Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "If I had to do it again" 325i m50 turbo build

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumdogJay View Post
    So its just laying in place but I didn't want it to move around so I cut some small fuel hose in half and put it around the inner border of the bracket and seriously it doesn't move at all its actually a little hard to get out of the bracket if you tried to tug on it

New update on the idle issue I installed the tps started it up and let run but after about a minute or two I noticed while I had it revved up around 2k (bleeding the coolant system) rpms would drop and check engine light comes on it will still idle but now if I rev it up and keep it at 2k or any rpm for that matter it will start to drop on its own while I have the accelerator in the same position so that's weird I'll keep trying to figure this out but I'm happy it is at least idling on its own. Working on getting fluids and stuff back in the car car needs a thermostat so should have another update tomorrow

BTW I have a suspicion that my idle screw is not set properly does anyone know how to check this ? I know someone messed with this before and I have no idea how to set properly
    You shouldn't have to mess with the idle screw too much. But its on the rear of throttle body, may need a small screw driver.

You're certain you don't have any vacuum leaks? I didnt read through everything but did you check icv?

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    You shouldn't have to mess with the idle screw too much. But its on the rear of throttle body, may need a small screw driver.

You're certain you don't have any vacuum leaks? I didnt read through everything but did you check icv?

Absolutely certain there is no vacuum leaks but I did come across thread and also thread . Both basically come to the same conclusion for the TPS/1216 code and the idle issues which basically both say unplugging the icv seemed to resolve well not resolve but somewhat fix the issue. I went ahead and did that and it did the same as mentioned in those threads the check engine light did not come on and it did idle ok a little high but ok. I have come to the conclusion that it was not the idle screw (which I broke ) but the tune that is causing issue. Right now just to be clear I am using the miller war chip because I needed to retain the check engine light for help with diagnosis. A few things that helped me get my idle back

1. change oil (reeked of gasoline)

2. remove spark plugs and clean

3. While spark plugs are out put oil down the spark plugs tubes because cylinder wash in my case just followed this video

4. Changed TPS but I now know that the computer was the real issue but still

5. unplug ICV (note: ICV is not defective it’s known to be a working unit)

Working on some more things today just noticed my cam sensor is leaking bad and a few other things but I'll keep yall posted
    Last edited by SlumdogJay; 04-30-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Added a point

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Wow, sorry to read about all of your issues. Are you still on MS2? You mentioned not getting a CEL is why I asked. I am currently researching which engine management to go with on my 95 M3. Talk about a bunch of reading. To have enough knowledge to make an informed decision is daunting. I have built and tuned a MS2/Extra on a stack ITB V8. I eliminated the ICV (8 throttle bodies) and controlled idle with the throttle plate adjustment. MS can do that pretty easy. Mind you, its been 5 years since I have tuned, I probably forgotten more than I remember. But Tuner Studio and Autotune work very well. I was able to DIY tune it to run as good as any factory ecm. The forums at Megasquirt were very helpful. Good luck.

I wouldn't mind finding an (affordable) MS2 PNP. I guess I could rig up an adapter cable, but the standard Megasquirts have external relay boards to power things up. Labor intensive.
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash View Post
    Wow, sorry to read about all of your issues. Are you still on MS2? You mentioned not getting a CEL is why I asked. I am currently researching which engine management to go with on my 95 M3. Talk about a bunch of reading. To have enough knowledge to make an informed decision is daunting. I have built and tuned a MS2/Extra on a stack ITB V8. I eliminated the ICV (8 throttle bodies) and controlled idle with the throttle plate adjustment. MS can do that pretty easy. Mind you, its been 5 years since I have tuned, I probably forgotten more than I remember. But Tuner Studio and Autotune work very well. I was able to DIY tune it to run as good as any factory ecm. The forums at Megasquirt were very helpful. Good luck.

I wouldn't mind finding an (affordable) MS2 PNP. I guess I could rig up an adapter cable, but the standard Megasquirts have external relay boards to power things up. Labor intensive.
    At the moment I am on the miller war chip which I literally just got back from decent test drive and it ran great no issues got a little smoke coming from the turbine housing that I need to investigate but other than that its good. I want to convert to the MS2 I have which is the kdata. As of now if I were to plug up the kdata it will start the car but it will immediately die without throttle input so I'm combing over the settings to make sure everything looks correct. Any megasquirt peeps that care to chime in I would love to hear from you. I have contacted flimflamspeed to see if they can help me get going on megasquirt but if I can at least get the basics and have the car running on its own on the kdata I figure that would be best for the tuner but we will see how it goes.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    At the moment I am on the miller war chip which I literally just got back from decent test drive and it ran great no issues got a little smoke coming from the turbine housing that I need to investigate but other than that its good. I want to convert to the MS2 I have which is the kdata. As of now if I were to plug up the kdata it will start the car but it will immediately die without throttle input so I'm combing over the settings to make sure everything looks correct. Any megasquirt peeps that care to chime in I would love to hear from you. I have contacted flimflamspeed to see if they can help me get going on megasquirt but if I can at least get the basics and have the car running on its own on the kdata I figure that would be best for the tuner but we will see how it goes.
    If you get around to it, when the MS is hooked up, record a data log, even if it just dies. Upload it to the MS tuning forum and those experts over there will usually respond with exactly what is wrong. I didn't find it in your thread, do you have a laptop hooked up with Tuner Studio and Mega Log Viewer installed? You must have these if you are going to use/tune Megasquirt.

Anyway, here are the tuning forums for MS/Extra. https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=134
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    86 325e 24v swapped

miller w.a.r.

Yeah sure I would recommend. It’s been a simple plug n play option for me.
    You interested in selling the w.a.r.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jewn.beef View Post
    You interested in selling the w.a.r.

yeah man send me an email shenoyj93@gmail.com

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i

Mo money Mo problems

Another update and some more problems although I am closer to the finished product*
    Let me bring you guys up to speed real quick

So back in July I was satisfied with the how the engine was running on the miller war chip set up that I thought I'd go ahead and install the KDATA DME and drop it off with Kassel performance to set up and tune. Dropped the car with them and waited for that call to say "this thing is ready to rip". Well I called after a few weeks went by but did not get the news I was expecting. Apparently the KDATA was having some sort of issue which I wasn't entirely clear on but at this point I just wanted the car done so I had them order the MS3PRO pnp. Had that installed and then I call after a couple weeks to find out that they are still having problems this time with the injectors. Like I said I just wanted it done so told them go ahead and order them.

At this point I just wanted to leave them alone for a while so they can do their thing. After about a month I call again and Now they are telling me car is doing good at idle and part thottle but cant complete the WOT map because the car is overboosting like crazy "boosting to the moon" was the exact phrasing. I asked what the heck could be going on and I was told this is for sure an hardware issue and maybe the wastegate is the issue. Asked them to replace the wastegate with a new one and was told the same thing is happening. Was told has nothing to do with tuning or electrical. At this point Kassel recommended I pick up the car work through the hardware issues and once I have boost control to bring it back to complete the tune. I have the car now and am trying to figure this out

Here's what Im working with for context

M50TUB25 stock internals with CES Cutring and copper spacer
    ARP head studs
    top mount equal length t4 manifold
    precision 6266 .96 a/r
    38mm TiAL wastegate( 11lb spring Large red)
    50mm TiAL bov
    4" intercooler with 2.5 piping
    full 4" turboback exhaust w/ muffler

My request to Kassel was to tune on 15psi but what they told me is that the set up holds boost up until 5000-5500 rpm then it shoots up to 20-23 psi which is of course when he gets out of it. Ill admit I'm in over my head but I'm not going to give up after all the time and money I've spent.

Here's where I'm at now. I pulled the original TiAL wastegate to bench test it just to confirm with my own eyes it is working properly. I found that on the bench it wont crack open until 20psi and fully opens with 25psi. It opens and closes perfectly fine. I tore it apart further and everything looks good (diaphragm and whatnot) talking with TiAL right now to work through that although I'm not confident my bench method is perfectly accurate. Mike at Tial seems to think my problem may be a variance between exhaust pressure and intake pressure which Honestly I have no idea how to confirm or fix this if that was case. Couple thoughts I have Smaller downpipe/exhaust, smaller turbo, bigger wastegate or all three ??? I'm going on vacation tomorrow but will still be thinking about this Thanks for reading guys Any input is appreciated. I'll leave you guys with a dyno pull vid

My Cars
    '87 e30, '02 e39 Dinan
    Do you have a photo of the exhaust manifold and wastegate plumbing?

Short answer is your not allowing enough exhaust gas by the turbo to control boost.

Few thoughts,
    If your wg piping between the manifold and your gate is too restricting, you will have this creep issue.
    If your wg spring is incorrectly selected, it will try and force the 20-25psi you are seeing on the bench. 6-8psi spring instead of your 20psi one (make sure there isnt two stacked inside)
    If your wg lines are backwards, you could force the gate closed causing this rise.
    If the WG piping after the WG is too restrictive you will have this creep issue.
    Capital Driving Club Car # 102
    How to turbo your car:
    Step one. Install ecu and learn to tune and or have it tuned.
    Step two. Install injectors and retune.
    Step three. Install turbo parts and bits. get it running with out leaks. DO NOT DRIVE IT. Idling should be ok
    Step four. Retune car
    Step five enjoy

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    As euro mentioned, sounds like it's a WG issue. Might be worth running a boost solenoid to control boost too rather than relying on the WG

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by euro2fast4u View Post
    Do you have a photo of the exhaust manifold and wastegate plumbing?

Short answer is your not allowing enough exhaust gas by the turbo to control boost.

Few thoughts,
    If your wg piping between the manifold and your gate is too restricting, you will have this creep issue. Thinking this may be the cause gonna pull the downpipe and snap a photo for you guys to see what you think Tech support at TiAL wanted this also

If your wg spring is incorrectly selected, it will try and force the 20-25psi you are seeing on the bench. 6-8psi spring instead of your 20psi one (make sure there isnt two stacked inside) The current spring is the large red spring (13 psi from what TiAL support told me)

If your wg lines are backwards, you could force the gate closed causing this rise. Only one hose going from compressor housing to bottom port of wastegate had to remove boost controller to rule out a problem with controller Issue is still present

If the WG piping after the WG is too restrictive you will have this creep issue. piping is 1.5 diameter may go larger on this

Just got back from vacation and so I'm going to pull the downpipe once it stops raining here in VA and see what TiAL and you guys think on if the wastegate mounting point on manifold is sufficient or not. My gut is telling me to buy a 44mm TiAL wastegate and see what happens but that would mean I would have to modify the manifold to accept v-band unless I buy this adapter I've been seeing. What are some thoughts on an adapter to accept a v band flange onto a manifold that has a 2 bolt flange on it ???

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123