Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 1197 BMW e39 540i - Stereo Upgrade Needed

My Cars
    BMW 540i

1997 BMW e39 540i - Stereo Upgrade Needed

The factory stereo that came in 1997 in beyond horrible. Does anyone have any mods that are relatively inexpensive that could make a huge difference?

Thanks,
    Frank
    1997 540 / 6 Sport, 2001 540 staggered rims
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hi Frank - are you talking about the speakers themselves or what aspect of the system? I'm guessing you have the non HK version.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Dmitry - the E39 never was equipped with HK, but I think you meant DSP!

Frank - There's multiple ways of making a 'significant' difference to the E39 OEM audio systems. Do you mean in terms of functionality that it's 'beyond horrible'? or do you mean in terms of Sound Quality? or, both ?

If you mean Sound Quality, then if you wish to keep the OEM head unit, then you'll hear a 'significant' difference if you get the Stage One E39 specific speaker upgrade from BSW. These are $397. They'll give a better midrange and treble SQ increase. It's debateable if they give a 'huge' difference. I've heard similar upgrade speakers and the increase is only marginal for me, other's find they like it much more.

If that's not enough for you, then what you mean by 'relatively inexpensive' also becomes debateable. For a 'huge' difference in Sound Quality and modern Functionality, then I think spending perhaps $1000-1500 on a full aftermarket and high quality setup is inexpensive. In the mid to late 90's to get similar performance would have typically cost 2-4 times as much.

If you look through this and other forums, car audio forums, you'll see what other E39 owners have done and you can evaluate what you'd like given your requirements and anticipated budget.

If you provide more of what you'd like ideally here, I'm sure others and myself can help you more.

Cheers, Dennis!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

Dmitry - the E39 never was equipped with HK, but I think you meant DSP!

Frank - There's multiple ways of making a 'significant' difference to the E39 OEM audio systems. Do you mean in terms of functionality that it's 'beyond horrible'? or do you mean in terms of Sound Quality? or, both ?

If you mean Sound Quality, then if you wish to keep the OEM head unit, then you'll hear a 'significant' difference if you get the Stage One E39 specific speaker upgrade from BSW. These are $397. They'll give a better midrange and treble SQ increase. It's debateable if they give a 'huge' difference. I've heard similar upgrade speakers and the increase is only marginal for me, other's find they like it much more.

If that's not enough for you, then what you mean by 'relatively inexpensive' also becomes debateable. For a 'huge' difference in Sound Quality and modern Functionality, then I think spending perhaps $1000-1500 on a full aftermarket and high quality setup is inexpensive. In the mid to late 90's to get similar performance would have typically cost 2-4 times as much.

If you look through this and other forums, car audio forums, you'll see what other E39 owners have done and you can evaluate what you'd like given your requirements and anticipated budget.

If you provide more of what you'd like ideally here, I'm sure others and myself can help you more.

Cheers, Dennis!

Thank you sir!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    I have non-DSP. Can i get decent sound without changing head unit and amp?
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Frank,

If you wish to keep those OEM modules, then the BSW speaker upgrade kit is the only choice for you which is simple, quick and easy to swap to. Cost is $397 currently from their site. SQ increase is marked but still marginal overall.

You can keep the same modules if you wish, and then send all the outputs from the OEM amp to a Sound Processor which will cleverly remove the factory set equalization curve, giving a more acoustically flat signal, boost the output voltage and also always output a clean non distorted signal no matter how hard you push that feeble oem amp. That 'clean' signal you then connect to perhaps a 5 channel amplifier and then upgraded speakers of your choice and perhaps a subwoofer. This upgrade path will give you a 'huge' improvement in sound quality. Costs I'd estimate would be $1000 or more depending on which products you buy. You could potentially reduce that amount by purchasing 2nd hand equipment.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by Franktea View Post
    I have non-DSP. Can i get decent sound without changing head unit and amp?
    No.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Im looking for something i can buy used cheap, car not worth much,

THanks,
    Frank

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Franktea,

There's nothing that's 'cheap' that'll make a 'huge' difference to the overall sound you can get in the car.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Yeah I'll stay with stock.
    Thanks,