eBMWParts

Thread: strut noise question

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3

strut noise question

Hi all--- I am new to BMW so I am on the learning curve still. This is my first BMW and first independent suspension car I have had to work on.

It is a 200 Z3 2.3 convertible. Has 155k miles. Don't know any mechanical history- but I have started freshing up things.

Noticed that when I drive it through the bumpy areas of my yard I can hear a metallic clanking as the struts work over the washboard areas.
    More noticing it on the passenger side. Jacked up and removed wheels. Put a long wood 2x4 lever under the front hubs and compressed
    the spring/strut as high as I could- and then let go quickly to see the strut's reaction.

Drivers side regulates down in a controlled way and bottoms out quietly. The passenger side seems to extend in a little less well regulated
    way--- and when it gets to the bottom of its travel-- I hear a metallic contact noise--- a clunk type noise. The other side sounds more
    "padded" - not a metal on metal noise.

I think the rattle im hearing over washboard is the passenger side strut fully extending and making its clunk as it does so.

Don't know if these struts are original to car or not. I am wondering if the metallic clunk is signaling a failure mode of the strut ?-
    or is it just a rubber bumper or bump pad missing form inside it ?
    (I am going to try to see with a bright flashlight and inspect all the rubber bushings down there if I can get an assistant to manhandle the
    hub for me while I watch each bushing...)

Any information here will be greatly helpful to me. Have been working on cars all my life but New to BMW's. Lots of moving parts compared to solid or twin I-beam fords of yesteryear !

Thanks- Tim

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Lots of parts and possibilities, as you can see:https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...MW-Z3_25&mg=31

My Cars
    2000 2.3l z3
    got to be inside the strut or the pad may be disintegrated. Going to change struts and control arms, ect. Whats the point of a z3 if it doesn't steer and handle well :-)

My Cars
    Could be sway bar links as well. They are known for making knocking sounds when the suspension compresses and rebounds.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician