Thread: Is the Dinan "simple" boost chip worth it?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)

Is the Dinan "simple" boost chip worth it?

Hi guys.

I have a '13 528ix and am considering this:
    DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner

Has anyone installed one? It is apparently controlled by the iPhone via an ap. In the fiver the HP increase is about 19 in full race mode... I don't want to go too crazy with this car as I need reliability. The ti will be getting crazier (but still NA) in the future.

Anyway, looking for real world feedback. Maybe I'll save the $300 and put it into my ti.
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Waste of money, as with all Dinan products.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Do you have first hand experience with this module that you'd like to share? Why is this, like "all Dinan products" a waste of money? Can I get another module with similar function from another vendor for lower cost? Please enlighten me!

My Cars
    Cobb or JB4 for tuning. Don't waste money on Dinan.

My Cars
    '89 325is, '91 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Waste of money, as with all Dinan products.
    That's a pretty bold statement Stuck. I've heard mixed reviews about Dinan products. They do work well, but there are better upgrades out their for the price if you are willing to put in a little more work. Dinan makes it easy, and most of their packages are bolt on with no added work. That is what you pay for in my opinion. Several people throw shade at Dinan because they have become so popular in the BMW tuner light without actually testing their products. Sounds like this forum has a few of those people.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I have Dinan stage 1 in my ti now and it is fine. Not earth shattering but that car is a whole different animal.

I was just hoping someone here might have first hand experience with this. It appears not.

All it does is fool the dme with regards to boost pressure. That's it. If I'm careful I won't even get my hands dirty installing it. It uses an iPhone ap for setting modes from valet to race+.

$300, 10 minutes, 20hp that is fully reversible if I need to use my warranty.

If someone is running this, please let me know. PM is fine if you want to avoid the flying debris on the open forum.

Thank you!

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    What makes you think someone in here doesn't have experience with it? I just didn't honestly think a more in depth response was warranted beyond the previous statement.

I've worked in the dealer network, and with BMW's my entire adult life. Dinan always has been and always will be second rate overpriced stuff that other companies do much much better, and much much cheaper. Dinan prays on the ignorant masses and the dealer serves it to them on a silver platter.

The Dinan device you are inquiring about works very simply by connecting between the TMAP sensor and the DME, manipulating the signal (reducing) to fool the DME into thinking the requested boost is not being met, which in turn adjusts the request and raises to meet request.

The BMS JB+ does the exact same thing, for 33% less.
    http://www.burgertuning.com/f_series...all_tuner.html

Regardless, modifying the N20 is really a whole other kind of wasting time. The engine is anemic, even "tuned" in such a big heavy car, and yours has AWD to lug around too. The N20 isn't a robust engine in stock form (talking durability) let alone when more is being requested of it.
    Last edited by Stück; 03-01-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Thank you Stuck. I appreciate you taking the time for a complete answer.

I have my ti which has all the power and reliability needed, and it is a (third, or fourth if you count my Wife's) car, so I can go crazy there. And I will.

This is the daily driver, still under warranty. I wanted something simple because I'm not inclined to throw money at the "Anemic" engine. A little more pep for a small time/money investment sounded good so I asked for some opinions here.

Dinan/dealer politics aside, Dinan does invest in reliability. Love it or hate it, it is the only option for a newer car to "mod" without voiding your warranty. The module in question here does not fall under that but I can remove it as quickly as I install it when/if I need to go in for warranty work.

All that said, I will investigate the link you posted. If it is the same as what Dinan offers, and is as easily reversible, I'll seriously consider that.

hanks again for the details.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    TIMASTER: If you purchase and install either project, please report your experience back here. I, and probably others, would be very interested in the results.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I will do. Just a reality check- my ti engine build is going to be north of ten grand. I need to prioritize a bit.

I did take a look at the less expensive option. (Link above) It does the same thing; however it is adjusted via a trim pot in the module whereas the Dinan gizmo is adjusted via a phone ap. Not exactly apples to apples but quite a bit less money.