Thread: What is your definition of a "clone" car?

My Cars
    '95 525it

What is your definition of a "clone" car?

Hey, I've got a little question regarding generic collector car nomenclature. I'd like to gain the insights of the forum.

I'm putting together a little article on a rare muscle car, a Ford 429 Super Cobra Jet model. It's come to my attention that the car has a detractor, who claims it's a clone. While the car does not have its original engine, my understanding is that the car rolled off the assembly line with a 429 SCJ under the hood.

The car was also in an collision at some point, do I'd assume that some of the bodywork also is not original to the car. A few body parts are specific to the model, such as a shaker hood. But if the VIN identifies it as a rare SCJ model, would you agree that it is NOT a clone, even though the numbers do not match the original equipment on this car?

To me a clone is a car that started out as a relatively humble model that was built up with parts from one that was more desirable -- a 525i, for instance, turned into a clone M5. Anybody agree? Disagree?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Agreed, if VIN is SCJ specific then it is.
    That is the first time I've heard anyone claim a car with a replacement engine to be a clone. Some guys.....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '95 525it
    Complicating the matter, the owner had the car up for sale awhile back. and HE called it a clone in the ad. But the ad went on to say the VIN is correct for an SCJ.

I guess I'm going to have to ask the owner for the VIN to ensure that the car is what he says it is. I'm not crazy about implying that I don't trust the guy, but you've gotta do what you gotta do. I'm also going to contact the critic to find out his story.

Edit: The critic sent his potshot using s spoofed email address. Nice.
    Last edited by mrgraybeard; 03-09-2017 at 02:22 PM.

My Cars
    are rusting away
    A clone is a lowly car built up to look like the original spec ones, like building up a bone stock charger to look like a daytona. Calling a Charger Daytona a clone because you replaced a fender due to damage is just plain wrong. Is it a matching numbers car? Nah. Does that reduce the value to some people? Yeah. But a clone it is not.
    Last edited by MehMan; 03-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Live slow, die whenever

My Cars
    1992 525
    Link to ad?
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    '95 525it
    I'd rather not link to the ad. As it turned out, the owners got a little huffy when I asked them for the car's VIN. No VIN = no article.

I don't know what they expected would happen if someone came forward with an offer on the car. Who would drop 40 grand on an old Ford without knowing the VIN? Oh, well, I have no need or desire to read their minds.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    You are absolutely correct. If a vehicle started off as a specific model then as long as a significant part of it is still in tact (I.e. chassis) with its VIN then it's the real deal. I can't count the number of times I've seen one of the restoration shows take a completely rusted out hulk and bring it back to life. They aren't going to do that for some model that has no collectibility. And, they aren't going modify some base model to make it into it isn't for the same reason. By the way, really cool car. Good luck with it!