Thread: 60k carbon buildup

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i

60k carbon buildup

Hey everyone, I have a 2008 335i with 56k miles. I'm planning on getting a JB4 soon but I want to make sure my car is perfect before I do so I'm not chasing misfires or limp modes as soon as a increase the boost. I was originally planning on getting a walnut blast first but for that money I can just get the JB4. So my question is, how bad is the carbon buildup typically at 60k? Is it bad enough to merit a walnut blast or should I wait on the walnut blast? I'm afraid of dropping 600 dollars only to find out my car doesn't feel anymore responsive and that I could have waited on the walnut blast. Have any of you had a walnut blast at around 60k? How bad was the buildup? Did the walnut blast make a difference?

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by AsifLicious View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a 2008 335i with 56k miles. I'm planning on getting a JB4 soon but I want to make sure my car is perfect before I do so I'm not chasing misfires or limp modes as soon as a increase the boost. I was originally planning on getting a walnut blast first but for that money I can just get the JB4. So my question is, how bad is the carbon buildup typically at 60k? Is it bad enough to merit a walnut blast or should I wait on the walnut blast? I'm afraid of dropping 600 dollars only to find out my car doesn't feel anymore responsive and that I could have waited on the walnut blast. Have any of you had a walnut blast at around 60k? How bad was the buildup? Did the walnut blast make a difference?
    I have no experience but I was also looking for similar answers.
    I got a 335i with 76k miles. I talked to my dealer about this and they suggested not to do this unless it's required or you are getting some symptoms. I even went to an independent shop and they were like- if you are not getting any hesitation issue or limp mode or sluggish response, don't do it. It's not cost effective to be a preventative measure.
    I always use premium shell gas and change engine oil at 10k. At every 3k miles chevron cleaners etc.
    Car pulls hard-last week I even went above 120 mph and was so stable.
    I even get 28 mpg on freeways for trips above 300 miles and combines 21 mpg ( city + freeways).
    Considering all these i dropped the idea of valve cleaning.
    Rather i will save some money and upgrade my exhaust may be. I have already bmw performance kit installed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    At 56,000 miles you will absolutely need the walnut blast service. Your initial logic is correct to carry out services first, then do your mods. Even before 60,000 miles the carbon build up gets quite bad.

I am sure if you search you may find other BMW shops that are doing this walnut blasting for a little less money, if cost is an issue. Ensure that you do regular maintenance before you go turning up the boost such has Oil Changes every 7,000-10,000 KM, Spark Plugs and air filter.

If you skimp on the maintenance it may cost you more in the long run such has the following N54 issues: burned valve, failed turbo(s), spun bottom end bearings and oil leaks to name a few (especially 2007 to early 2009 model year engines).

Mark.

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    I am quite surprised that a dealer would say this, and has for the Independent Shop I would reckon that they just don't want to do it or have never done it. Shell gas chevron cleaners etc will not clean the carbon on the back of the intake valves on a Direct Injection motor (no injector spraying on the back of the valves) it just wont happen.

Don't discount the carbon build up issue just because you do not have any issues, it can become a problem if you leave it.

The following pictures are from an N54 at 25,000 Miles Before and after cleaning.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Iftekar View Post
    I have no experience but I was also looking for similar answers.
    I got a 335i with 76k miles. I talked to my dealer about this and they suggested not to do this unless it's required or you are getting some symptoms. I even went to an independent shop and they were like- if you are not getting any hesitation issue or limp mode or sluggish response, don't do it. It's not cost effective to be a preventative measure.
    I always use premium shell gas and change engine oil at 10k. At every 3k miles chevron cleaners etc.
    Car pulls hard-last week I even went above 120 mph and was so stable.
    I even get 28 mpg on freeways for trips above 300 miles and combines 21 mpg ( city + freeways).
    Considering all these i dropped the idea of valve cleaning.
    Rather i will save some money and upgrade my exhaust may be. I have already bmw performance kit installed.

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2010 E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by mandd View Post
    At 56,000 miles you will absolutely need the walnut blast service. Your initial logic is correct to carry out services first, then do your mods. Even before 60,000 miles the carbon build up gets quite bad.

I am sure if you search you may find other BMW shops that are doing this walnut blasting for a little less money, if cost is an issue. Ensure that you do regular maintenance before you go turning up the boost such has Oil Changes every 7,000-10,000 KM, Spark Plugs and air filter.

If you skimp on the maintenance it may cost you more in the long run such has the following N54 issues: burned valve, failed turbo(s), spun bottom end bearings and oil leaks to name a few (especially 2007 to early 2009 model year engines).

Mark.
    Thank you for your detailed response! Yes, I am very meticulous when it comes to maintenance of my cars. I will take your advice and go ahead and get the walnut blast

My Cars
    2008 E61 535xi Touring
    This is the same thinking I used, maintenance-wise. I knew I was going to mod quickly after purchase, but with 134k on a new-to-me vehicle, I wanted to ensure I clean-slated as much as I could to avoid having to troubleshoot multiple problems post-mod. I cleaned VANOS, walnut blasted, changed plugs and coils, cleaned intake, charge pipe, intercooler, and verified no vacuum leaks prior to loading my MHD tune (which I highly recommend for ease of use and affordability). Once I loaded the tune and verified no problems, then I did the BMS DCI, and am installing a Mishimoto intercooler soon. Zero problems, great performance, and I drive assured I've decreased my odds of having problems.

One thing I don't recommend is making too many changes all at once. If you do develop problems it then likely becomes much more difficult to determine where exactly the issue lies.

BTW, you can source everything you'd need for a walnut blast thru Harbor Freight and this guy's site below for all of $200, maybe $250 total after intake and throttle body gaskets:
    http://www.bimmerhelp.info/DIY_N54_Valve_Blast.html
    PM me and I can run you thru the whole thing.
    No way to tell if the walnut blasting is necessary or not for the tune. May run well enough now, but throw a tune on it and suddenly it won't run as well with increased airflow demands. Lot of variables determine whether or not carbon deposits end up on your intake valves, but chances are if never done at that mileage, you need it done. If you have no idea if it's ever been done, do it for Piece of Mind (Iron Maiden reference) no matter what. I did. Glad too, they looked like crap.
    Last edited by MysticRob; 02-27-2017 at 02:02 AM.

My Cars
    2008 E61 535xi Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by mandd View Post
    I am quite surprised that a dealer would say this, and has for the Independent Shop I would reckon that they just don't want to do it or have never done it. Shell gas chevron cleaners etc will not clean the carbon on the back of the intake valves on a Direct Injection motor (no injector spraying on the back of the valves) it just wont happen.

Don't discount the carbon build up issue just because you do not have any issues, it can become a problem if you leave it.

The following pictures are from an N54 at 25,000 Miles Before and after cleaning.

Mark
    Agreed. Cleaners may work for the gas tank, lines, injectors, and piston tops, but those intake valves never even smell the gas, let alone shower in it to get clean because of the direct injection.
    OP's on the right track thinking about getting things in order before he mods. If you're not modded and you're not gunked up enough to experience problems, then you very likely will be after the mods.
    Last edited by MysticRob; 02-27-2017 at 09:14 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    So most of you are saying this should be a part of maintenance process irrespective of any symptoms ? Or is it mandatory only if you are planning some mods.
    Even I am inclined to do so but the cost is not that small that I can just go to a dealer and get it done. Recently I visited a dealership and asked them to do it under warranty but they said they can only do that if there's any problem.
    Well, after all your inputs i guess I will look for some genuine shops that does this with reasonable cost.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    I'm having my 60,000 mile 2008 335i done by a local independent. He's very reliable and great customer service.
    He quoted me $500 for the procedure.
    After doing some research he's not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.
    For me the car is primarily a Summer car as I store it for Winter up here in the great white north so this won't be a constant process for me.
    I'll only be putting on about 5,000 miles a summer.
    I bought the car because it's a convertible. Looking forward to some nice open top driving this Summer. (Just bought the car last October)
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    BMW 335i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    I'm having my 60,000 mile 2008 335i done by a local independent. He's very reliable and great customer service.
    He quoted me $500 for the procedure.
    After doing some research he's not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.
    For me the car is primarily a Summer car as I store it for Winter up here in the great white north so this won't be a constant process for me.
    I'll only be putting on about 5,000 miles a summer.
    I bought the car because it's a convertible. Looking forward to some nice open top driving this Summer. (Just bought the car last October)
    That's a good deal. I stay in Plano(Texas) And everyone quoting me more than 1000 bucks.
    Mine is also 2011 335i convertible. I guess I will keep on searching for the best price.

My Cars
    2008 335i convertible,
    700.00 here in Louisiana quoted from an independent. For the record

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    If you investigate an owner that first crossed over 200K then 300K. He changed to high flash point oil and from I recall has not ever done walnut blast since 100-120K can't recall exactly. I think his turbos were replaced and coils but he ran a long time with no walnut blasting.
    I am running high flash point oil to see if it helps.
    I don't beat on my car so we will see if it helps at all....
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    if u are still looking, we found out a German company recently released a new product that replaces the walnut shell, and the positive about it u don't need to take the intake manifold off, process takes around 2 hours instead of 4-5 hours with walnut, I got mine from there local website:
    https://goautoprofi.com/products/car...nt=41550902412
    and it worked great and cleaned combustion chamber, valves & intake manifold as well product name carbon X from bluechem...