Thread: New owner of 99 Dinan Supercharged M3 - Oil Cooling Questions

My Cars
    1999 Dinan S3 M3

New owner of 99 Dinan Supercharged M3 - Oil Cooling Questions

I have searched and wanted to get feedback from folks. I plan on tracking the car occasionally and take spirited drives. I am worried about heat build up and heat soak due to supercharger. I had a modified 335i and learned managing heat kept that car happy and very fast. I will be refreshing the cooling system soon on the E36. I have a motion motorsport underpanel and baffle but cooling is stock/original for now. Engine has Dinan intake, injectors, and throttle body to go with dinan supercharger. Planning on doing M50 manifold and asc delete at some point.

What Oil Cooling suggestions do you have?

What Engine Cooling suggestions do you have?

What Intercooler/Aftercooler suggestions do you have?

Any other input is appreciated. Car has plenty of power so now I want to make it reliable and consistent power. Not sure since I don't dyno cars but from what I am reading should be in the range of 360-400 crank hp with m50 manifold???

Not new to E36 m3s as I own a 1995 E36 M3 but new to superchargers and their specific needs.
    1999 Dinan 3 Supercharged M3 Alpine White (Open to Selling)
    2017 Tesla Model X
    2018 Land Rovery Discovery Diesel Off-Road
    1995 M3 5 Speed Cosmos Black (SOLD)
    2008 550i M-Sport (SOLD)
    2011 335i 6 Speed Alpine White (SOLD)
    2004 ZHP 6 Speed Grey (SOLD)
    Mercedes GL550 (SOLD)
    Formula 252SS with 502 Mag/B1 (SOLD)

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Stewart waterpump and an 80*c thermostat with a mishmoto or OEM Z3M radiator. Run just water on track days, maybe some water wetter. If it fits with the dinan kit, I'd run the euro oil filter housing with an oil cooler of your choice. You really need to make finding and aftercooler one of your top priorities if you want to track it.

My Cars
    01M5, 99M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab31169 View Post
    Stewart waterpump and an 80*c thermostat with a mishmoto or OEM Z3M radiator. Run just water on track days, maybe some water wetter. If it fits with the dinan kit, I'd run the euro oil filter housing with an oil cooler of your choice. You really need to make finding and aftercooler one of your top priorities if you want to track it.
    He's right. You'll have a great time tracking in winter/spring but as soon as the weather gets warm, be prepared to drive a slower than stock E36 on the track. My VF kit is useless in warm/high temperatures, I get IATs of almost 200* and the ECU pulls timing. I was going to custom build an intercooler kit for my VF but decided to just make the jump to turbo instead.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by illmatik View Post

He's right. You'll have a great time tracking in winter/spring but as soon as the weather gets warm, be prepared to drive a slower than stock E36 on the track. My VF kit is useless in warm/high temperatures, I get IATs of almost 200* and the ECU pulls timing. I was going to custom build an intercooler kit for my VF but decided to just make the jump to turbo instead.
    Smart man.

My Cars
    01M5, 99M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Smart man.
    Part of me thinks I'm crazy for building a turbo road racing E36... the other part of me says **** it.

booooooost.jpg

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    I don't track my car, but I went with an oil cooler kit anyway. I pieced together a Euro oil cooler kit. I went with that because it's a factory fit, has a thermostat in the oil filter housing to bypass when the oil is cold, and works. If you buy the ready made kits with AN10 fittings and stainless lines, you're looking at over $1200. I found a used S54 oil filter housing for $225, the oil cooler heat exchanger was $170 at Autohausaz, but it looks like they don't sell it anymore....maybe give them a call? (part# 17212224084). You'll need a vanos bolt and AN-10 fitting kit which you can find on bimmerworld's site. Since you're doing your cooling system, get the Z3M radiator from an S54 Z3. It's a bit of an upgrade and has the brackets needed to mount the Euro oil cooler. There are 2 bolts you'll need and I just can't remember the part numbers. If you use an S52 radiator, then you need to attach brackets. For hoses I ordered them from Summitt racing. A couple 45 deg fittings, a couple 90 deg fittings, 2 3ft. stainless braided hoses, and it's really easy to build up (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220086b https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220087b https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230003). I believe that's everything and wound up saving a bit of money. There's other alternatives you can check out on bimmerworld and VAC Motorsports.

Definitely get some cooling for your kit to avoid heat soak.
    Last edited by abradic; 03-08-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    1999 Dinan S3 M3
    I guess I am on the right track as far as SC goes. Not ready to drop it all and go turbo just yet as I like the linear feel of the SC and not the wallop of a turbo (I had a 335i that at times was a handfull and it was well sorted).

