RM European Auto Parts
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E36 P0340 Code After Cam Sensor Replaced

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Got it fixed!

After a BUNCH of reading and thinking, I narrowed this down to it 100% having to be the DME, wire harness, or sensor.

I put my extra DME in my daughters car instead of risking putting hers in mine. After the install, her car did show fault codes, but nothing related to a cam sensor (probably different coding for a 5 vs. 3). So that eliminated a bad DME. Next was wiring, or the sensor and the sensor is easier than the wiring. So,...... I pulled the sensor from my daughters car, installed it in mine, problem solved! I can't believe it. I mean Ive read of people getting a bad brand new part, but its never happened to me and I got two faulty parts in a row!

Good lesson learned here.....

Thanks everyone again for your time and help! Its so nice driving this car now with no lights on
    ​~Mike

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    And that is why all new parts come with a warranty!

While I don't see too many branded parts go bad, I have seen lots of generic stuff hit the bricks pretty quick.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    And I bet that the sensor from your daughters car(that provided the fix) is an OE BMW GENUINE PART, not an aftermarket, correct?

Just to remind you of an earlier post-
    It's a Meyle brand which is the second one I've tried. The first one was different brand from the same import store.
    Which is why I always stress Genuine OE BMW replacement parts-for any and all sensor replacement in any BMW. Prevents any electronic anomalies.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Has Seimens written on it. The original one pulled from the e36 had BMW on it.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Siemens is OEM.

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Ya that's what I figured.

so glad it's over. I've been driving it around town running errands and the fuel mileage has gone from 16 to almost 24 and that's all city. I'm happy
    Last edited by HeliHover; 03-22-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    there's also a possible difference OE to OEM - i've run into this once or twice where the OEM sensor didn't act quite right, but an OE sensor did. Again, no idea why....

just so all of us stay on the same sheet of music....
    OE - original equipment
    OEM - original equipment manufacturer
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Possibly due to different quality control standards.

Understood. I also made a correction to how it was used in my post, above. Clarification is important.

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    I just exchanged the sensor for another faulty one......

The guys at the parts store think I'm crazy. They told me to come get my money back and that they are not doing anymore exchanges with me. After explaining again what Ive been going through, I got them to try one more time. They are ordering a VDO brand which he said will be more expensive. I'll have it in a few hours. I guess if this one doesn't work, Ill be going to BMW of Portland tomorrow after work

I am absolutely astonished that I have received 3 faulty parts in a row.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    anymore, i just go to the BMW dealer and use my BMW CCA discount. or, i just order from bmw of lincoln or FCP Euro - best pricing on BMW OE parts anywhere.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Installed the VDO and were good. This one was identical to the original, except the bmw was ground off. I also paid over double what the first ones cost. I called the parts store back to let them know I wasn't losing my mind and they explained that they will do some investigating and possibly discontinue the sales of the brand, which is FAE. The second one they gave me was a Myhle however, and that didn't work either.

I'm glad this task is over. I always look at the good side of things..... I can now change an intake cam sensor in under 2 mins
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Now the question is if the original DME was in fact bad, like in my case. The car I was working on was driven like that for a long time.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    I have the original DME back in the car. I'm getting the occasional check coolant on the OBC after a longer drive, but I think that could be related to the sensor. The coolant is never low. I'll replace that sensor soon to see if that is the problem.

Abel if you have any use for the extra DME, let me know and I'll send it your way. I have no use for it. Kind of wish I had an extra one for my Z.... I want a tune for that car now, see if I can extract anymore now that my exhaust is complete...
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Mike, I'm very glad that your issue seems to be solved.

I don't want to put a jinx on anything, but there seem to be several discrepancies in all your testing that contradict this being "JUST" a cam sensor, even if we allow for 3 bad ones in a row....and especially a bad Siemens new part. By the way, how did you fix the toasted wiring you pictured? Wasn't that on the DME side of the cam sensor plug?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that this is over....even though, if that's true, I now can't ever trust a brand new VDO / Siemens sensor again? Crap!

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Mike, I'm very glad that your issue seems to be solved.

I don't want to put a jinx on anything, but there seem to be several discrepancies in all your testing that contradict this being "JUST" a cam sensor, even if we allow for 3 bad ones in a row....and especially a bad Siemens new part. By the way, how did you fix the toasted wiring you pictured? Wasn't that on the DME side of the cam sensor plug?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that this is over....even though, if that's true, I now can't ever trust a brand new VDO / Siemens sensor again? Crap!
    No the Siemens/VDO was the last of the 3 which works! The others that didn't work were Meyle and FAE.

