Folks--

At 170K miles, I finally replaced my Heater Core. Turns out it wasn't actually leaking, it was just the O-Rings; However, during this adventure, I had to remove the dashboard so I could access various vents, flaps, and linkages in the system. To do so, I removed the GM / LKM / EKM / Airbag / Steering Wheel / Instrument Cluster / Glove Box and every switch and button along the way..

Now-- As many of you know, you shouldn't start/run the car without the steering wheel/airbag present or risk tripping the SRS light.

HOWEVER--
In my case, after disconnecting the battery and letting the SRS system discharge, I ALSO disconnected ALL the connectors from the SRS system under the dash.
(I figured-- why would the SRS system throw a fit if it never even knew the car was powered/started---)

To test my heater core, I started up my car with all the aforementioned things missing, I only plugged in the IHKA controls and IHKA servo motors and temperature sensors, and reconnected a battery.
I started and ran the car for 20 minutes, checked for heater core leaks, exercised various flaps, etc. I got the flaps to a place I could work on the other flaps and pulled the battery again. (BTW-- It's really eerie inside a running car without any electronics/lights/chimes)

Today I reassembled the first half; enough to drive the car to the auto parts store to get some rear-view mirror adhesive. This included minimal dash board, instrument cluster, steering wheel, airbag, SRS modules, LKM/EKM/GM trio, and the IHKA controls sitting atop the mound of cables/connectors. Connected the battery and 4-ways came on (silly crash module); so I had to find my hazard switch and connect that too..

I started the car up, SRS light came on briefly like it should, and then NO SRS LIGHT! HOORAY!

TL;DR - If you have to connect your battery and start the car without the airbag present, disconnect all the SRS stuff TOO (after allowing enough time for the SRS to discharge; 15 mins?).
I'm not sure what would happen with the EMK and/or Instrument cluster connected, but in my case, they were also disconnected and out of the car at the time.