I already have the following sitting in my garage:
    - S54 Z3M 3 Row Radiator
    - Mishimoto Silicone Hoses
    - Stewart Water Pump
    - Metal Expansion Tank
    - Metal Thermostat Housing
    - 80* Thermostat
    - Motion Motor Sport Underpanel and baffle already installed.
    - Aux Fan with Switch
    - Turner Stage 2 Oil Cooler Kit with Euro Oil Cooler and AN10 Lines to address SC routing. Picked up a new kit off another E36 guy selling his and worked out well for both of us.

As I dig into the work that is required I have questions on what else should be done.

- Oil Pan Baffle
    - Oil Pump Nut and Shaft Upgrade
    - Magnetic Oil Nut
    - Pullies

Anything else if I am already messing with water and oil cooling?
    2017 Tesla Model X
    2008 550i M-Sport (SOLD)
    Mercedes GL550 (SOLD)

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Looks like a good list
    1995 M3...Screwed

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by lafuerza View Post
    I guess I am on the right track as far as SC goes. Not ready to drop it all and go turbo just yet as I like the linear feel of the SC and not the wallop of a turbo (I had a 335i that at times was a handfull and it was well sorted).

I already have the following sitting in my garage:
    - S54 Z3M 3 Row Radiator
    - Mishimoto Silicone Hoses
    - Stewart Water Pump
    - Metal Expansion Tank
    - Metal Thermostat Housing
    - 80* Thermostat
    - Motion Motor Sport Underpanel and baffle already installed.
    - Aux Fan with Switch
    - Turner Stage 2 Oil Cooler Kit with Euro Oil Cooler and AN10 Lines to address SC routing. Picked up a new kit off another E36 guy selling his and worked out well for both of us.

As I dig into the work that is required I have questions on what else should be done.

- Oil Pan Baffle
    - Oil Pump Nut and Shaft Upgrade
    - Magnetic Oil Nut
    - Pullies

Anything else if I am already messing with water and oil cooling?
    I don't think the baffle works with the oil cooler in place.

Look into an RMS aftercooler kit. I have a kit I MIGHT sell if my full 13psi setup won't sell as-is. I also have a race built heat exchanger for the RMS aftercooler that Osh built for Kurt Hissong's track only E36.

My Cars
    99 Jeep Cherokee
    Sorta on this topic- and I dont mean to hijack at all, but is an oil cooler anything I should consider if Im not planning on tracking the car? I as well have a Dinan supercharged (1996) M3.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    I don't think the baffle works with the oil cooler in place.

Look into an RMS aftercooler kit. I have a kit I MIGHT sell if my full 13psi setup won't sell as-is. I also have a race built heat exchanger for the RMS aftercooler that Osh built for Kurt Hissong's track only E36.
    Why wouldn't an oil pan baffle work with an oil cooler in place? I have an oil pan baffle (bought from Achilles Motorsports) and the same Euro oil cooler setup the OP will use with no issues. The oil cooler should have no effect on the oil pan baffle, I'm curious how it could be incompatible?

Quote Originally Posted by frost12850 View Post
    Sorta on this topic- and I dont mean to hijack at all, but is an oil cooler anything I should consider if Im not planning on tracking the car? I as well have a Dinan supercharged (1996) M3.
    You won't need an oil cooler, but anything you can add to keep oil temps lower is going to be better. You'll probably run it hard on some hot summer days, and while it's not as hard on the car as a track day, it's still nice to have an added item to keep oil temps lower than they would be. It's worth it if you can add one.
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Quote Originally Posted by abradic View Post
    I don't track my car, but I went with an oil cooler kit anyway. I pieced together a Euro oil cooler kit. I went with that because it's a factory fit, has a thermostat in the oil filter housing to bypass when the oil is cold, and works. If you buy the ready made kits with AN10 fittings and stainless lines, you're looking at over $1200. I found a used S54 oil filter housing for $225, the oil cooler heat exchanger was $170 at Autohausaz, but it looks like they don't sell it anymore....maybe give them a call? (part# 17212224084). You'll need a vanos bolt and AN-10 fitting kit which you can find on bimmerworld's site. Since you're doing your cooling system, get the Z3M radiator from an S54 Z3. It's a bit of an upgrade and has the brackets needed to mount the Euro oil cooler. There are 2 bolts you'll need and I just can't remember the part numbers. If you use an S52 radiator, then you need to attach brackets. For hoses I ordered them from Summitt racing. A couple 45 deg fittings, a couple 90 deg fittings, 2 3ft. stainless braided hoses, and it's really easy to build up (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220086b https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220087b https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230003). I believe that's everything and wound up saving a bit of money. There's other alternatives you can check out on bimmerworld and VAC Motorsports.

Definitely get some cooling for your kit to avoid heat soak.
    The power of the search function!

I am compiling a list of parts (new, used, US and Euro) to install an oil cooler on my E36.

The S54 filter housing, lines and heat exchanger should work nicely I think. And now I just learned if I use the S54 Z3 radiator it has the mounting points for the HE. I've been looking at realOEM US and Euro diagrams for days trying to figure out where/how the damn thing mounts. Does the US radiator have mounting points for the Euro HE? Do the E46 lines fit on the E36 Euro HE?

Do I need any brackets bolts etc to make a clean factory looking install? Hose retainer clips etc?

It seems that the parts are scattered through different sections of the realOEM pages.

Thanks in advance for guidance and/or photos! I will continue my search here too.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiMASTER View Post
    The power of the search function!

I am compiling a list of parts (new, used, US and Euro) to install an oil cooler on my E36.

The S54 filter housing, lines and heat exchanger should work nicely I think. And now I just learned if I use the S54 Z3 radiator it has the mounting points for the HE. I've been looking at realOEM US and Euro diagrams for days trying to figure out where/how the damn thing mounts. Does the US radiator have mounting points for the Euro HE? Do the E46 lines fit on the E36 Euro HE?

Do I need any brackets bolts etc to make a clean factory looking install? Hose retainer clips etc?

It seems that the parts are scattered through different sections of the realOEM pages.

Thanks in advance for guidance and/or photos! I will continue my search here too.
    The US S52 radiator does not have the mounting points like the Z3M S54 radiator does, you would have to purchase those but really you're better off getting the Z3M radiator. Bimmerworld and VAC have the mounting tabs for the S52 radiator if you still want that one. I never looked into whether or not the S54 heat exchanger would work, nor if the lines would work on an E36, I just know the filter housing is the same with the added routing for the oil cooler built in. I still think the best way to do the lines is to add AN-10 fittings to the heat exchanger and build up some stainless braided lines. There were 2 bolts that I can't currently remember the part numbers of you will need as well, I'm trying to jog my memory what they were for. I think they were the bolts to attach the heat exchanger to the radiator and were only a few dollars each from the dealer.

My Cars
    1999 Dinan S3 M3
    The motion motorsport radiator baffle may be tight or not work at all with the oil cooler kit. The Z3M S54 radiator is shorter than the stock E36 one but once you add the oil cooler it gets iffy. I know when we get around to installing it all since I will just do it all at once.
    2017 Tesla Model X
    2008 550i M-Sport (SOLD)
    Mercedes GL550 (SOLD)

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Why wouldn't an oil pan baffle work with an oil cooler in place? I have an oil pan baffle (bought from Achilles Motorsports) and the same Euro oil cooler setup the OP will use with no issues. The oil cooler should have no effect on the oil pan baffle, I'm curious how it could be incompatible?

You won't need an oil cooler, but anything you can add to keep oil temps lower is going to be better. You'll probably run it hard on some hot summer days, and while it's not as hard on the car as a track day, it's still nice to have an added item to keep oil temps lower than they would be. It's worth it if you can add one.
    Motion Radiator baffle...

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Motion Radiator baffle...
    Ahhh, ok. I have not seen this under panel cover before, it looks like a really nice piece. Would you or anyone else know if this under panel will fit with an intercooled AA SC kit?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    The US S52 radiator does not have the mounting points like the Z3M S54 radiator does, you would have to purchase those but really you're better off getting the Z3M radiator. Bimmerworld and VAC have the mounting tabs for the S52 radiator if you still want that one. I never looked into whether or not the S54 heat exchanger would work, nor if the lines would work on an E36, I just know the filter housing is the same with the added routing for the oil cooler built in. I still think the best way to do the lines is to add AN-10 fittings to the heat exchanger and build up some stainless braided lines. There were 2 bolts that I can't currently remember the part numbers of you will need as well, I'm trying to jog my memory what they were for. I think they were the bolts to attach the heat exchanger to the radiator and were only a few dollars each from the dealer.
    I was planning to use the late Z3M radiator- that's the Z3S54 rather than earlier M Roadsters which were S52US.

I gather the holes are there and line up... and it is a better radiator as well if I'm not mistaken. I'll see if I can find some dimensions. But I think that will all work. I presume I'd also need the S54 fan shroud? Or does the S52 shroud fit the S54 Z3 radiator?

Hardware/clips in not too worried about. I have a good stash and the dealer is not far. It's just difficult finding info as it's scattered in different areas of realoem.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by illmatik View Post
    I have a custom water/air intercooler. Power loss is no more noticeable in hot weather than in any other car, n/a, turbo, or whatever. And it is much hotter here than in your area.
    It was definitely a dog in hot weather before I added the intercooler. Some kind of cooler or meth is a must for any forced induction, and with a lower-boost centrifugal supercharger setup you really cant afford to waste precious RPM/psi pressurizing a front mount air-to-air. The water/air is worth the price tag.