The new Seimens cam sensor is on my daughters car (because I'm lazy no not really), and the old one off her car is on my e36. The bare wires shown in the posted pic are from the old original cam sensor off the e36, the bad one. The wiring harness seems to be fine. Been driving it everyday since the fix.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Exactly, as I always stress on these forums, replace only with OE Genuine BMW replacement parts, or OEM at the very least, for ALL BMW sensors.
    It absolutely eliminates wasted diagnostic time, spent chasing electrical gremlins and electronic anomalies.
    Just to clarify, and use this as an example for other Newb forum members, Both the old and new OEM Siemens sensors work, the aftermarket replacement Meyle,FAE do not, causing needless chasing of our diagnostic tails!!
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 03-27-2017 at 08:56 AM.

My Cars
    E36-E367-E39-E53
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Exactly, as I always stress on these forums, replace only with OE Genuine BMW replacement parts, or OEM at the very least, for ALL BMW sensors.
    It absolutely eliminates wasted diagnostic time, spent chasing electrical gremlins and electronic anomalies.
    Just to clarify, and use this as an example for other Newb forum members, Both the old and new OEM Siemens sensors work, the aftermarket replacement Meyle,FAE do not, causing needless chasing of our diagnostic tails!!
    Yes exactly. The time I spent pulling cam sensors, driving to the parts store, and typing here, I could of purchased two OEM sensors.....

I did however use an aftermarket cam sensor on my Z about 2 years ago..... hmmm
    Last edited by HeliHover; 03-27-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    ​~Mike

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan
    Ok, I though I might post here instead of starting my own thread, as I am hoping the guru's who replied here may have some insight.

98 M3 sedan, all original with 194K miles
    I replaced the CPS with a VDO sensor when I got the P0340 code, but after 2 weeks of daily driving, the code came back.
    Here is the run down, I really need some help. I am an experienced car tinkerer, but this one is stumping me...

- P0340 code only, nothing else ever
    - VDO Cam position sensor put in, worked great for 2 weeks
    - After 2 weeks, code went on an off a few times, but now comes on soon after cleared
    - Sometimes it ran with decreased HP, sometimes not. But it was not a light switch, maybe like fading power output
    - I can clear the code and power is also back, but after a day or 2, the CEL is back on
    - Old (BMW OEM) sensor had bare wires under the boot
    - wiring looks great and has perfect 0 resistance to the DME, including ground
    - Connections and installation are good, again, I have some experience, but not a professional

I have not check voltage to it, probably worth checking...
    The sensor is VDO, doesn't say Siemens anywhere on box or sensor. But VDO=Siemens right?

Any other insight???
    Last edited by dallasbrandt; 06-28-2017 at 12:12 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    I am having the exact same problem as the owner of this thread, with identical symptoms. I replaced the sensor with a VDO unit but not in a BMW packaging. The problem remains.
    I just ordered a Genuine BMW sensor from FCP. I will post feedback with the results.
    Last edited by Jakub902; 10-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Great, keep us posted.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakub902 View Post
    I am having the exact same problem as the owner of this thread, with identical symptoms. I replaced the sensor with a VDO unit but not in a BMW packaging. The problem remains.
    I just ordered a Genuine BMW sensor from FCP. I will post feedback with the results.
    So to my own disbelief, the genuine BMW siemens brand did the trick. I put about 100 miles and its all good. The VDO sensor was no good.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    The VDO was probably a cheap Chinese counterfeit part,
    which makes your source for parts as important as the brand.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Box said made in Brazil. I got it from eEuroparts

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Strange, but possible due to no manufacturer having a 0.0% defect rate.
    I always assumed Mexico as a manufacturing point, not Brazil,Thanks for the info!
    Btw, FCP has become my primary online parts source for most repairs.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    sounds like I'm in the same boat, Still getting 340 code after new sensor put in,crank and cam, car wouldn't start twice in last month, cranks fine,but only starts after some waiting, cheapo cam sensor going back to Autozone tomorrow, $85, coulda got it for $10,apparently they aren't even worth that.I'll try Pelican for an original.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast