Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: 2006 BMW X3 Tires

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

2006 BMW X3 Tires

I hope someone can offer some help. My mechanic found while changing my oil that one of my tires has sidewall damage that cannot be repaired. Now the kicker, since this car is AWD one must replace ALL four tires you can't replace one, two or three. These tires are only about a year or so old with a lot of tread life remaining (cost over $800.00 when I bought them) and I have to scrap 3 perfectly good tires because one is bad? My first thought is why would you buy an AWD car if this is true. Any thoughts please!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You need to measure the good tires thread depth I believe the used tire has to be 3-4/32nds of the new tire and if it is, put in the same model tire on

You can replace the front or rear set only if the tread is as you say.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Just to be sure I have this correct in my mind. I need to find two used tires that have thread depth that matches two of the good tires that are now on my car. And I need to replace in sets of two cannot just replace one.

Quote Originally Posted by a2743 View Post
    Just to be sure I have this correct in my mind. I need to find two used tires that have thread depth that matches two of the good tires that are now on my car. And I need to replace in sets of two cannot just replace one.
    No, you are replacing the one bad one already, so you will buy 1. New tire extra. You will then place these 2 New tires on either the front or back as a pair. Your year old tires you said were fine.
    Using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    I am sorry I guess I am a little dense. If I am reading the post correctly I need to buy two new tires and mount them on the front or back as a pair. However, from the first response to my post it sounds to me that the new tires having have more thread depth than the other two that would remain on the car and that difference in thread depth would cause a problem. In a nutshell, all four tires should have the same thread depth? Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by a2743 View Post
    I am sorry I guess I am a little dense. If I am reading the post correctly I need to buy two new tires and mount them on the front or back as a pair. However, from the first response to my post it sounds to me that the new tires having have more thread depth than the other two that would remain on the car and that difference in thread depth would cause a problem. In a nutshell, all four tires should have the same thread depth? Thanks for all your help.
    When I was taught in automotive school about replacing tires on a 4wd, they should be done in pairs, matching the existing tires. The pair is to be placed on the front or rear as opposed to left or right side.)
    If striving for perfection, you will constantly be replacing tires as fronts and rears wear at different rates. I'm sure you've been rotating front to rear every few K so maybe it's not an issue.
    Using Tapatalk