Thread: Bmw step

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323Is

Lightbulb Bmw step

I was wondering if anyone here went through the BMW STEP program and your view points on the program. I just graduated from UTI and was accepted into BMW STEP and am suppose to start in April. I was also offered a job at a BMW dealership without the STEP training. If I go into the program i will have to relocate and housing is really expensive. Or I could go straight into a dealership and work my way up that way. Which path do you think would be worth it? If I decide to not go into the program, how much longer would it take for me to advance my position to a Master Tech vs with the training. How would the pay differ? is the program actually worth it?
    Last edited by scaravello18; 03-02-2017 at 11:01 PM.

My Cars
    The way I see it, STEP is just a ticket to a job. If you've already been offered the job, then I would strongly consider skipping it. But there's a lot of factors to consider, like starting pay now versus after step. Is this the dealership you want to work at? Have you planned on staying in your current location? STEP will open up a few more doors, but most people have to relocate unless you're in a market where there are more than one local dealerships, or just get lucky. Is this a large or small dealer? I started at a smaller dealership, and I had all my classes to be Master Tech in 3 years.

I didn't do STEP. It wasn't even on my radar because I didn't go to UTI, or Wyotech. Just a local community college. I graduated top of my class with honors, and all my ASE certifications. Which don't mean much to BMW, but it was also a ticket to a job because it proved I knew what I was talking about. I got lucky, and the closest dealer to me was looking for tech's, and was in contact with my tech school. Being I was top of my class and about to graduate, I was the obvious recommendation and I had the job lined up as soon as I finished school.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician