Thread: No reverse fix, still shifts rough

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi

Unhappy No reverse fix, still shifts rough

2007 BMW 328xi, automatic, 107k mi

Bought the car 11 months ago and drove fine. 5 months later it started shifting rough but I ignored it. About a month later I lost reverse. I paid $2,800 to have my transmission "rebuilt". I got the car back after 5 days and was under the impression that I would have a like new transmission. Wrong. The reverse was back but it still shifted like crap. It shifts and downshifts so rough that it makes my whole body jerk. I'm so annoyed because I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. I had an e46 with a ZF that lost reverse but I thought an e90 with a GM transmission wouldn't have that problem. Boy was I wrong.

What could be causing it to shift so rough? Maybe low on transmission fluid? Maybe they missed a step? Reprogramming?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by bimmergrl2108; 02-27-2017 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmergrl2108 View Post
    2007 BMW 328xi, automatic, 107k mi

Bought the car 11 months ago and drove fine. 5 months later it started shifting rough but I ignored it. About a month later I lost reverse. I paid $2,800 to have my transmission "rebuilt". I got the car back after 5 days and was under the impression that I would have a like new transmission. Wrong. The reverse was back but it still shifted like crap. It shifts and downshifts so rough that it makes my whole body jerk. I'm so annoyed because I thought I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. I had an e46 with a ZF that lost reverse but I thought an e90 with a GM transmission wouldn't have that problem. Boy was I wrong.

What could be causing it to shift so rough? Maybe low on transmission fluid? Maybe they missed a step? Reprogramming?

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
    The e46 era cars would lose reverse because of a valve body problem. The little pressure control valve would stick, allowing a pressure spike that would crack one of the drums inside the transmission. Most rebuilds failed to address the root cause, the valve body. The e90 uses a totally different transmission from a different manufacturer though.
    Rough shifting is definitely a cause for concern. It's difficult to say exactly why it is shifting hard without knowing everything that the shop did. Low fluid is a possibility; once the torque converter and everything else filled up, it's possible that the fluid is low. Any time the fluid is changed or a rebuild is done, the adaptations should really be cleared. Most shops don't have a tool capable of doing this. I could give you software capable of resetting the adaptations, you would just need a $20 K+DCAN cable. I think I would start by clearing the adaptations. If that doesn't fix it, the shop should warranty their work. Either something wasn't put back together correctly, or they failed to replace everything they should have. Do you have any warning lights on?

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Is there no warranty for the work you had performed? I would be over at their place asking how to correct this....
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
    I would start by clearing the adaptations.
    Definitely. ANYTIME any major work is done the relevant adaptations need to be reset. Betting the shop didn't do this. Particularly if they are not a high tech shop.