RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 330i E92 strange rough Idle

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport

BMW 330i E92 strange rough Idle

Hi All,
    I've got this rough idle when my engine is cold. When i'm on the road no problem. When i stop, it starts to do this. As soon as the engine is warm it goes away...
    It smells gasoline and some white smoke is pouring out of the exhaust.
    I've replaced all my spark plugs and my ccv valve recently. And i noticed 2 of my injectors were leaking a little. Nothing creazy is shown on inpa in rough running test.
    Any ideas ?
    Here is a video that shows the issue :
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/o5B4OGFjAf8
    Last edited by cybergogo; 03-07-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Check out the link below - it could be your vanos solenoid. Are you able to have the codes read? If so, this should give you a great place to start troubleshooting.

BMW VANOS Solenoid Replacement

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Check out the link below - it could be your vanos solenoid. Are you able to have the codes read? If so, this should give you a great place to start troubleshooting.

BMW VANOS Solenoid Replacement

-Dmitry
    Thanks for the reply.
    I just ordered 2 new injectors so i can replace the two that are leaking.
    What i'll do is when i'll replace those, i'll check the vanos and clean them. I'll also check the ignintion coils resistance to see if there isn't a bad one messing with my idle.
    I'll let you know if it solves my issue.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A diagnostic scan would answer those questions for you.The codes displayed provide the clues to the correct diagnosis.
    I'm no expert on INPA functions, but I understand there is more available than a rough running test screen.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-09-2017 at 11:56 PM.

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    A diagnostic scan would answer those questions for you.The codes displayed provide the clues to the correct diagnosis.
    I'm no expert on INPA functions, but I understand there is more available than a rough running test screen.
    Unfortunatly inpa doesn't show me error codes....

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    OK, so. BMW has been quick on this one, got the 2 injectors today.
    I just replaced them and coded the car.
    The corresponding spark plugs were wet, the 4 others were perfect. I've also checked the 6 coils resistance, all OK (below 5ohms which is the recommanded value).
    I've also checked the vanos, you'll tell me what you think but i find they're quite clean...
    Here are the Vanos before cleaning :
    eChIz8o.jpg
    GTh9Mm9.jpg

And after :
    20170310_160434.jpg20170310_160449.jpg

The result is a smoother acceleration, global behavior seems improved.
    Still a bit of white smoke when engine is cold but much less.
    I've checked the coolant, was above maximum, so no water leak, same for oil.
    BUT, my idle is still going up and down.
    To be specific, it's quite good when i'm standing still, not touching a pedal. As soon as I touch the clutch pedal, the idle becomes unstable.
    Here is a video of my INPA vanos and lambda readings when the problem happens, you'll tell me what you think :
    [flash=400,300]https://youtu.be/D2ukX8W9EOg[/flash]
    Last edited by cybergogo; 03-10-2017 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I have to state, that my knowledge of INPA readings is very limited, but from what I can understand, those readings don't throw any red flags.
    The basic symptoms lead me to say CCV system, but you say that you have replaced it? Genuine BMW or OEM I hope.
    If CCV valve is operating properly and hoses are intact, then I suspect intake leak.
    A smoke test with a professional smoke machine, will indicate location of hard to locate leaks in the system,
    though I am not sure of how difficult or available this would be in your area.

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    I have to state, that my knowledge of INPA readings is very limited, but from what I can understand, those readings don't throw any red flags.
    The basic symptoms lead me to say CCV system, but you say that you have replaced it? Genuine BMW or OEM I hope.
    If CCV valve is operating properly and hoses are intact, then I suspect intake leak.
    A smoke test with a professional smoke machine, will indicate location of hard to locate leaks in the system,
    though I am not sure of how difficult or available this would be in your area.
    I've replaced the CCV membrane only ! That was 3 months ago.
    It was with a kit sold in order to avoid replacing the whole plastic cover (which was ok in my case, the membrane inside was totally destroyed...).
    I didn't have the possibility to check all the hoses because i didn't disassemble the intake manifold and the hoses go way below...

I've planned all this for my summer car preparation which will include :
    Front and read Disk/pads replacement, new steering rod, stabilisator rod, intake manifold and crankcase cover removal for cleaning and all seal/gasket replacement.
    If you've any advice for me i'm all ears ! :-)

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Just a quick update.
    I've replaced the water temperature sensor. The old one had a bit of oxydation on it but it didn't change the engine behavior.
    I've also tried to unplug the MAF sensor, and it solves most part of the issue.
    When plugged, the rpm goes up and down between 500 and 1400rpm. When unplugged, the rpm varies between 600 and 800.
    So it's much better unplugged, not perfect yet.
    Still, the strange thing is, this problem only happens when the engine is cold. Don't see the link between MAF and engine temperature...
    What do you think about this? bad news is this sensor cost nearly 200€.
    I'm still planning a complete admission cleaning this month, it will not arm...
    Please let me know what you'd do if you were in my situation. :-)

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    No error codes in INPA with all the symptoms you've described seems rather bizarre, or your version of INPA isn't working correctly.
    From your descriptions, I highly suspect intake,CCV system leaks. Until you can confirm every possible boot, hoses, lines, seals, in these systems are intact,
    then no further diagnosis can be had, without a pro smoke machine to confirm no leaks in any systems exist. We must know definitely that no unmetered air,
    is infiltrating the engine systems, or we're just speculating.

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    No error codes in INPA with all the symptoms you've described seems rather bizarre, or your version of INPA isn't working correctly.
    From your descriptions, I highly suspect intake,CCV system leaks. Until you can confirm every possible boot, hoses, lines, seals, in these systems are intact,
    then no further diagnosis can be had, without a pro smoke machine to confirm no leaks in any systems exist. We must know definitely that no unmetered air,
    is infiltrating the engine systems, or we're just speculating.
    Well, just did the smoke test, no leak visible...

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Performed using a professional smoke machine, over a time span of 10~15min,at a steady 10~15psi?
    If not, then your back to square one!

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Performed using a professional smoke machine, over a time span of 10~15min,at a steady 10~15psi?
    If not, then your back to square one!
    I've used the diy way, worked well for me before. I've performed the test for nearly 30min, was above 15psi.
    If i find a WS that can do this test in my area, i'll do it, but haven't found one yet...

I've tried the car again, maf unplugged before startup, and it worked quite well. The idle oscilation only appeared when i was stopped and pressing on the clutch pedal...

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Running rough at idle, smelling gas,tells me unmettered air is causing lean fuel mixture issues,
    causing the 02 sensors and DME to compensate by running rich.
    Unplugging the MAF and running better is another indication of intake leaks.
    The smoke billowing out of your exhaust signals a failed CCV system or possibly a headgasket leak.
    I'm willing to speculate on my final diagnosis.
    Replace all fuel injector o-rings, replace CCV valve and assorted hoses,02sensors if near 100k mi.
    If symptoms persist, swap or replace MAF.
    ANY or ALL sensor replacement parts must be Genuine BMW OE or OEM only,
    or you start another thread chasing down electrical gremlins or electronic anomalies.
    Diagnosing BMW symptoms usually isn't very difficult, if proper diagnostic steps and procedures are followed.

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Running rough at idle, smelling gas,tells me unmettered air is causing lean fuel mixture issues,
    causing the 02 sensors and DME to compensate by running rich.
    Unplugging the MAF and running better is another indication of intake leaks.
    The smoke billowing out of your exhaust signals a failed CCV system or possibly a headgasket leak.
    I'm willing to speculate on my final diagnosis.
    Replace all fuel injector o-rings, replace CCV valve and assorted hoses,02sensors if near 100k mi.
    If symptoms persist, swap or replace MAF.
    ANY or ALL sensor replacement parts must be Genuine BMW OE or OEM only,
    or you start another thread chasing down electrical gremlins or electronic anomalies.
    Diagnosing BMW symptoms usually isn't very difficult, if proper diagnostic steps and procedures are followed.
    I've bougth the o-rings, planning to do the replacement soon, same thing for ccv system. O2 sensors aren't old. Headgasket would be bad... :-(

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Hi,
    just a quick update since the last post.
    I've performed a complete intake and valve cleanup + seals replacement.
    It took roughly 7 hours, everything went well! after that, the car has smoother acceleration, idle is now at 620rpm instead of 740, with a little bit of vibrations at cold, but the cold idle yoyoing issue was still here.
    Then my ECU decided not to work anymore, fortunately it was just a transistor that went bad and i've replaced it myself for 20€ (1500€ saved!).
    It seems it burns a coil, so i replaced the entire pack. Still have the bad cold idle.
    Last thing, i've had nox sensor errors. But don't know if it's because of the failing sensor or because of bad mixture due to bad injectors.
    Will wait to see if the error comes back.
    What do you think about all that?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah and she's smoking white. Not losing any oil or coolant...

My Cars
    2011 e90 330i N53
    Hello,

You didn't answer me in an other forum, maybe you will in this one

My car is a 2011 e90 330i N53 engine.

I have the same problem, here is what I've done already :

- Fixed leaking injector and coded
    - Clean Vanos with brake cleaner
    - Restart adaptations (flywheel included)
    - Increase idle RPM with INPA
    - Verify if DISA is working properly
    - 6 new coils
    - 6 new spark plugs
    - Cleaned MAF with contact spray (heavily)
    - Verify low and high pressure fuel during coldstart / and when stopped via INPA
    - Verify/clean throttle body

Nothing I have done solved the problem. Idle is rough and everything gets worst when I press the clutch, but when warm, everything is fine again.

But, I have a 2AEC code (NOx sensor) sometimes.

I will do a verification as bimmerprofs.com says to do, to check if everything is fine with catalytic converter system.

Did you find the problem?

My Cars
    EXOTICS

N53

Try to start your own thread to prevent confusion,
    thread jacking sometimes causes problems!
    If you're in 100k mile territory - just install new o2 sensors.

My Cars
    2011 e90 330i N53
    Sorry about that, I thought we could help each other as our problem seems to be the same, and it's a N53 too.

I'm 73k miles, but I think I'll check the values first and if something looks wrong I'll change it to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks.

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by N53 View Post
    Sorry about that, I thought we could help each other as our problem seems to be the same, and it's a N53 too.

I'm 73k miles, but I think I'll check the values first and if something looks wrong I'll change it to see if it solves the problem.

Thanks.
    Hi mate,
    I also had the nox sensor error. And my last mechanic also told me that o2 sensors had to be replaced quite often.
    I didn't want to replace those because of the bill for unsure diagnosis (1500€ just to try, i'll wait !).
    Have you tried since your last messages ?

My Cars
    2011 e90 330i N53
    Hi Cybergogo,

I made two checks of values with INPA.

The first one, I erased the 2AEC Error Code before checking values, I didn't know that it would influence the results.

The error reappered one day later, I checked the values again and sent them to bimmerpost (explaining the cold start issue) to help me to check if everithing was ok.

To summarize, with this error, the car is unable to use the stratified injection mode, and it could be (not sure) also the reason for the uneven/rough idle at cold start, and it was not worth to make more verifications without changing the NOx sensor first. He advised me to buy the OEM sensor as my catalityc converter still seems good.

So I explained it to my mechanic and he will make some checks to the NOx sensor before deciding to change it or not, I don't know what he will do to phisycally check the sensor, I'll know the conclusion wednesday. (when I'll let the car at his garage).

Surprisingly, the 2AEC error didn't appeared since I spoke to my mechanic, it usually appears 1-2 days after erasing it. Maybe because of cold weather we have these days, I don't know, I also went to another petrol station this last time but it's not the first time I went there, and it didn't stopped the problem the other times.
    The cold starts idle is actually smoother but far from perfect, it still shakes, I just don't ear the DISA/throttle body noises.

I'll bring more news wednesday.

My Cars
    2011 e90 330i N53
    Hello,

the 2AEC code error reappered finally, my elm cable must have some problem and didn't see it, but with my BMW cable I was able to see that the error came back.

For now, my mechanic didn't replaced the NOx sensor, but he took it out, cleaned it and made the procedure as if it was replaced, I think it's what ISTA-D or some software says to do for this code error.

He told me to check if the code error comes back. If so, the sensor have to be replaced.

Some adaptations were reset, so I'll wait some days to see if it gets better.
    Last edited by N53; 02-17-2018 at 02:46 AM.

My Cars
    E92 330i Coupe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by N53 View Post
    Hello,

the 2AEC code error reappered finally, my elm cable must have some problem and didn't see it, but with my BMW cable I was able to see that the error came back.

For now, my mechanic didn't replaced the NOx sensor, but he took it out, cleaned it and made the procedure as if it was replaced, I think it's what ISTA-D or some software says to do for this code error.

He told me to check if the code error comes back. If so, the sensor have to be replaced.

Some adaptations were reset, so I'll wait some days to see if it gets better.
    Very interesting. Could you please let us know if it became better ?

My Cars
    2011 e90 330i N53
    Hello,

until now the NOx sensor error code didn't reappeared.
    The coldstart idle still shakes, it didn't clearly improved.

I'll wait a little more and check if the NOx sensor error code don't come back, if not, I'll try something else:

I already cleaned the VANOS solenoids last year but this time I think I'll invert the exhaust solenoid with the admission solenoid. But first I have to be sure that they are both the exact same part.

My Cars
    2011 e90 330i N53
    Hi,

after more than 2 weeks (driving 45km almost everyday) since my mechanic cleaned the NOx Sensor: no error codes!
    If it can last 5k-10k, I'm ok with it

But I have other news:
    I swapped the VANOS solenoids last saturday, and I had obvious improvement!
    It idles really smoother on coldstarts, just a few (maybe) misfires when driving at low rpm's (I think it's because the damaged solenoid is still there, I only swapped them).
    I feel also that I have more power at low rpm's.

I don't know if I have to restart adaptations after that, maybe it will stop misfires.
    Or I'll try cleaning them better than last time, maybe it can solve this too.
    If not, I'll replace both with new ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast