Thread: IHKS System

My Cars
    91' E30 325i

IHKS System

Anyone know how to take a IHKS(I think that's what it's called) system out from a 91' 325i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I have no idea what that is and a google search points to this thread. Post a pic of what you're talking about.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    91' E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
    I have no idea what that is and a google search points to this thread. Post a pic of what you're talking about.

I think it's an ac unit but I know it's called IHKS

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Yes the IHKS system is the HVAC system. Removal of the entire system requires disassembly of the console & dashboard and evacuation of the A/C system. Here's a picture of the unit in place and exposed. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...4#post28909114

I do want to point out that for typical repairs, it's not necessary to pull the unit.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    91' E30 325i
    I pull it though if I'm stripping the car right?

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by Müven30 View Post
    I pull it though if I'm stripping the car right?
    That is entirely up to you.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    A couple of hooptys
    I'm in the process of removing mine right now. I've searched far and wide for a clear DIY but haven't found one that details it exactly. That being said, the info I have found doesn't make it sound too difficult. Once you have the dash out (I do now), the IHKS box (or HVAC box) is held in by the small bracket up front, the heater core, the A/C evaporator, and the 4 nuts inside the fan cowl. There are a couple drains that can be seen around the base of the HVAC box that easily pull out. The wiring for the box is just above and to the right of the steering column, and (if this is for the '91 in your avatar) should be a white, approx 12 wire connector (E30's up to 1988-ish have an opaque 9-wire connector). Most that I've found just say to disconnect everything, then wiggle it and it should come free. You'll want to order a new gasket that seals it to the back side of the cowl, as leaks from there are a pita.
    My car is an early '84 and the fan has only 3 speeds. When the car was originally listed for parts, only one person came by and took the blower fan out with what could have only been a crow bar, as they fully destroyed the plastic vents and flaps near the fan. I have a complete HVAC box out of my '86 parts car that I can clean up and refurbish out of the car, then have a much more common 4-speed fan/resistor/flaps assembly. As I just got the dash off this week to begin this process, I can tell you now that after 30 years, the HVAC box is gross. No filtration means everything gets inside (including critters that went in willingly), and it's nasty. If it wasn't such a pain to take out, I think it would be one of those "every ten years" maintenance items.

1997 328i/4/5 - Cosmosschwarz Metallic on Dove Grey - Auto/Manual Swap - M3 Bilstein Sport/H&R Sports (95 M3 mounts) - Offset M3 LCAB - 20mm M3 rear sway bar - X-Brace - AA Tuning Strut Tower Bar - Rogue Engineering RSM - Dinan Cat-Back - 3.38 LSD - E46 330 front/328 rear brakes - SS Brake Lines - E36 fitment Style 42's (staggered) - M3 Front Bumper - M3 side moldings - M3 Rear Diffuser - DJ Auto Headlights (6k HIDS) - Frenched Fogs - OEM Clear Tails - E65 Rearview Mirror (Homelink controls + Autodim) - Alpine Type S Cabin Speakers (6x9 Retrofit) - 8" JVC woofer - Black Kidneys - Red Needles/Chrome Gauge Rings - OEM Alarm - Full Interior/Trunk LED Lighting - Mishimoto Full-Aluminum Radiator - More to Come!

My Cars
    91' E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by jagerking View Post
    I'm in the process of removing mine right now. I've searched far and wide for a clear DIY but haven't found one that details it exactly. That being said, the info I have found doesn't make it sound too difficult. Once you have the dash out (I do now), the IHKS box (or HVAC box) is held in by the small bracket up front, the heater core, the A/C evaporator, and the 4 nuts inside the fan cowl. There are a couple drains that can be seen around the base of the HVAC box that easily pull out. The wiring for the box is just above and to the right of the steering column, and (if this is for the '91 in your avatar) should be a white, approx 12 wire connector (E30's up to 1988-ish have an opaque 9-wire connector). Most that I've found just say to disconnect everything, then wiggle it and it should come free. You'll want to order a new gasket that seals it to the back side of the cowl, as leaks from there are a pita.
    My car is an early '84 and the fan has only 3 speeds. When the car was originally listed for parts, only one person came by and took the blower fan out with what could have only been a crow bar, as they fully destroyed the plastic vents and flaps near the fan. I have a complete HVAC box out of my '86 parts car that I can clean up and refurbish out of the car, then have a much more common 4-speed fan/resistor/flaps assembly. As I just got the dash off this week to begin this process, I can tell you now that after 30 years, the HVAC box is gross. No filtration means everything gets inside (including critters that went in willingly), and it's nasty. If it wasn't such a pain to take out, I think it would be one of those "every ten years" maintenance items.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, I been stuck