Thread: E39 auto to Mod/T56 swap

My Cars
    E39, GT500, 65 mustang

E39 auto to Mod/T56 swap

Hey all, I have put a couple posts out about this idea before and have gone a little dormant on the project, but still doing some research here and there.

So to refresh, I started playing around with the idea of a modular 5.0 coyote/T56 into my 00 528 auto. Got some good feedback and resources, but now find myself running into some more mental road blocks as far as the interfacing/wiring would go. I am aware of the many successful LSX swaps, which gives me hope that a coyote could be fully interfaced into the E39 chassis (i.e. maintaining factory climate control, cruise control, gauges, and so on) In my head I have planned on using the ford racing stand alone system for the motor, but as for making the chassis operate like factory is where I'm currently stopped at. I have spent some recent time thumbing over the LSX swap and wiring threads, which have been another great resource, but I am curious as to what were some of the biggest demons for those who have pulled off a successful LSX/T56 swap?? I am not fully against an LS swap myself, I would just like to try something different and that I feel would be pretty cool, but an LS is not out of the question for myself. Anyhow I hope to get some more light shed on this dealio with all of your infinite knowledge lol! Thanks guy!

IMG_0653.jpg

Nik

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

E39 auto to Mod/T56 swap

The only thing you will have trouble with is the factory cruise. I'm not aware of anyone retaining it. Not to say there isn't a way, aftermarket systems are available. Otherwise you can make it (a modular swap) work fine. A Coyote swap would be sweet.

My Cars
    Subaru Legacy, BMW 540i
    Won't space be really tight with the DOHC 5.0L with the Ford pulleys and headers? Or very similar to the factory M62B44 dimensions?

Unlike the pushrod LS engines which free up a ton of space while lowering center of gravity, allowing the engine to sit close to the firewall improving weight balance, and look like they are sitting in a 1970's truck engine bay in the E39, stuff like headers, mounts, oil pan, trans mount (could possibly modify LS trans mount with elongated holes for trans mount bolts to allow some front/back adjustment of location) etc. might be a royal pain with the large 5.0L dimensions.

Maybe a Fox/Coyote swap kit could be bastardized to work in an E39, saving some effort. The older Fox platforms are going to have the biggest aftermarket support, so maybe talk with that modding crowd too as they might have ideas, especially if they are trying to modernize older models with current electronics.

If going with a Ford engine management system, it might be easier to retrofit some modern Ford electronics (2018 Mustang digital cluster: https://officialamblog.files.wordpre...ormal-view.jpg) into the E39 recess and have a fiberglass or carbon fiber cover made to look stock or better than stock as it looks like it'd easily fit, though you might need to make your own mounting tabs. Would save some serious effort trying to get the Ford computer to not only recognize, but accurately control the BMW electronics as the Ford stuff in theory should be plug and play, especially if you use a current model Ford sending unit as gas level should work w/o resorting to a resistor mod or whatever. Could even possibly swap over a Mustang Cruise control if enough Ford tidbits were sourced, assuming it doesn't need elaborate wheel speed sensors at all 4 corners or something, or maybe try and go with an older style cruise control from when they 1st went to electronic throttle control. Drive by wire would probably be easier to get working as the 4.6L DOHC Cobra and Mark VIII had them, though it'd probably need a cable lever added to the throttle plate end and be able to read a TPS. Would be really cool to see one swapped, but unlike the LS crowd where everything is out there for the swap, the physically large 5.0L/C engine will need a ton of fabrication to fit, work, and run.

I haven't done that level of an engine swap before, so I'm shooting from the hip here. BTW, if you aren't overly worried about MPG and ant a strong Ford offering, consider doing something like a fully forged 427 (351w base) stroker with something like AFR205 heads, and run a cam that favors torque. Can easily get you in the 530hp/550+ tq range all before 6k rpm, which is plenty power. Or run twin GTX2860R turbos (https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...tx2860r-gen-ii) on a 302w and get 400hp on low boost to 950hp balls out. The GTX2860R GENII is a ballbearing Garrett with their most recent revisions, and a single GTX2860R is ideally suited for a 1.4L (200hp) to a 2.5L (475). What that means is that on a 2.5L displacement engine which is the max~ Garret recommends for ONE of those turbos, it's rated to 475hp, and it should have crazy good spooling response. Since a 5.0L/2 =2.5L, run one turbo per 4cyl bank and it should be a monster, making a ton of power very early until redline, and make it a stoplight screamer and 1/4 mile demon. LS guys with single turbos would probably have a hard time catching it from a dig if going balls out levels
    Last edited by Billy Beamer; 02-26-2017 at 02:26 AM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Please do your research. There are 4v swapped E36's. The E39 has a lot more room, thus it's not an issue. Gauges need a minor reprogram to work with analog signals. A Ford 302 block likes to split at ~500hp. A 351 based engine is an option. As a former Ford guy, I would go Coyote over a 351 all day long- boosted of course. As far as turbos go, it's an age old debate. Twin vs single. Whats better, what's faster?

Build one and make you own decision based on facts. I would love to see a twin turbo Coyote powered E39.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i/6
    The biggest demons are cost and time. If you have enough free time and money to throw at a project, you can make anything happen. For what it's worth I did my LSx/T56 swap 99% on my own and learned a ton. I don't miss the constant "tinkering" needed to "finish" it (A/C, NVH issues, etc).

2001 BMW 560i 6.0 LSx/T56 SOLD

2000 Corvette Hardtop FRC

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
    The biggest demons are cost and time. If you have enough free time and money to throw at a project, you can make anything happen. For what it's worth I did my LSx/T56 swap 99% on my own and learned a ton. I don't miss the constant "tinkering" needed to "finish" it (A/C, NVH issues, etc).
    Agree with this 100%. This is one of the reasons I ditched the E36 and went E39.

On a side note, I read every thread on an E39 swap I could find. There were some great ideas that I shamelessly borrowed when building my car. I've also changed a few things that I felt needed improvement or I just liked my idea better. Each swap is similar, but they all have the builders unique touch. It's what makes this hobby so much fun.