Thread: Basketcase 2007 750li - tons of error lights, can't go faster than 60mph, low voltage

My Cars
    2006 750li, 2009 328xi

Basketcase 2007 750li - tons of error lights, can't go faster than 60mph, low voltage

Hello everyone! I am pleased to have joined your forum.

Recently, I bought a basket-case 2006 750li with quite a few problems with it. The car actually drives fine excepting for the fact that it doesn't allow me to go faster than 60mph.

However, there are a ton of error lights and messages.

On the dashboard, the seatbelt ligt, check engine light, and 4x4 traction control lights are on (maybe more). The seatbelt light stays on even if I buckle up. However, the car doesn't yell at me to buckle up after I do so so the car actually knows that when the seatbelt is buckled despite the light being lit 100% of the time.
    The dashboard also says that the brake pads are too worn. I believe this message to be correct.
    The center console tells me that there is a "transmission fault" and that I should "drive moderately". The car will not let me drive faster than 60mph.
    Also it says something about R, P, 4, and 5 gears. I'll try to get you the exact text later.

An obd scan reveals:
    P1727 CAN message signal error / coast clutch inductive signature malfunction
    P0335 crankshaft position sensor "a" circuit
    P0598 thermostat heater control circuit low
    P2088 "a" camshaft position actuator control circuit low bank 1
    P2090 "b" camshaft position actuator control circuit low bank 2
    P0100 mass or volume air flow sensor a circuit
    P113B Mass or Volume Air Flow 1 Correction Signal Plausibility Too Long
    P0021 "a" camshart position - timing over advanced or system performance bank 2

The prior owner told me that it didn't have all these problems until he had the alternator, battery, and valve cover gaskets replaced. He told me the car needs to be reprogrammed or something and the mechanic told him that there is some sensor that it needs but he doesn't know which one.

In the back of the car I found the old battery still intact and the receipt for the repairs. The repairs occurred on Dec 6th. 6 of 8 spark plugs and spark plug well sleeves were also changed.

I tested the voltage on the current battery and it was only 12.06 while the car was off. The old battery still showed 12.56 volts which is a good voltage for a battery that has been in disuse for nearly 3 months.

Now this is a whole heck of a lot of problems which could keep my heading spinning for way too long. What do you guys think is the issue or issues with this vehicle?

The low battery voltage is extremely suspicious. I've had a Jaguar before that also threw a ton of electric related errors and it turned out to be the alternator. I would suspect the alternator except it's already been replaced before. However, it was probably a remanufactured part and I know from working as a computer tech that refurb parts have a high failure rate out-of-the-box.

My own plan to attack this problem is as follows:
    I believe I should check the voltage at alternator.
    Look for shorts and loose connections.

Since you guys are the BMW experts, I wanted to get your opinion on the issue. Have any of you seen issues like the ones I'm facing?
    Last edited by zephyrprime; 03-03-2017 at 04:49 PM.

My Cars
    2008 750Li
    I have the same exact issue and almost exactly the same codes. Did you ever figure out what the problem is? Your answer could save me a whole hell of a lot of time. Thank you very much.

My Cars
    r50, r80, e24, e28 v1500
    I am fighting a similar issue on my 05 745li and I can confirm that low voltage will cause many of those codes to appear. I'm not sure if yours has the "hidden " menu in the cluster but if it does it will give you system voltage as well as some other nifty things.

To access it on my car:
    Insert key fob, do not start car
    Press and hold trip reset button on binnacle until menu appears
    Short press same button repeatedly until it highlights "unlocking"
    Enter the sum of the last five digits of the VIN as the unlock code
    Press and hold the button again, menu may disappear just go back to step one and skip the unlocking this time.
    You can watch your voltage while you drive if you select "operating voltage" in the menu then start the car.

Hope this helps!