Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: e39 528i for my grandson

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Cool, can't wait for the reveal pics, be sure to post them up, when that day comes!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Very nice right up. Safe travels Grandson should be very surprised, and happy.

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    I'm up here in Dallas.
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Cool, TX S3. I'll be in Dallas most of the day Thursday. Well, in Richardson and Allen.
    1987 325is Zinneberot 5spd totally stock multiple show winner
    1992 325iC M-Technic factory appearance package, Diamantschwarz metallic, black nappa leather, black top, Dinan chip, K&N CAI, Remus exhaust
    1997 528i Schwartz II, 5spd stick daily driver
    1999 M Roadster, Dakar Yellow II, Dinan Stage 3, Dinan CAI, Dinan throttle body, Redline driveline, LiquiMoly 5w40 engine, BC Racing BR coilovers, Motion Motorsport under panel, S54 radiator and fan delete, BavSound speakers, Kenwood CD/iPod/aux/Bluetooth
    2001 Z3 3.0i coupe, Sapphire Black, auto (dang), suede headliner, LeatherZ sunroof screen
    2016 228i, Sapphire Black, 6 speed, M Sport Package
    1993 325iC, Schwarz II, custom leather, Bilstein HDs, Ansa sport, Royal Purple engine and driveline SOLD
    1997 318ti Active, Bostongruen, daily driver SOLD

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    When I picked up the car at BMW of Austin, Scott said that the detail manager had given him a heads up that the car was challenging and they couldn't do much about the rear bumper cover's permanent pock-marked acne from repeated run-ins with parked or parking vehicles. I remember when we visited NYC and stayed on the Upper East side. Cars were parallel parked on the streets with literally two or three inches between the bumpers. Many cars had huge pads strapped to the bumper - I'm sure to "gently" nudge another car to get enough room to angle out of the space. That is the only way they could have gotten out.

The car looked really good for what it was. Now instead of a "20-footer" it might fool people from ten feet away.

The trunk was immaculate.

The engine bay looked much better than when I had finished with it.

But the interior, which was very good to begin with, was showroom fresh.

I opened up the just-arrived fog lights to find them...

difficult to tell from OE Hellas. Not bad.

I pulled the crappy non-OE foglights.

Yes, that's blood in that last picture, because, you know, it never entered my mind that broken glass could, you know, cut you...

Swapped over the old bulbs that still worked. And I put the new foglights in.

And turned them on to make sure they worked.

The car was almost finished.
    Several days later, the cupholder and jack pad arrived.

I pulled the old POS cupholder out.

It really was a POS, unsurprisingly branded BMW, since it was replaced twice under warranty.

The new one looked the same, but cost about a third the price. It installed easily.

And worked just like it was supposed to. Not that it could ever hold anything but a can or very small cup or bottle.

I put in the jackpad. Maybe five seconds? And now the car was complete.

Except for one thing. The key needed something to set it off. I dug around and found the perfect complement.

When I leave on Wednesday, maybe our driveway will look a little less crowded.

I will keep everyone apprised as I make my way North and East to St. Louis. With pics and everything. And the reveal. Hopefully you won't miss anything. Thanks for your help and support to this point.

But for the next couple of days, I am driving this e39 to work. I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
    Last edited by e30topdown; 03-28-2017 at 12:13 AM.
    1992 325iC M-Technic factory appearance package, Diamantschwarz metallic, black nappa leather, black top, Dinan chip, K&N CAI, Remus exhaust
    1999 M Roadster, Dakar Yellow II, Dinan Stage 3, Dinan CAI, Dinan throttle body, Redline driveline, LiquiMoly 5w40 engine, BC Racing BR coilovers, Motion Motorsport under panel, S54 radiator and fan delete, BavSound speakers, Kenwood CD/iPod/aux/Bluetooth
    2001 Z3 3.0i coupe, Sapphire Black, auto (dang), suede headliner, LeatherZ sunroof screen
    1993 325iC, Schwarz II, custom leather, Bilstein HDs, Ansa sport, Royal Purple engine and driveline SOLD

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    This is awesome! I got a 97 528i for my first car as well as a junior in high school, I'm 25 now and still have it.

Definitely a great first car and a good one to learn to work on.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by e39hamann View Post
    This is awesome! I got a 97 528i for my first car as well as a junior in high school, I'm 25 now and still have it.

Definitely a great first car and a good one to learn to work on.
    That is inspirational! I'll let Jonathan know. These are the stories that make the owners of BMWs so much fun to know. Truly hope to meet you one day.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    First leg of the trip to St. Louis is in the books. I loaded up the car. Not that there was much to load. It wasn't anything close to, "All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go. I'm standing here outside your door." I had only a small bag, unlike when there are two of us traveling if you know what I mean.

I also packed a box with spare oil and fuel filters, a set of metric wrenches, 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets, a set of hex sockets for drain plugs, adapters, extensions, paper towels, gloves, flashlight, and a 3/8" torque wrench. The tools were extras I had on hand and would now be Jonathan's first tools. I also had my Sir3 reset tool (which would conveniently fit in my suitcase for the flight home) and electric contact cleaner, in case the SRS light came back on and the seat belt buckle receptacles needed cleaning again. And I could use them while on the road trip if needed. Of course, the folder containing the paperwork, the original owner's manual, and the new Texas title were in the box as well.

I went to the car wash and filled up with gas.

I walked around the car while waiting for the pump to do its thing. The car was striking, in spite of the few warts it had.

The e39 is just one of those cars the designers got right. You can't help but look back over your shoulder at it as you walk away.

I hit the road, cruising between 75 and 90 on an uncharacteristically sparsely-travelled I-35. I suppose each Wednesday late afternoon is like that, but this is the first opportunity I've had to find out. I'm usually on this stretch of road on the weekends or Friday evenings - when the never-ending construction on the interstate chokes traffic to a crawl.

I did stop for a break in Italy, Texas. Of course, when I looked over my shoulder at the car, I couldn't help but take a pic.

Mrs. Butterworth was looking good in the evening light. Why Mrs. Butterworth? The original owner's last name was Butterworth. And she was a Mrs.

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow on the road. I arrived safe and sound at my parents' in Dallas, and after a nice visit, I'm heading to bed.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Bravo! This is a fantastic story. e39s really are great cars. I had one from 2007-2010 and missed it so much I got another one last April. We took a big road trip last summer from NJ to New Orleans, Austin TX, up to Davenport IA and Chicago before coming back home. Couldn't have chosen a better ride for the trip. Now that you have wheel time, you'll want one for yourself!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Wow, you take the early to bed-early to rise anecdote, quite literally.
    I've enjoyed your thread from the beginning, have a Good Night's sleep.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Bravo! This is a fantastic story. e39s really are great cars. I had one from 2007-2010 and missed it so much I got another one last April. We took a big road trip last summer from NJ to New Orleans, Austin TX, up to Davenport IA and Chicago before coming back home. Couldn't have chosen a better ride for the trip. Now that you have wheel time, you'll want one for yourself!
    Thanks, Al! Yes, I remember your trip. You guys were going to stay with Connie and me in Austin, but we had to be out of town right when you were coming through Austin. Remember? I have a Dakar M Roadster, so I do like your Z3. I guess I didn't realize you were in an e39 on the trip. I thought it was a newer 5 series, I suppose. And yes. I just told my daughter that after today's leg of the trip, I really don't want to give the car up! "Jonathan, this is the car you were going to get, but now I'm driving it back to Austin. See ya!" Ha! No, you're right. I'm going to have to find one for myself. I really like my ti for a daily but could easily see myself driving an e39 for a daily. Probably a sport package car. But I'd be fine with either a 6 or V8.

Ken

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Today was one of those relaxed road trip days where the destination is only about five hours away, allowing you to spend some quality time with family. After a relaxed morning with my parents, I returned to my hometown of Allen, Texas, to visit with my cousin Milton and his wife, Patti.

Football is king in Allen. If Friday Night Lights was just being written today, it would be about the Allen Eagles. Allen, where the citizens passed a bond issue to build a $60 million football-only stadium. Allen, where being state champions in the state's largest classification is an annual expectation.

I attended high school and graduated with both Milton and Patti. Mr. Football and Head Cheerleader. High school sweethearts, they each gave up athletic scholarships to get married in the fall after high school graduation. I thought they were jumping the gun at the time, but they proved me wrong long ago. They built the house they are still living in with their own hands, taking three years to complete. They are completely devoted to each other. And no one else could put up with Milton. If I had to choose one person out of the 57 classmates I graduated with who still acted like they did in high school, it would be Milton. Jokester, prankster, quick-witted insulter with a less-than-flattering nickname for nearly everyone in the class of '76, Milton should have inspired dread, fear, and the occasional suicidal thought in those around him. Instead, the barbs were tempered with a genuine good-naturedness, a real caring and concern for others. And the barbs still are. Because he hasn't stopped or slowed down one iota. And everyone loves the guy. He is the one who issues the annual invitation for our class' pre-Thanksgiving get-together. He is the one who sends out the emails announcing that someone is in need, or sick, or has a new email address. He is the one who sends out funeral announcements.

Milton is also the consummate car guy. Although he has his own locksmithing business, he also builds custom hot rods and classic muscle cars in the shop behind his house. For himself. And for others. Currently he is building a certified authentic and very original 1969 Z28 Camaro.

The car is unmolested, with all of the important numbered parts still on it. The parts that prove it's a true Z28. When I stopped by today, Milton was replacing the floor pans, but only using the part of the new pans necessary to the repair, saving as much of the old pans as possible.

He had already saved the original fuel tank from the ravages of sitting for 12 years at the back of a shop in Plano, TX, not 10 miles south of Allen.

It was great to see his current project.

He has to hurry and finish the Camaro by the end of April; he already has the car sold. He has to be in Indianapolis in May at the Mecum auction to buy his dream car. The one that got away in Dallas just last fall when he just missed out on buying it. A 1941 Willys hot rod with a real steel body.

So how is Milton and his mad hot rod skills germane to my current journey to Missouri? Milton talked me into buying my first BMW eleven years ago. He still is the original owner of a beautiful Alpinweiss e36 328i sedan that he has lovingly cared for since new. And it still looks new. And the interior is Lotusweiss leather. White on white. I've only seen that in the e30 MTechnic appearance package cars from the early 90s.

i owe my entire BMW experience to Milton, who steered me away from looking at MB and Volvo and VW when I was looking for something to drive around the Texas Hill Country to my daughter's high school sports events. Without Milton, I wouldn't be on my way to surprise my grandson with this e39, and you wouldn't have wasted all this time reading this thread.

But it was good to see Milton and Patti today. And to be back in my hometown briefly in yet another BMW.

- - - Updated - - -

I really hate it when I spend all that time on a post...and then the freaking pictures don't show up! I'll have to fix it tomorrow. I suspect it has something to do with the iPad I brought on the trip. Instead of a laptop. Jesus H. Christ, I'm pissed right now!

Ok, I finally got to a computer to fix the pics above.
    Last edited by e30topdown; 04-02-2017 at 11:34 PM.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    After leaving Allen, I headed north on US 75 for Oklahoma. As usual, as I approached the Red River, I felt trepidation at crossing the river and leaving Texas.

It isn't the fact that I'm leaving my home state. It's that I'm entering Oklahoma.

In Texas we have eroded and washboard surfaces on dirt and gravel roads; in Oklahoma, even some of the major US highways have washboard surfaces. And the speed limits are substantially less than those of Texas. Probably because of the road surfaces. Nevertheless, I pushed on, and the e39 absorbed most of the rough roads just fine.

I'm still impressed that the difference between 80 mph in my e30 with an M20 and this five series with the M52 is about a thousand rpm.

Avoiding radar traps and traffic, the worst thing that happened in Oklahoma was watching the clear blue sky change to gray overcast. The only semi-interesting observation was passing through Carrie Underwood's hometown of Checotah.

It was nightfall when I entered Missouri only a few miles from my destination for the night's stay in Joplin, Missouri.

I had no idea where I was going to stay. I had looked at hotel pricing on Trip Advisor when I made an earlier pit stop in Pryor, Oklahoma but hadn't found anything less expensive than $90 for the night, not including taxes. I decided to see if I could find a deal on Hotwire, one of those services that lets you choose from hotels that give last minute offers at steep discounts to try and fill their remaining rooms for the night. The only downside is that you can't know the hotel until you book the discounted rate. So you're not choosing a hotel, you're choosing a price offer. I pulled into a McDonalds parking lot in the middle of the hotel district off of I-44 and decided a 2.5 to 3 star rating would suffice. An offer for a $44 king bed room popped up and I accepted. After paying for the room online, I received the name of the hotel, a Best Western just a block from the McDonalds. It was an older hotel that had been recently remodeled and was as good as rooms I've had before that cost 3 or 4 times this one. Not bad at all and a pretty good ending to a very good day.

And tomorrow would be even better; the last leg of my journey and REVEAL day for my grandson!

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Friday was gray and damp. Not raining, just a lot of humidity.

An unhurried schedule allowed me to dress, eat breakfast at the hotel, fill up with gas, and hit the road by 9 am. It should only take about four hours to get to Fenton, a suburb just a little west of St. Louis. Missouri roads are very good and the interstates are exceptional. So I let Mrs. Butterworth run a little bit.

And there wasn't much traffic.

The only time I had to slow down was when law enforcement was enforcing the laws or when some inattentive driver was ignoring the laws by driving in the left lane when they weren't passing anyone. Signs along the interstate in Missouri blare "Slower traffic keep right."

I did stop for a break in Rolla to check emails and call my substitute teacher to check on my classes.

I arrived in Fenton by 1 pm, picked up my daughter who had taken off work for the afternoon, washed the car, and headed to Bimmers R Us to talk to Jack about coming in on Saturday. More on Bimmers R Us Saturday after we take the car in. All I can say is, "Wow." Bimmerphile City. Such a collection of classic BMWs.

I took Sarah to run some errands, and then it was time to surprise Jonathan, who had gotten home from school. The idea was the family would be getting ready for dinner when I would knock on the door. Jonathan would be instructed to "get the door."

And that's pretty much the way it worked. Jonathan answered the door and stared blankly at me. I said, "Don't just stand there. I need you to get my suitcase out of your car." I had to say it twice; his mind was trying to focus on "why are you here?" "Get my suitcase out of your car." And then it started to sink in. Initial unedited video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rnR9UcfODQM

You can see the blank look and then the realization of what I was saying. It was great. More video to come later. For now some pics.

He still hasn't driven it but will tomorrow. Tonight he rode with me in it to get some frozen yogurt. Tomorrow Bimmers R Us will put it up on the lift to let me show Jonathan what has been done and what suspension needs still remain. I want him to be familiar with the car and understand that it's not a matter of what can go wrong with this car but instead what makes the car bulletproof in its reliability.

It's late and I admit I am physically and emotionally exhausted. It's been quite a journey. And today made me so glad that I was able to be involved in finding Jonathan's first car. As my cousin Milton said, "This is a really nice car. We didn't have anything nearly this nice when we were in high school." He is so right. But we didn't have BMWs either. I can't imagine what life would have been like if I had a 1600 or 2002 back then. Owning BMWs has had a huge impact on my life in just the last 12 years. What would the impact have been if that was stretched to 45+ years?

Maybe Jonathan will be able to find out.
    Last edited by e30topdown; 04-02-2017 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Another great day. I am a little concerned that karma will ask for all of these great days to be balanced out once I return to Texas next week. But I sure am enjoying myself right now.

We went to Bimmers R Us when they opened this morning at 10 am. I ogled the eye candy in their front room. Most of the cars are for sale.

I had never seen a 700 in person and there were three in this space! A couple of Isettas. Both e30 and e36 Bauers. A Z1. A beautiful e30 MTechnic cabrio. And then prisitine low mileage M3s, a 3.0i Z3 coupe rounded out the room. Outside were a 318ti Club Sport, a 318ti M Sport, and a customer's 2000 tii Touring.

In the shop area I found more desirable cars. A shop project 2002 with fresh paint and a rebuilt Downing Atlanta supercharged engine rested above a customer's e24 shark.

Jack said that the e24 was owned by a long-time customer. The car had been totalled in an accident and the owner couldn't let it go, spending whatever it took to get the car back to original condition.

Jack finished up with a customer and gathered Jonathan's information for his customer database.

I suddenly knew that I was actually parting with the car. I know it's silly, but I began to get a little choked up. This was short-lived as Jack handed me a flashlight and said the car is on the lift.

We gave the car a good look underneath. The front struts were missing parts of the foam bumpers but the rest of the front looked good.

The rear was going to need attention as both sets of arms and the interlinks need attention.

Bushings were cracked and splitting in parts.

I explained to Jonathan how to change the diff and tranny fluids and showed him where the various exhaust hangers were. They were all in good shape. Jack asked me where the car came from. When I told him Boston, he looked incredulous. He said he never would have guessed that the car came from the Northeast. It really was that corrosion-free underneath. Only the suspension parts had surface corrosion on them.

Jack lowered the car down.

We went back in the office area and Jonathan and I got a picture together.

Jack presented Jonathan with a Bimmers R Us shop shirt and explained to him the difference between bimmer and beemer in BMW techno-speak.

After sharing some stories of first cars and sold cars and cars we wish we had back, it was time to go. Jack couldn't have been more gracious during our visit. Thank you, Jack, for taking the time to welcome Jonathan into the BMW fold.

So much better than the pic of you sleeping on the e21 tool tray.

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    You are one "awesome" grandpa OP....starting that boy on BMW addiction !!!

How do you like the Ti so far? I thought about getting one as a DD.
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by TX S3 View Post
    You are one "awesome" grandpa OP....starting that boy on BMW addiction !!!

How do you like the Ti so far? I thought about getting one as a DD.
    Thanks! I really like my ti. It is the perfect daily driver. Inexpensive to maintain, easy on gas, fun to drive, and the rear seats folding down plus a hatch means I can haul a lot of stuff when I need to.

I bought a car that was probably looking at the scrap heap soon, put about a $1000 into sorting the mechanicals to prolong the car's life, and then chose to go ahead and do some additional but unnecessary things to make the car nicer. These included headliner, M Sport interior swap, and a cheap Maaco paint job, which is still holding up well.

And I also like owning and driving a car that is a rarity on the streets in the Austin area. I have maybe seen two others since I bought the car in July of 2015. The ti is a "cult" car with a loyal following. The folks at 318ti.org are a great support.

I looked for a good three months nationwide before I found "the one." Almost in my backyard in San Antonio.

Hope this helps in your decision.
    Last edited by e30topdown; 04-02-2017 at 11:26 PM.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    After some tentative driving around a church parking lot and repeated stop-and-gos to get used to the engagement point of the clutch, Jonathan decided he was ready to drive around the neighborhood. After 10 minutes of circling through the few streets and killing the car only three times (all while facing uphill), Jonathan was becoming more confident.

His first foray into real traffic was next and would either build or crush his burgeoning confidence. We headed to Autozone.

i could tell he was nervous. I tried to lighten the mood by talking about the safety features of the car. Not a good idea. He remained tense. And reluctant to move into the right hand lane for an upcoming right turn. He finally pulled over into the turn lane, very close to cutting off a fast-approaching truck. We got to the auto parts store unscathed.

Returning home was a harrowing experience for Jonathan. The traffic light wasn't operating properly, never issuing a green light or the green left turn arrow we needed. The first car in line to turn realized this after sitting through two light cycles and raced through the red light as cars opposite us turned left. But the woman in the second car didn't want to run a red light and sat through another light cycle.

By this time several cars were stacked up behind us. I told Jonathan to honk at the car in front when our light should turn green. The woman threw her arms in the air at his honk, but other drivers behind us began honking, too. This spurred her to "run" the red light. Jonathan started to go...but let out the clutch too quickly without enough gas and stalled the motor. He frantically restarted the car while the pickup truck driver behind us blared his horn at Jonathan. The motor caught but the cars on the main thoroughfare were already crossing through the intersection in front of us. Jonathan slowly pulled forward. He glared darkly at the pickup truck in his rear view mirror. When the cars opposite us started their own left turns, Jonathan went neatly through the intersection. I could tell he was somewhat shaken, but I also knew he was going to be okay.

That evening Jonathan drove me to a restaurant in West County, a good distance from Fenton. The route included busy city streets, highways, and a parking garage. He handled all of them. Except the last foot of the parking space. He didn't quite have the inertial motion of the car thing down, allowing the car's own movement to roll into the parking space. The car stopped short of being completely in the parking space. He tried to move forward but stalled the car, decided it was good enough and left the car where it was. When I got out, the car wasn't up to the curb, but it wasn't sticking out of the space either. I said, "Good call."

After dinner, I expected Jonathan to ask me to drive home in the darkness. He didn't ask. He just drove us home. In the dark. Well, with headlights and fog lights on. And he didn't stall the car once, not even pulling into his uphill driveway.

He's going to be just fine driving this 528i. And I couldn't have a bigger grin on my face right now.
    Last edited by e30topdown; 04-03-2017 at 01:32 PM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by e30topdown View Post
    Thanks, Al! Yes, I remember your trip. You guys were going to stay with Connie and me in Austin, but we had to be out of town right when you were coming through Austin. Remember? I have a Dakar M Roadster, so I do like your Z3. I guess I didn't realize you were in an e39 on the trip. I thought it was a newer 5 series, I suppose. And yes. I just told my daughter that after today's leg of the trip, I really don't want to give the car up! "Jonathan, this is the car you were going to get, but now I'm driving it back to Austin. See ya!" Ha! No, you're right. I'm going to have to find one for myself. I really like my ti for a daily but could easily see myself driving an e39 for a daily. Probably a sport package car. But I'd be fine with either a 6 or V8.

Ken
    Yes I do remember! We had a real nice time in Austin, great town, despite the heat. haha. I've had both I6 and V8 versions of this car, and the I6 is definitely the more nimble of the two, but the effortless thrust of the V8 is a pleasure.
    For proof, here's a shot of the 5er in Austin during our visit.

2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Yes I do remember! We had a real nice time in Austin, great town, despite the heat. haha. I've had both I6 and V8 versions of this car, and the I6 is definitely the more nimble of the two, but the effortless thrust of the V8 is a pleasure.
    For proof, here's a shot of the 5er in Austin during our visit.
    Don't need no stinkin' proof, Al. I knew you were here. They are still telling stories about you down on 6th Street!

- - - Updated - - -

Back home in Texas tonight after an unexciting flight...just the way I like it.

My daughter got a picture of me with the car one last time...in a new garage. Just ignore the acne on the rear bumper cover.

Goodbye, Mrs. Butterworth. I leave you in capable hands.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Great story! I also got an E39 530i after I got my driver's license at the age of 16! It was a battle between my father and I. We both loved the E39. But he wouldn't give up on the car. Somehow, I managed to get it. And I'm almost 17 now and that car has taught me a lot. Infact I bought myself another E39 530i, sport this time. With some miles though 216k. However, I love both of my cars and I have had the opportunity to work on these fantastic cars and meet a lot of great people. Hopefully Jonathan cherishes his E39 the way I do with both of mine.
    Last edited by Ajcanadian; 04-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    Current
    1999 BMW M3/2/5 cosmos/black vaders

Past
    2000 BMW M5, Jetblack
    1995 BMW M3/2/5, Alpine white
    1997 BMW 328/5, Boston green
    2005 BMW 330/6 ZHP, Silbergrau
    1999 BMW 540/6, Cashmere beige
    2000 BMW 328/5, 144k miles sienna red (slicktop)
    1995 BMW Dinan M3/2/5, Dakar yellow (I regret it)
    2002 BMW 530iA sport, Jetblack
    2001 BMW 530iA sport, cosmos
    2002 BMW 530iA, sterlinggrau

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    Thanks, AJ! Glad you could relate. And thanks for sharing your story. You do understand that once you have more than one BMW - no matter the model - there is no going back. It is a very slippery slope, too.

My Cars
    '92 325iC, 99 Z3M
    I just heard from my son-in-law who had taken Jonathan's 528i to get inspected today. I will quote him: "Not only did it pass, the tech started complimenting our maintenance abilities because he couldn't believe how good of condition the undercarriage and in general it was. He was almost speechless trying to describe how good of condition it was."

Then the tech made one of those mistakes that reflects poorly on auto repair shops in general and especially mechanics. My son-in-law continued, "...they mentioned that the power steering fluid looked old and gunky and needed to be flushed." What a racket auto repair can be. The tenet, "Find something wrong with the car, and if you can't, then make something up," is all too common in the industry.

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "You call that gunk? This is gunk, mate."

And I already replaced it.

Dumbass!
    Last edited by e30topdown; 04-05-2017 at 04:41 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by e30topdown View Post
    Thanks, AJ! Glad you could relate. And thanks for sharing your story. You do understand that once you have more than one BMW - no matter the model - there is no going back. It is a very slippery slope, too.
    That's very true. There's a reason why my father and I only buy BMW's now. Haha, it's an addiction.
    Current
    1999 BMW M3/2/5 cosmos/black vaders

Past
    2000 BMW M5, Jetblack
    1995 BMW M3/2/5, Alpine white
    1997 BMW 328/5, Boston green
    2005 BMW 330/6 ZHP, Silbergrau
    1999 BMW 540/6, Cashmere beige
    2000 BMW 328/5, 144k miles sienna red (slicktop)
    1995 BMW Dinan M3/2/5, Dakar yellow (I regret it)
    2002 BMW 530iA sport, Jetblack
    2001 BMW 530iA sport, cosmos
    2002 BMW 530iA, sterlinggrau

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    I don't even know how to start complimenting you.

All the love and work you put into sourcing the car, getting it back up to spec, your long journey to deliver it to a young man who had no idea he was getting a car (and an amazing first car at that) to your story telling and impeccable commentary, is just brilliant. Sadly I never got to work on or enjoy cars with my dad or grandfather, so I am a bit envious.

Thanks for the read!
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast