Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HPDE Brake Pads

My Cars
    99 M3

HPDE Brake Pads

I know there is alot of information on this but most of what I find is quite dated.

I have a E36 M3 that I have started taking to HPDEs. I have Hawk HPS pads currently and need to upgrade to a more suitable track day pad.

I don't mind NVH and the car rarely gets driven on the street.

What are you guys using these days?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I use Porterfield R4. Work great on the track but a bit noisy on the street.

My Cars
    99 M3
    interesting.. Never heard of them.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifton23 View Post
    I know there is alot of information on this but most of what I find is quite dated.

I have a E36 M3 that I have started taking to HPDEs. I have Hawk HPS pads currently and need to upgrade to a more suitable track day pad.

I don't mind NVH and the car rarely gets driven on the street.

What are you guys using these days?
    PFC08! I have a near new set I will sell you at a discount, PM me if your interested.... NEVER FADE and last a long time. Only downside is their cost.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Pm'd I have read up on PFC. A friend has them on his C6 Z06 and likes them.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    PFC08s are the go to for a lot of people. I'll get around 15 HPDE days out of them (advanced/instructor).
    They'll leave dust, and if your wheels get wet AND you let them sit for a while without cleaning them, they can be hard on the finish. But that's true with most track/race pads.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 03-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Damn 15 days is GOOD!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I'd have to double check my records so that might be a little optimistic, but I probably run at ~90% most of the time, and am running larger Porsche sized pads.....and PFC08.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Email ApexPerformance.net if you want a good deal on PFC stuff. They rock.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    ^This.
    They have 10% off codes all the time. And usually free shipping on that stuff. BIMMERFORUM-10 worked for me last time I ordered.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    ^This.
    They have 10% off codes all the time. And usually free shipping on that stuff. BIMMERFORUM-10 worked for me last time I ordered.
    Rennlist-10 should work as well!

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    I suggest Hawk's HT10 as a do-it-all brake pad. Works with street tires, r compound, in the dry and in the wet. On the track and around town, while giving great stopping power hot and cold.

Lee
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    99 M3
    Thanks, this worked. I ordered PFC08 front and rear.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Give Danny Puskar at G-LOC Brakes (www.g-locbrakes.com). They work great and are easy on the rotors.

Feff

PS: Kansas State: 2016 Texas State Football Champions

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    I see that you've already ordered pads, but for anyone else reading, I also recommend Hawk HT-10s. Haven't tracked on them yet but they're great pads for around town, although they can be pretty noisy.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    I used EBC yellowstuff.. Probably not the best for on the "track side" of performance but worked the last couple of times.

My Cars
    99 M3
    what does everyone think of the Hawuk DTC-60/70 pads? I have been using them for a few years now with street tires and never had a complaint with them.

My Cars
    1988 Alpine White E30 M3

HPDE Brake Pads

I run them in my gts2 race car in NASA and love them. I have wilwood 6 Pistons in the front and run dtc-60 and have stock calipers in rear and run dtc-70. The bias feels good and is very close to stock. I am surprised you run such aggressive pads with just street tires. When I was just tracking my car with Direzza ZIIs, I found the hawks had too much bite and prefered PFCs at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
    2016 Cayman GT4
    1995 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow (NASA GTS2)
    1994 E36 325i (AER)
    1988 E30 M3 (Alpine White)

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by peapodf50 View Post
    what does everyone think of the Hawuk DTC-60/70 pads? I have been using them for a few years now with street tires and never had a complaint with them.
    DTC60s have been my go-to for a few years now. Mostly ran NT01s with them and liked 'em a lot. My only issue is that they wear kind of fast.

This year i'm giving PFC08s a shot. I expect a little less bite, they should last quite a bit longer.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I have had the PFC08s installed for a few days now. Only street driving so far and they seem great. Noise is not all that bad. Seems like the rears are the noisy ones.

I will try them on the track next weekend.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    DTC60s have been my go-to for a few years now. Mostly ran NT01s with them and liked 'em a lot. My only issue is that they wear kind of fast.

This year i'm giving PFC08s a shot. I expect a little less bite, they should last quite a bit longer.
    Report on the PFC08s after one track day, dry, 65F, NT01s, SRF fluid:

Braking torque was perfectly fine, seemed fairly similar to the DTC-60s. They felt very smooth on and off. Pedal feel was great, but it normally is with brand new pads.

However, i'm not so sure about their heat tolerance. Once per session (five times), I lost my brakes! In those cases, i had a firm pedal, but there was no or very little braking torque. In the worst case i blew a turn and went off track. Is this a known characteristic of the PFC08s? Maybe as an endurance pad they shouldn't be pushed so hard? DTC-60s never did this.

Each time it happened, I'd dial it back for a lap and the pads would be back to normal.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post

Report on the PFC08s after one track day, dry, 65F, NT01s, SRF fluid:

Braking torque was perfectly fine, seemed fairly similar to the DTC-60s. They felt very smooth on and off. Pedal feel was great, but it normally is with brand new pads.

However, i'm not so sure about their heat tolerance. Once per session (five times), I lost my brakes! In those cases, i had a firm pedal, but there was no or very little braking torque. In the worst case i blew a turn and went off track. Is this a known characteristic of the PFC08s? Maybe as an endurance pad they shouldn't be pushed so hard? DTC-60s never did this.

Each time it happened, I'd dial it back for a lap and the pads would be back to normal.
    Not in my experience. There has to be something going on IMO. Did you change anything else in the system? Never have felt fade and it is weird you would have brake pedal pressure without brake application. Running brass guide pins that need lubed? Can't really come up with any other reason excepting ice mode if you were activating ABS.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    The only changes from the past were replaced SS front lines, switch from type200 to SRF fluid, and DTC-60s to PFC08s. Calipers and their brass guide bushings were cleaned up and lubed, etc before the event. Brakes felt just as good at the end of the weekend as the beginning generally speaking.

The feeling was just like when pads are really cold and don't bite. (It was 45F and rainy on Sunday so i know this feeling well, too). You press, it's firm, but no bite. I'd back off for a few braking zones and they'd come right back.

I don't think i've experience ice mode, but from what i gather the brakes are totally gone when it happens. In these cases i'd say i had maybe 30% braking force. There is a good bit of ABS engagement on this bumpy ass track and I do sometimes get the stiff pedal kicking at me, but that's fairly normal.

I have only the factory "ducting". NHMS is tough on brakes, but I dunno.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I bought Hawk DTC60s from FCP. Unfortunately I didn't know they would ruin my DSIIs which was a big bummer but the upside is that FCP guarantees them for life and will replace them endlessly as long as you own the car. Literally only have to buy track pads once. Now if only they carried PFC ..

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    I bought Hawk DTC60s from FCP. Unfortunately I didn't know they would ruin my DSIIs which was a big bummer but the upside is that FCP guarantees them for life and will replace them endlessly as long as you own the car. Literally only have to buy track pads once. Now if only they carried PFC ..
    What?? GDP guarantees your pads for life? Can you elaborate???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast