Thread: Greetings from a New Member and request for Help...No spark!

My Cars
    2008 BMW 528xi

Question Greetings from a New Member and request for Help...No spark!

Hello! New member Jabon here offering greetings to all!

Hoping for some guidance or advice from the pros! Recently noticed a bit of misfire on my '08 528xi and with 111k total miles now, figured it likely to be plugs or coils, so today I thought I would start small with replacing those. While I am no master mechanic, I do know the difference between a left handed and a right handed socket wrench No issues with the removal and install, yet when I got it all back together, I was greatly disappointed that she would not start. Cranks just fine, but I seem to not be getting any spark. Thinking I may have blown a fuse or perhaps pulled a connection loose somewhere without noticing. It got too dark to troubleshoot tonight, so I will take it apart tomorrow and try to see what I may have done wrong.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start or what I may have inadvertently done to result in no spark? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pleased and proud to be a new member!

My Cars
    2008 Nissan Titan CC
    It's been a while since I've replaced a set of spark plugs, but typically I follow the firing order and I disconnect the starter relay, lesson learned from an old Audi and Ford I had.

This may sound silly, but I would start by double checking all the COP (coil on plug - a.k.a coil packs) are seated properly, and that the connection/connector is connected all the way in. I've seen sometimes where they don't fully "snap/click" the sockets into place, causing all kinds of issues.

Other than that, It wouldn't hurt to check your fuses.

Welcome to the club!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabon View Post
    Hello! New member Jabon here offering greetings to all!

Hoping for some guidance or advice from the pros! Recently noticed a bit of misfire on my '08 528xi and with 111k total miles now, figured it likely to be plugs or coils, so today I thought I would start small with replacing those. While I am no master mechanic, I do know the difference between a left handed and a right handed socket wrench No issues with the removal and install, yet when I got it all back together, I was greatly disappointed that she would not start. Cranks just fine, but I seem to not be getting any spark. Thinking I may have blown a fuse or perhaps pulled a connection loose somewhere without noticing. It got too dark to troubleshoot tonight, so I will take it apart tomorrow and try to see what I may have done wrong.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start or what I may have inadvertently done to result in no spark? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pleased and proud to be a new member!

Welcome to the forum! I've attached a helpful DIY tech article from our site that may be helpful in troubleshooting and hopefully resolving your spark issue. If you have additional questions, feel free to post a Comment just below the article and someone will get back to you with a more detailed answer. Best of luck!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST