Thread: New tires: Continental EXTREME CONTACT SPORT ... report and question

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

New tires: Continental EXTREME CONTACT SPORT ... report and question

These are the new Continental 2017 model, 275-40-17 rear (I'll replace the 245s on the front soon. One reason for this conversation is to decide whether to use the same tire). I bought my 1998 Z3M with worn out BF Goodrich tires. The BFG's were rock-solid, but much too easy to turn over, Scary in the rain. These Conti's have got great grip! The difference makes the whole car drive differently. I'm still feeling my way into them. An added bonus: they are far far more quiet, and give a bit smoother ride. I can't say how much the differences are due to the model, and how much is just due to them being new. Here is my question: although the grip is much better, there seems to be some movement to setup when going into a turn. I've even rocked the steering wheel to emphasize it, and it feels like the rear is flopping around a little before settling in to grip the road. I know the testers love these tires, but it feels strange to me. I'm guessing it's just the new tread. The old treadless tires seemed much quicker to setup. tire pressure is the same: 37 cold. It's been many years since I went from no tread to new tread tires, and never on a car that handles like this one, so I'd like some others' experience and opinions: is the about new tread? the different brands/models? anything else?

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Roadster
    I'm considering these tires too. This or Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
    2001 BMW M Roadster - Steel Gray over Imola Red/Black (1 of 8), Eisenmann sport exhaust, KW V3 coilovers, Strong Strut engine brace, Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement, GSR Technik tune, 3.64 Torsen LSD...Weekend toy!
    ">

My Cars
    2000 Z3 m coupe
    Take a look at the very new Michelin 4S....highly rated for grip and wear.

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M Coupe
    Just got these tires on 2 weeks ago. Have no complaints at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    I haven't tried the new Sport tires yet, but when I switched to the Conti Extreme Contact DW tires from the old Dunlops I also thought they felt loose at initial turn-in. After a while I stopped noticing it. I got over 26K from the first set of rears, the fronts are beginning to get a little thin at 34K. When I wear out the fronts I'll almost certainly switch to the Sports.

From what I've read, the Sports are supposed to be stiffer than the DW; I hope they didn't mess up the ride to accomplish that.

Marty

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    Interesting review. I was looking at the same tire. But when I seen the price and reviews on the Sumitomo HTR Z III I had to try them out.
    Last edited by fallguy; 02-28-2017 at 12:39 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I think the ride with the Sports is very good. Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    '16 528i, '00 M-Coupe
    Are you running the 275s on the stock Roadstars? Can you post up some photos if so?? Thanks!!
    -Scott
    Current BMWs: 2000 M-Coupe, 2016 528i
    M-Coupe Build and Maintenance Log
    Past BMWs:
    2014 X1 sDrive28i, 2000 740iL, 2002 325i, 1999 M-Coupe, 2000 323Ci, 1979 323i, 1983 320i

My Cars
    z3
    245/275 seems like a lot of tire. My z3 with an s54 never struggles for grip here in AZ even on the stock width 2.8 tires. I wouldnt put tires that wide on an s52 z3m personally.

Regarding the weird feeling you describe, my friend had a similar feeling on his z3 and it ended up being the tires. Very loose sidewalls made the car feel a little squirrelly especially over bumps on long sweeping turns... Very pronounced when driving at speed over expansion joints when on highway overpasses.

I doubt your issue is the tires though. Check bushings and go from there. Or find some time to bring it by my place and I can poke around.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Tires with soft sidewalls will roll a little with lateral force applied and going from a stiff walled tire to a soft one will heighten your awareness of it. The trade off of course is a more compliant ride on the street.

I just put on a set of Michelin PS A/S 3. Very happy with them so far. I've had the PSS and P Zero Neros on my other car and while I consider those a couple of the best sport passenger car tires, the A/S on the M Roadster fits my year 'round driving environment very well. A lot of grip in cold and wet while still allowing for controlled throttle steer when I want it. I'll see what they behave like in the heat come June.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    First of all, you have very mis matches tires front to rear which will give an uneasy feeling under spirited driving. Secondly, you never stated how many miles you have put on these tires. Believe it or not, there is a break in period for tires, usually about 100 miles, in which the tires will feel more "squishy" than normal. There is no way to accurately review tires with two brand new and two really worn out ones.

Hopefully they will have the sizes I need when I finish my wheel build as these are the tires I want. I already have a set on order for my Cadillac CTS coupe.
    Last edited by Wertles; 02-28-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    z3m2.JPGz3m5.JPG.......Yes, it seems like a lot of tire. My 2.8 Z3 with 225/255-18 tires never has a grip problem either. The M came to me with those sizes, and I've always thought more is better. I've not had any traction issues with the 245 front tires. No understeer at all, and I've added the poly swar bar bushings. The lack of traction with the rear 275 BFGs seems mainly due to poor tread, although they were not bald. I've nailed it a couple of times coming out of a corner with the new tires, and no traction problems. It flopped around like a fish out of water with the BFGs. There's no issue with it being "squirrelly". Even over bumps on a turn, it seems solid. It's just that little give going in to a turn that I noticed. I'll check it out more of course. .... I agree there are probably bushing issues. I started to say that is not relevant because all I did was switch tires, but on second thought, different tires could accentuate bushing problems. Bushings are on my list, but I had to get rear tires asap. thanks for your input....
    ... and I appreciate the "100 mile" break in comment. I'm not there yet.
    ... Sorry for the shadows in the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zellamay; 02-28-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: add pictures

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    The squishy feeling would be because you are mismatched front/rear. Makes everything feel very weird. Match the fronts and you'll be good to go.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    You know, I wondered about that. We'll probably see if you're right, since I'm planning on the same tires for the front (245s, to keep that ratio).

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Follow up on my feeling a "movement to setup" with the new tires. BB was right, it was the bushings. I guess the better grip of the new tires amplified it; the old tires slid so easily that there was less stress on the bushings. I just put in IE subframe bushings and that loose feeling is gone. Also, it seems that the back end follows the front end more through tight turns. It's nice. Soon I'll see if others are also right about mismatched tires causing some looseness: I'm going to get the same tires, 245 width, in the front.
    Last edited by zellamay; 04-27-2017 at 01:48 AM.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I love them.The other Bimmer I have loves them too!..But,M ZCoupe liked em' to much.Grt for burnouts/donuts in the local stripmall..wheeee!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Front tire follow up: I couldn't get 245's on the front. Tire recommendations won't allow them on a 7-1/2" wheel, so I bought 235-45-17 Continental contact Sport. There is almost no grip change from the old tires, 245-40-17 BFGs, or in the way the car handles. It might handle a little better, or it might be wishful thinking. I'm surprised because the new rear tires made such a huge difference.