Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M42 Fan Removal... Tried Almost Everything

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Wel, the tools arrived. Not much to my surprise, they don't work. The holder can't grab both bolts at the same time due to the off angle you have to hold it at. The inlet for the thermostat is in the way. And ironically, I can't remove the thermostat because the tool isn't working. Fantastic.

You can see it is at just enough of an angle to where it can't grab. Maybe if I narrowed the tool with a grinder it would fit in that space, but I'm concerned about strength once it's thinned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Well I'll be damned. Came at it from the opposite side (disconnected the upper rad hose) and the fan was off. Pinched my finger between the wrenches pretty bad but I'm a happy man. Lesson learned: specialty tools exist for a reason. I could have had this fan off 4 weeks ago lol

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    Congrats on non-destructive fan clutch removal. Right tool for the job takes a lot of drama out of the equation. I've had success on a variety of BMWs with a large screwdriver between the fan bolts, a 32mm bicycle crank wrench set at 1:00 looking from front of car, and a leather mallet to give a sharp blow clockwise on the wrench.

The dedicated wrench set looks much simpler and less prone to collateral damage (other than pinching fingers). Its always nice to save a buck and use what's at hand but strange to be cheap about a $20 tool.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by jmenacker View Post
    Congrats on non-destructive fan clutch removal. Right tool for the job takes a lot of drama out of the equation. I've had success on a variety of BMWs with a large screwdriver between the fan bolts, a 32mm bicycle crank wrench set at 1:00 looking from front of car, and a leather mallet to give a sharp blow clockwise on the wrench.

The dedicated wrench set looks much simpler and less prone to collateral damage (other than pinching fingers). Its always nice to save a buck and use what's at hand but strange to be cheap about a $20 tool.

Joe M in WV
    It wasn't so much the cost as it was the time it took for it to arrive. I didn't anticipate the job taking so long. Then we got pretty bad snow in PA and figured it was useless to try to get it delivered. Thanks though, now it's time to try to get the thermostat housing out

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I'm glad you got it taken care of.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12