Thread: Suspension feels loose

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Suspension feels loose

So my rear end is squeaking. It makes a squeaking when I enter and exit the vehicle. Obviously makes a noise when I push down on the car. It's located mainly on the driver side.

Also when driving the rear end feels loose. I don't know how else to describe it. It's kinda like a floating feeling. I've looked underneath the rear end and the bump stops are rotted, a lot of the bushings look old (but may just need some grease, and the spring pads do look decent (but obviously may be old).

After seeing the bump stops and hearing the squeak I'm thinking the entire suspension may need an overhaul. I was thinking of shocks/struts and new RTABS. I would like to go with something that could hold up to possible lowering springs in the future.

Now that I think about it, the condition of the bump stops and the squeaking may indicate that the entire car maybe sitting on the springs possibly and those may be worn.

I'm really looking to get opinions on this. I don't want to just throw parts at it and hope it fixes it. But the wife and I are trying to save up to purchase a house so I'm not wanting to spend an enormous amount.

Driving style is relaxed yet spirited. I've spend 4 years overseas in Germany so I'm still getting used to driving in the states again.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    It probably does need an overhaul. How many miles on the car? The OEM rear springs on the E85 are garbage, they like to rust and break, so it's a pretty good chance that you're sitting on a few busted coils. Good news is that suspension replacement on these cars is pretty simple, save for the PITA of removing the rear tray and bits for the soft top to get to the top of the rear shock mounts, if it's just the spring you can unbolt the shock, press down on the suspension arm and pop it out.

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The first order of business would be to get the vehicle on a lift, and perform a thorough inspection of the entire suspension(F+R),
    Take note of any broken, damaged, or well worn components. An entire suspension overhaul will be determined by what you find.
    I can give you recommendations based on my research into refreshing my own suspension, such as bushings, spring/shock combos, shock mounts.

My preferred parts list:

Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
    TCKline/Koni externally adjustable Shocks & Struts
    Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts
    Bimmerworld Rear Trailing Arm Bearing set
    Upgraded to BMW balljoint bushings to replace standard rear rubber bushings.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    The car has 115K miles and honestly everything looks stock.

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowthebattle View Post
    The car has 115K miles and honestly everything looks stock.
    So in other words, your shocks/dampers are going to be completely blown, one or both of your rear springs will be broken, and your control arms and CABs are gonna be junk.

http://www.tcklineracing.com/webdocs...Details134.cfm

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...t-Stage-I.html

Budget yourself about $1500 and a weekend. Car will feel like new.

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    The squeaking on exiting from the car from the back of the car is caused by the emergency brake. Test: exit with hand brake off... no squeak. Exit with hand brake on... squeaks. Push down on corner of car with hand brake on... squeaks. Push down on corner of car with hand brake off... no squeak.

Took me two years to realize where the damn squeak was coming from.....

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
    The squeaking on exiting from the car from the back of the car is caused by the emergency brake. Test: exit with hand brake off... no squeak. Exit with hand brake on... squeaks. Push down on corner of car with hand brake on... squeaks. Push down on corner of car with hand brake off... no squeak.

Took me two years to realize where the damn squeak was coming from.....
    So how does one fix this issue? I tested it and sure enough you're right. There is a noise still with the e-brake off like someone taking a guitar pic and rubbing i up and down on guitar strings.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Still living with it.... When I do the next brake job I'll look at the cause... Likely in 3 years time.

To fix it you are going to have to dismantle down to the emergency brake.... hence my leaving it....