Thread: Can Codes be read from ODBII on 98 Z3?

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster

Can Codes be read from ODBII on 98 Z3?

Hey Guys, I have a check engine light on my 98 Z3 and I cannot read it with 2 ODBII readers. I have seen the threads where there is a power issue and that was the cause of no connection, but I believe mine is supplying power because it does power one of my readers (It is a very cheap reader). my question is, can codes be read from that ODBii port in the cabin or only from the 20-pin under the hood? I do know the ODB port works for emissions testing because I always pass emissions... I am thinking of seeing if Autozone can read the code but I want to know if there is something wrong with the port or if early ODBii cant reveal codes.

Thanks

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yes. The car is standard J9141 compliant. Indeed, the original OBDii standard was lifted directly from BMW/VW K-line protocol, at least until Ford and GM got a bad case of not-invented-here ass-rash.

Make sure you have a cap on the 20 pin connector under the hood.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I had a similar problem. With an adaptor, a code reader would work with the port under the hood, but nothing could be read in the cabin. Make sure your fuses are good. I think they are 23, 31, and 45. Pull them out to check and use a meter for continuity just in case. Put them back in. Rebooting the computer in my car started the port in the cabin working again.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check that the round cap is threaded on on the other diagnostic plug it's located passenger rear engine compartment it's about the size of a hockey puck. If it is go to a shop and see if there tools read from the obd connector in the car. On the early car some techs only read from the round plug in the engine compartment when pulling faults

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Thanks guys... just checked fuses they are good. 20-pin cap is on. (noone has touched that in years btw). Pulled fuses that handle computer to have them restart... no luck. Called autozone, they do not have the 20-pin connector for their readers.... guess I have to pay for a mechanic to pull the code :\

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Good luck--I hope you get to the bottom of the problem. Had I not found a way to get a reader to work in the cabin, the car would not have passed inspection in New Jersey.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    '98 Z3 M Roadster
    a 20 pin adapter is like $10 on ebay.... Just get a US seller, be at your house in 4-7 days.
    Built S52 w/Dinan ISR-3 kit, NickG Stage 2+ Tune, Dinan Vortech V2 Supercharger, Dinan Air to Air Intercooler, Dinan CAI, Porsche 803 HFM, Buldogge 6" crank pulley, Griptec 2.90" blower pulley, Eurosport UD pulleys, Dinan 3.38 Diff, Dinan front/rear Swaybars, Dinan springs, Koni Yellow Sport Struts, Ground Control end links, South Bend Clutch Stage 3 Organic, AASCO Light Weight Flywheel 18.5#, Zionsville Radiator & Oil Cooler, Riot Racing BBTB, Schrick Intake Manifold, 42# Injectors, Schrick cams 264/256, Forged Wiseco pistons 9.0 comp., Forged Eagle rods, Supertech dual valve springs & valves, VAC crank & bearings, Supersprint mufflers, Euro Z3 midpipe, Raceland euro headers, Walbro 255, Bevauto ignition coils, Vortech Mondo bypass, Bailey Diverter DV30, Ireland Rear Subframe Bushings, Mason Engineering Strut Brace, Mason Engineering Clutch Petal, Apex 18" EC-7 Wheels, Full Custom Sound System, two trunk lids (with & without OE spoiler), Hardtop, Trunk full of AK's...

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbafett View Post
    a 20 pin adapter is like $10 on ebay.... Just get a US seller, be at your house in 4-7 days.
    Thanks, I will look for one. The issue is in Tennessee I have to have the emissions tested and if their scanner cannot connect, then I will fail. At this point, I think I have to figure out what it is wrong with the current port.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Interesting Development. Someone posted this whitepaper:
    http://www.beisansystems.com/misc/SE...ROL_SYSTEM.pdf
    On page 14 it says this:

"
    The E38 and Z3 will continue to use the 20 pin connector.
    The 16 pin OBD II connector has been in all
    BMWs since 1996 to comply with OBD II
    regulations requiring a standardized diagnostic
    port.
    Previously before 2001, only emissions relevant
    data could be extracted from the OBD II
    connector because it did not provide access to
    TXD (D-bus). The TXD line is connected to pin
    8 of the OBD II connector on vehicles without
    the 20 pin diagnostic connector."

I am starting to think that only emissions information will come out of that ODB2 port. I am going to buy a 20-pin and give it a shot.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    In this case, emissions = full OBDi implimentation as required in all post 96 passenger cars. Your generic reader should pull codes.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Hi guys, I have BMW Z3 Roadster 1998 convertible 2.8 L, Europe left side steering wheel, I obtained ELM 327 and tried to find the 16 pin socket inside the cabin but not found. i got a 20 pin adapter and connected to the ELM327 then connected to the OBD port under the bonnet, i used torque software through my android tablet, I got the ELM327 connected to ECU, but torque reads no Data at all.

I investigated the ELM327 compatibility to my car through searching many types on ebay and i found all ELM327 are not compatible to my car. if this is correct please any one can have an advise on which devise other than ELM 327 I can get to diagnose the car and read the error codes.

Many Thanks

My Cars
    -
    The OBD connector is in the passenger footwell behind a little door that says "OBD" on it.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Not on Euro market cars. The MS41.0 is not OBD2 compliant. No connector, no software, no protocol. No worky. You must use hardware and software that speaks BMW k-line.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Huthyfa View Post
    Hi guys, I have BMW Z3 Roadster 1998 convertible 2.8 L, Europe left side steering wheel, I obtained ELM 327 and tried to find the 16 pin socket inside the cabin but not found. i got a 20 pin adapter and connected to the ELM327 then connected to the OBD port under the bonnet, i used torque software through my android tablet, I got the ELM327 connected to ECU, but torque reads no Data at all.

I investigated the ELM327 compatibility to my car through searching many types on ebay and i found all ELM327 are not compatible to my car. if this is correct please any one can have an advise on which devise other than ELM 327 I can get to diagnose the car and read the error codes.
    FTDI FT232RL OBD2>USB cable with 20pin>OBD2 adapter cable from ebay works fine. There is no OBD2 port on European market cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FensterB View Post
    Thanks, I will look for one. The issue is in Tennessee I have to have the emissions tested and if their scanner cannot connect, then I will fail. At this point, I think I have to figure out what it is wrong with the current port.
    Buy the 20pin>OBD2 adapter and ask them to connect through adapter to 20pin, no?
    P.S. In my country emissions are being tested by putting sensor inside exhaust...
    Last edited by deni2s; 05-25-2018 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Buy the 20pin>OBD2 adapter and ask them to connect through adapter to 20pin, no?
    P.S. In my country emissions are being tested by putting sensor inside exhaust...
    They used to do that in New Jersey as well, but with properly equipped local garages able to do inspections as well as the Department of Motor Vehicles stations, this is a possible scenario: Owner A, friend of the owner of the local garage, determines that Owner A's car will not pass emissions. During the test, the inspector inserts the sensor into the exhaust of Owner B's car (a vehicle that will pass the test), which is positioned next to Owner A's car. The only way to pass emissions in NJ is now with the OBDII port.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 05-25-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    They used to do that in New Jersey as well, but with properly equipped local garages able to do inspections as well as the Department of Motor Vehicles stations, this is a possible scenario: Owner A, friend of the owner of the local garage, determines that Owner A's car will not pass emissions. During the test, the inspector inserts the sensor into the exhaust of Owner B's car (a vehicle that will pass the test), which is positioned next to Owner A's car. The only way to pass emissions in NJ is now with the OBDII port.
    No local garages can do inspections in Latvia, only government certified with cams everywhere and they are rotating people around - very strict.

Can you explain how emissions testing is being done through OBDII port? What they can read there? O2 sensor readings, which can be faked very easily or what?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by FensterB View Post
    Interesting Development. Someone posted this whitepaper:
    http://www.beisansystems.com/misc/SE...ROL_SYSTEM.pdf
    On page 14 it says this:

"
    The E38 and Z3 will continue to use the 20 pin connector.
    The 16 pin OBD II connector has been in all
    BMWs since 1996 to comply with OBD II
    regulations requiring a standardized diagnostic
    port.
    Previously before 2001, only emissions relevant
    data could be extracted from the OBD II
    connector because it did not provide access to
    TXD (D-bus). The TXD line is connected to pin
    8 of the OBD II connector on vehicles without
    the 20 pin diagnostic connector."

I am starting to think that only emissions information will come out of that ODB2 port. I am going to buy a 20-pin and give it a shot.
    I have a 2000 Z3M production date 9/1999, and I plug a Wi-Fi adaptor in the cabin ODBII cabin port and get tach, coolant temp, etc. I can read error codes as well.

Greg
    Tally Ho

http://wcwebs.net/johnson
    1988 O'Day 322 sailboat - (unlimited mpg)

2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster (25 mpg - but who cares)

2019 Subaru Outback
    (30+ MPG)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Can you explain how emissions testing is being done through OBDII port? What they can read there? O2 sensor readings, which can be faked very easily or what?
    I need to do some more research with a close friend who runs a shop--he's a lot more familiar with the system than I am. Here's a start:

"OBD II monitors misfires, converter efficiency, catalyst heater (if used), the evaporative system, air injection system (if used), fuel trim, oxygen sensors, exhaust gas recirculation (if used), secondary air system (if used), the coolant thermostat (starting in 2000), positive crankcase ventilation system (starting in 2002) and even the A/C systems on some 2002 and newer vehicles."

There are also readiness monitors that need to be set, telling the code reader that the computer has had time to test all the systems. I believe this is to prevent an owner from clearing codes just prior to the test. All but two readiness monitors must be set. If not, you have to do a drive cycle to let the code reader know the vehicle has been driven enough since the codes were cleared.

All information is tied to the VIN of the vehicle, which the code reader also can detect.

Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Thank You very Much

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8
    Many thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Many Thanks

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    I need to do some more research with a close friend who runs a shop--he's a lot more familiar with the system than I am. Here's a start:

"OBD II monitors misfires, converter efficiency, catalyst heater (if used), the evaporative system, air injection system (if used), fuel trim, oxygen sensors, exhaust gas recirculation (if used), secondary air system (if used), the coolant thermostat (starting in 2000), positive crankcase ventilation system (starting in 2002) and even the A/C systems on some 2002 and newer vehicles."

There are also readiness monitors that need to be set, telling the code reader that the computer has had time to test all the systems. I believe this is to prevent an owner from clearing codes just prior to the test. All but two readiness monitors must be set. If not, you have to do a drive cycle to let the code reader know the vehicle has been driven enough since the codes were cleared.

All information is tied to the VIN of the vehicle, which the code reader also can detect.

I am quite familiar what you can read from ECU/other blocks on Z3, just wondering what exactly is being read for emissions tests. DTCs? AFAIK there were dummy o2 sensors available on market to prevent ECU firing DTCs...

My Cars
    -
    From what I know, they check that there are no confirmed error codes (pending is ok in some states), and they check that all I/M monitors are set to READY. Depending on the age of the car, 1 or 2 monitors NOT READY are allowed. From what I have seen, US cars usually have more I/M monitors compared to EU cars.

Here is the official testing procedure for Texas: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Misc/faq/faq_obdii.htm
    Last edited by me77; 05-27-2018 at 09:23 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    I am quite familiar what you can read from ECU/other blocks on Z3, just wondering what exactly is being read for emissions tests. DTCs? AFAIK there were dummy o2 sensors available on market to prevent ECU firing DTCs...
    Varies slightly by state...

But where I am (and most places doing OBD2 checks) they plug it in to check for check engine lights and the state of the readiness monitors. Depending on year up to 2 readiness monitors can not be set and as long as you have no CEL, it will pass.

Tailpipe sniffers are done on cars 95 and older without provisions for OBD2. Emissions is fairly lax in most of the US. California is much stricter, they do visual inspections and more

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by me77 View Post
    From what I know, they check that there are no confirmed error codes (pending is ok in some states), and they check that all I/M monitors are set to READY. Depending on the age of the car, 1 or 2 monitors NOT READY are allowed. From what I have seen, US cars usually have more I/M monitors compared to EU cars.

Here is the official testing procedure for Texas: https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Misc/faq/faq_obdii.htm
    New Jersey is similar to Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Emissions is fairly lax in most of the US.
    It is true that emissions is fairly lax. Seventeen states do not have an emissions testing program.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES