Thread: ugh... broke rad fan blade changing oil - what to do?

My Cars
    1986 325

ugh... broke rad fan blade changing oil - what to do?

Hey guys... Really irritated. I broke a blade off the rad fan while changing my oil today. Honestly, I can't replace it for at least a couple of weeks... Money and all that fun stuff.

Did some research, and know that the fan will be out of balance as is and further damage could be caused to the fan and/or radiator. What should I do? It's a 9 blade one.

Can I break a blade opposite of the already broken one to help with balance?

Should I just remove the fan for now? It's winter still in Ontario and I drive mostly highway.

Considering balance, durability, etc, I'm guessing any kind of repair would not work anyway?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    I'd just remove it and watch your temp gauge.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1986 325
    I was having trouble getting it off last night. I'm used to getting it off with the hood off when I do my timing belt. Will try again today.

I didn't notice and odd noises or issues though. It seemed to spin around fine at idle. If it keeps being stubborn, can I leave it for now? I'm hoping to get a replacement in the next week or two.
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I'd just cut off an opposite blade and avoid the higher revs for those 2 weeks. Friend of mine had half a blade missing on his M30 E34 and it ran fine.
    I'm not even near the same level of knowledge as Richard is though. That, plus the fan will have to come off in 2 weeks anyway so might as well get to it.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Duct tape a window fan to your radiator.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1986 325
    Still having issues getting the 32mm nut off... can I just take the 4 screws out of the fan and leave the clutch on?
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    The blades are trapped between the engine and the clutch if I remember it correctly, so I don't think so.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by estoguy View Post
    Still having issues getting the 32mm nut off... can I just take the 4 screws out of the fan and leave the clutch on?
    Yep. But you might have issues with getting the fan out with the radiator still in. But if you can do it this way, sure.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    1986 325
    Got it changed out the other day. I got really lucky at a more local bone yard and found not one but two E30s, which is rare indeed. One was a red vert, the other a later model white coupe. THey'd already been picked over pretty good, but the fans were there on both. The first one I found was the coupe, but I got 3 of 4 bolts, before the last stripped out. Found a better fan and a couple other spare items on the vert.

Couple of things to note... the bolts that mounted the fan to the clutch on the yard finds were on the radiator side of the fan, and were Allen head filister bolts. On my Eta, the bolts were 10 mm hex head and on the engine side. I also had to remount the fan after my first attempt - I'd attached it the same as my original was, and I'd just gotten the 32mm nut almost all the way on, and the fan blades were hitting the crank bolt. Once I mounted it the other way, no problems, and the fan actually has more clearance from the rad hoses now and the nut is easier to access.

Thanks for the input guys!
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss