Thread: Maybe you can figure this one out... Clutch related...

My Cars
    e46 325ci 2003

Lightbulb Maybe you can figure this one out... Clutch related...

Hi everyone, thanks for stopping by.

I'll go straight to the point on this one because I know that your time is important. Basically I have a 2003 325ci e46 with 176,000km that's in pretty good condition, except for the common problems; vanos, ccv etc... but what is bothering me to the point that I would create an account and ask you BMW Gurus for help is my clutch.

I have no service records unfortunately (I'm not too happy about that) but I'm pretty sure it's the stock clutch flywheel etc. The problem I'm having and that is making me scratch my head more than I would like to admit is how my clutch is engaging. I have a spongy, notchy, clicky clutch pedal. I have replaced the clutch bushings with oem, not UUC since the shipping cost to Canada are gross, with no difference. I also have a creaking noise when depressing the clutch followed by a click at the end of it. I can recreate this sound all the time.

Taking off in first is troublesome, it seems that I don't know to drive stick, when I do, Quite embarrassing when someone else is in the car.

The pedal isn't soft whatsoever, just notchy when the clutch disengages.
    So when pressing in the clutch:
    1. 1/2 travel, spongy feeling
    2. 3/4 travel, notch
    3. fully disengaged, click

It feels like there is a resistance when driving as well, like the car is slowing down. Kinda hard to explain. Plus I'm getting a rhythmic vibration on my shift knob at idle. Also the cars RPMs will randomly drop when at idle and bounce back up and stay there for a while, this only happens when I come to a stop. Last thing I would like to add is that I get a high pitch whine, kind of like a supercharger just whimpy, when accelerating in lower gears, 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

Is it the TB, Pilot Bearing, Clutch, PP or DMF or even just the fork pivot??
    Money is tight in February for me since I work in a restaurant and everyone's hours are being reduced until summer. A direction would be great and an answer to fully diagnose this problem would be stellar. The Clutch doesn't slip, ever btw.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys!
    Last edited by Samuraijack46; 02-24-2017 at 02:30 AM.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 2000 528iT
    I would start by replacing your slave cylinder on the car. See how that affects pedal feel. New unit isn't very expensive, but replacing it yourself is kind of tedious especially if you don't have a bleeder.

These cars have a plastic pivot pin that one end of the clutch fork pivots on which can wear over time. If I'm correct, this cause your clutch to pick up differently than it should since there's more play in the fork itself.

I have a 2002 330i that had some weird clutch feelings (more spongy at the floor) but I don't believe it's bad at all, it only has 88k miles. I installed a new slave and the system feels a lot better and smoother. I do believe my pivot pin is worn which is why I am getting slightly higher engagement. I don't really feel like pulling the transmission to change the pivot pin either.

If you're a DIY type of person, start with the slave, or at a minimum, bleed the slave.
    | 2002 330i 5-SPD - 101k | 2000 528iT - 146k |
    My E46 Maintenance Thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1124584

My Cars
    e46 325ci 2003
    Hey shoman24v, thanks for the quick response. So for the slave, I have bled it and I also removed the CDV. I'm not sure how to diagnose it if it has failled. There are no leaks on the outside. Meaning that if it did fail. It would be internally. This worries me because to my knowledge, there are no ways to diagnose this unless you know of one. It does feel like it would be a slave problem to be honest, like there is air in the system even if it was bled. My fluid isn't being lost as well. But before replacing it, i would want to make sure that it actually is the problem.

I'm kind of hoping it is. Its a cheap fix and if it can make the clutch hold out to this summer. Ill be happy!