Thread: Rubber seal at the base of the windscreen

My Cars
    1996 E36 323i

Rubber seal at the base of the windscreen

I'm not sure what it might be called. I'd call it a plenum chamber seal. Others might call it something different.

Anyway, this seal is part of a plastic cowl that covers the top of the firewall chamber (where the wiper arms are attached), it seals at the base of the windscreen.

The seal on my car is broken and/or hard.

Can this seal be bought by itself?

Micko

My Cars
    1996 328is
    Yes, it's called the cowl seal.
    I'm on my phone so I can't really copy and paste link but a quick google will turn it up...
    About $30.00 if I remember correctly

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Rubber seal is part of the cowl cover. You need to buy a new cover. Coupe/vert cover is one single piece. Approx $40. Sedans cover is 2 pieces. Do a google search for e36 cowl cover or look it up on realoem

My Cars
    1996 328is
    From my searches they separate pieces. The cowl is about $49 ish but does. It come with the seal. The seal is separate and is about $30ish.

I well may be mistaken... we'll find out cause I just ordered the seal by itself, the one on my sons car is shot.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe

Rubber seal at the base of the windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by yardpro View Post
    From my searches they separate pieces. The cowl is about $49 ish but does. It come with the seal. The seal is separate and is about $30ish.

I well may be mistaken... we'll find out cause I just ordered the seal by itself, the one on my sons car is shot.
    Sedans are 2 piece cowls and coupes are 1 piece. Seals come attached to cowl, At least on the coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mitch500; 02-25-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    ()()===[][]===()()

Door and window rubber strips. They sell this by the roll in hardware stores for a few bucks. Get one that seems the right thickness and paste over the bad rubber. It seals very well. It looks original. It is very easy to do and doesn't take much time. its best to do it from all the way left to right if not it will look odd.
    Last edited by SBRocket; 02-25-2017 at 05:01 PM.

My Cars
    1992 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRocket View Post
    Door and window rubber strips. They sell this by the roll in hardware stores for a few bucks. Get one that seems the right thickness and paste over the bad rubber. It seals very well. It looks original. It is very easy to do and doesn't take much time. its best to do it from all the way left to right if not it will look odd.
    My old rubber is missing completely. Would Lowes have the right weatherstripping or an auto parts store?

My Cars
    1996 E36 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRocket View Post
    Yes. Good idea.

Micko.

Quote Originally Posted by Themachine View Post
    My old rubber is missing completely. Would Lowes have the right weatherstripping or an auto parts store?
    Lowes.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by yardpro View Post

you are mistaken. The rubbervstripmis not sold as a separate piece. You can try using that hardware store weather stripping. It might work. I always buy a new cowl cover because the old one is severely sun bleached and brittle.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    you are mistaken. The rubbervstripmis not sold as a separate piece. You can try using that hardware store weather stripping. It might work. I always buy a new cowl cover because the old one is severely sun bleached and brittle.
    If a cowl is just $30 i wouldn't mind. But an old cowl can be removed and spray painted for $2.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Buy the factory part it will look great fit great what is this the Beverly hillbillies

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Buy the factory part it will look great fit great what is this the Beverly hillbillies
    That really depends on how well behaved the car has been during your ownership.

And the door and window rubbing stripping looks very good and natural, a good option indeed.