Thread: Z3 M// Console insert broken

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

Z3 M// Console insert broken

I need to replace a portion of the console insert (see pic). If anyone has one f/s or has knowledge of one, please advise....or perhaps you can offer a suggestion on how to repair the existing insert. Thanks for your help. BTW ebay does NOT have one that I could find.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    I have ALL the other parts to change out the existing console. I have the plug-ins but NEED HELP with the wiring of the Battery and Oil gauges. I will be keeping the On Board computer gauge. Can anyone be of help? Pics would definitely help. Thanks Much!!
    Last edited by MORRIE; 02-23-2017 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    The M shifter surround breaks there a lot, replacement parts are about $250ish new last I checked

Keep in mind too that the Imola Red interior in the M is not a match for the Dream Red leather in non-M's.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    I need to replace a portion of the console insert (see pic). If anyone has one f/s or has knowledge of one, please advise....or perhaps you can offer a suggestion on how to repair the existing insert. Thanks for your help. BTW ebay does NOT have one that I could find.
    ECS was selling the parts your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Dream Red leather in non-M's.
    There was also Tannin Red offered in the Z3 too! I think Tannin was earlier production and Dream was post-facelift.
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Carl M is selling his stock Z3 console; I took it out several years ago in favor of an M version.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/632124326909221/

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Thanks guys for your input. I think I will try finding a way to repair existing shifter panel....unless I luck up and find a used one. BTW I will be taking these inserts to the paint shop to be painted silver...same color of car.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Carl M is selling his stock Z3 console; I took it out several years ago in favor of an M version.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/632124326909221/
    Thanks for the information, Randy. I am replacing my 2001 non-M console for the 98 M// console. However, I did go onto the f/b page and am communicating with a fellow member who said he had the parts that I need. BTW can I use the existing wiring and oil and volt meter relays on the 98 M// to fit onto my 01 non-M car? I plan to use the existing plug-ins on the 98 M// for the gauges. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post
    Thanks for the information, Randy. I am replacing my 2001 non-M console for the 98 M// console. However, I did go onto the f/b page and am communicating with a fellow member who said he had the parts that I need. BTW can I use the existing wiring and oil and volt meter relays on the 98 M// to fit onto my 01 non-M car? I plan to use the existing plug-ins on the 98 M// for the gauges. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    That was several years ago, and all done as part of much deeper work, so I don't remember all the specifics. At the very least, the volt meter is easy to tap from somewhere (any hot in run & start) but I might've added an oil temperature sending unit, and associated wiring.

It's ALL in here, somewhere... http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/Kryptonite

My Cars
    z3
    Yes, no reason not to use the harness that came with the gauges, but this is not just plug and play. Voltmeter is very easy to do, but I am pretty sure you will need to run a sensor for oil temp.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    That was several years ago, and all done as part of much deeper work, so I don't remember all the specifics. At the very least, the volt meter is easy to tap from somewhere (any hot in run & start) but I might've added an oil temperature sending unit, and associated wiring.

It's ALL in here, somewhere... http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/Kryptonite
    Thank you Randy for sharing the information...lot of good stuff on your site. I contacted Carl M and he said you installed/wired the M gauges into his new M console. I am guessing the photos on your site reflect his installation....very nice/professional job.

From what I can see from your photo (see 2nd photo) the gauge wiring is linked together for an easier installation somewhat like the Z3-M pigtail harness (see 4th photo) is linked together so the wiring will fit into the plug connector. I would like to use the M pigtail harness to wire the gauges into the swapped-M console (see 5th photo). Can I plug the M female connector into the M male pigtail harness (see 1st photo) and use the existing wiring from the female plug to wire the gauges? I know this is not a plug & play situation. However, is it possible to connect/splice into other existing wires inside the console area to properly wire the gauges? I realize a separate wire will be needed for oil temp gauge requiring a sensor (see 3rd photo) which I will run from oil plug drain. Your help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to share.
    Last edited by MORRIE; 04-17-2017 at 01:24 PM.