Thread: 07 650I shuts off while driving and sometimes does not crank and start

My Cars
    2007 650I

07 650I shuts off while driving and sometimes does not crank and start

Hello all, has anyone experienced this. 07 650i engine will shut off while driving at low or high speeds. Most times when this happens it takes a while for it to restart. Press brake, push start button and nothing. After locking, unlocking trying to start over and over, it will suddenly start and drive fine. There are no failure messages on dash and car drives fine. I have even gotten into car leaving home or store, press brake, push start button and nothing. Eventually after continuously trying to start, it will start as normal. I had the car checked and mechanic replaced several sensors that he said BMW recommended to be replaced when this issue occurs, but the problem still intermittently persist. I can drive the car for weeks with no issue, then bam, it will shut off or may not start. Any suggestions, would much appreciate it.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The ivm module can cause this behavior. First try another key

My Cars
    2007 650I
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    The ivm module can cause this behavior. First try another key
    Thanks for your reply, I have two keys, it will do it with either key. If I took it to the shop, do you know what type of code I may get if the ivm module was malfunctioning? I do know that the time I had it checked and mechanic replaced several sensors, he did say that the car had a bunch of codes, but he knew they could not be accurate, because the car would not run as well as it was running if some of the codes he was seeing was actual current malfunctions. He said he found a bulletin from BMW that suggested replacing certain sensors when those particular numerous codes where found, but car is running fine.

The car drives terrific, just may suddenly shut off with no warning, or may not start, then suddenly start. There is no pattern or timing that I can pick up on.

I am pretty mechanically inclined, are there any checks that can be done to determine if ivm is issue? Is the ivm difficult to replace as a diy? Any reprogramming needed if done as a diy?

Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    04 BMW 645ci
    The IVM is a plug and play item if IIRC, there are fuses that can be checked that sit on the underside of the IVM itself.

My Cars
    05 BMW 645CI
    I have a similar problem and I took it to the dealer and I am also replacing the IVM module. Fixed!