old gear are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milan99740il; 03-10-2017 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    850i, Alpina B7, E61
    I have a 2007 and have not had this problem yet, but would be interested to purchase a set and have it on stand by

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    PM sent

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    Just bought my first B7 but would right now be in the market. I also have an 850 that we have had to source/manufacture replacement to OEM stuff

My Cars
    850ci, M5, Alpina B7
    I sent PM have not heard anything. Need gear ASAP. Thanks

My Cars
    Alpina B7
    I have not had this issue yet but i am iterested in getting the gear.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Hello
    I have sent a PM few weeks ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosakirk12 View Post
    I sent PM have not heard anything. Need gear ASAP. Thanks

My Cars
    BMW
    I desperately need this service. My alpina has the same broken gear issue. Is it easy to change out?

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    My Alpina is good but would be interested for future

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7 / 2008 M6
    I think I found a replacement. I have been on the lookout for years for this dang gear. I found a manufacturer that makes vdo gears and the dimensions fit. Got to wait two weeks for shipping though, as there are no USA based suppliers. I will post back with results.

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyinc View Post
    I think I found a replacement. I have been on the lookout for years for this dang gear. I found a manufacturer that makes vdo gears and the dimensions fit. Got to wait two weeks for shipping though, as there are no USA based suppliers. I will post back with results.
    Let us know your findings and cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 740i Sport

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7 / 2008 M6
    I did find a replacement gear and they are cheap. It is a vw/audi gear that is needed and a common gear to acquire from retailers overseas (none in the US). I bought a few on ebay, for 10-40 USD. I wanted to have a backup and different materials. I have driven it a little over 1500 miles since the swap and after taking the throttle body housing apart to check on it, it is still in great condition. The one I am currently using is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113803012566

Yes, I know the part is not made for an Alpina B7. This is a direct replacement. I found that the throttlebody housing used is the exact same thing that was used in supercharger audis. The actual diameter of the inlet is different, but the gears inside are the same. Make sure you look at your gear and it has the same teeth numbers. I saw a few listed for the same audi range that had a different teeth count, but the one that I posted is the one I currently have installed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Good info... thanks for sharing.
    The pics of above listing look like a 3D printed gear set.
    I also found this brass one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Bo...UAAOSw7ypd-JJf

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7 / 2008 M6
    They are 3D printed. You can also find OEM ones, but the teeth break just as easy. I saw the brass ones that look neat, but none of the people that make the metal ones will allow shipping to usa. So, I couldnt try those ones out. Although, with the extra weight, I am not sure if that would affect performance or premature failure of the motor (the little white one). Granted the white motors are easy to replace and are generic.

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    I just purchased a 2007 B7 with 72k mi. I got all the service records and did not see a new throttle body in there so might need this soon. What are the telltale signs of these gears going bad?

My Cars
    2007 Alpina B7 / 2008 M6
    You will hear the problem. When mine went, when you would shut the car off it would cycle the throttle body. When that happened, it would sound like a gear skipping. It will also throw codes, as the pressure is not correct between the two throttle bodies. I dont remember the exact code off the top of my head, but it refers to a boost pressure controller. It can also throw the same codes as when the CCVs are bad. That is what kept happening to me on reset. Changed those quite a few times before this fixed it.

Last edited by chevyinc; 04-06-2020 at 09:50 AM.

My Cars
    '87 329iS, '08 Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyinc View Post
    I did find a replacement gear and they are cheap. It is a vw/audi gear that is needed and a common gear to acquire from retailers overseas (none in the US). I bought a few on ebay, for 10-40 USD. I wanted to have a backup and different materials. I have driven it a little over 1500 miles since the swap and after taking the throttle body housing apart to check on it, it is still in great condition. The one I am currently using is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/113803012566

Yes, I know the part is not made for an Alpina B7. This is a direct replacement. I found that the throttlebody housing used is the exact same thing that was used in supercharger audis. The actual diameter of the inlet is different, but the gears inside are the same. Make sure you look at your gear and it has the same teeth numbers. I saw a few listed for the same audi range that had a different teeth count, but the one that I posted is the one I currently have installed.

Bumping an old thread, I just ordered this set so if you're still out there thanks for posting this link. I have three fault codes all referencing the charge air controller, and over the weekend I heard grinding noise coming from it when it did its 'position reset' thing it does, so I'm in this boat. I'll report back once I have this done, it's a much better option (hopefully) than a new part from BMW (1500.00)
    Last edited by Kyle B; 06-13-2022 at 10:04 AM.