Thread: Behind the Glove Box...help with identifying "connectors" of various types...

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3

Behind the Glove Box...help with identifying "connectors" of various types...

Hey guys; pulled the glove box to re-work stereo cables and wire in footwell-lighting and discovered just some random odd-connectors...tried searching a little but can't seem to come up with good answers. Hoping someone has some insight:

Here we have a big fat two-prong jobber. It has a Red line and brown line running from it...this fits into the slot in the glove box in Picture 2 (appears to run into a conduit to the far lower-passenger side behind the box).

IMG_5563.jpgIMG_5554.jpg

Example two is a small three-pin female coming out of the top corner of the glove box. Cabling is sheathed, but runs to a tiny black box that has been zip-tied off to the side (upper right-hand corner). Can't quite read what it says on the little box due to the angle but what I can make out is: "Clifford - Digital ______ Sensor." Could be "Climate Sensor" but not certain.

IMG_5553.jpgIMG_5562.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    First one is the socket for the factory flashlight.

Second one is some kind of sensor for an aftermarket alarm system.

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Next up we have this guy here, which appears to be to be a standard radio connector. There wasn't one anywhere visible when replacing the headunit and (obviously) I don't have radio on it...this must have slipped back down. I do have an old Sirius antennae in the trunk...wondering if this is running from there?

IMG_5556.jpg

Lastly; I have a gigantic 11-pin connector (in a 12-pin housing) that is just not plugged into anything. I didn't take the time to compare wiring colors to any of the other harnesses/adapters...just wondering what this guy might be?

IMG_5561.jpg

Thanks everyone for taking a look...just want to see why there are so many non-rudimentary connectors in here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JayhawkM3; 02-22-2017 at 11:57 AM.

1995 BMW M3/2/5 - Alpine White - Vaders - Stage II Maxsil Pistons, Chipped, 24# Injectors, MagnaFlow Exhaust, and heated door locks!

My Cars
    e28, Spec3, M3, M3, ZHP
    That little radio pin looks like something for an antenna. The second photo, I'm not sure. I have my dash all apart and can look for somtihng like that. Doesn't look familiar at all, maybe tied to some aftermarket stuff that was put on the car.
    Andrew Elmore

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    in your second post, the first one is DEFINITELY a siriusxm antenna connection. If you have an antenna somewhere then that makes even more sense. I have put one of those buggers in every one of my vehicles for the last 12 years. Including motorcycles. VERY familiar with them.

The second pic in the second post is the connector for the stock keyless entry module. There's a short (about 12-18") pigtail that plugs into that and then into the alarm/door lock module if equipped. It's actually got a spot that it's supposed to go but is not in at the moment. It's supposed to sit farther back and to the left. It'll slide into a groove and lock itself into place on the large black plastic housing that is holding all the other modules.

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Ah-ha! You know; there is a kluge of connectors on that sort-of loose bit to the left but I hadn't looked all the way back to see if there was something back there. I don't have a key capable of keyless entry...think I should plug it in regardless? I guess if all else fails I can unplug it again if things go wonky?

Jesse

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkM3 View Post
    Ah-ha! You know; there is a kluge of connectors on that sort-of loose bit to the left but I hadn't looked all the way back to see if there was something back there. I don't have a key capable of keyless entry...think I should plug it in regardless? I guess if all else fails I can unplug it again if things go wonky?

Jesse
    If you don't have the remote for the alarm I wouldn't plug it in. Unless you want it to accidentally arm and go off at 3am with no way to disable it. My car had some kind of aftermarket bluetooth phone thing in it back in there. I ripped it all out. Except for a strange mount on the transmission tunnel. There's 3 screws that go through and stick into the tunnel that I can see under the car, but I can't tell how they are in this dang thing. There's no screw heads. it's odd.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    If you don't have the remote for the alarm I wouldn't plug it in. Unless you want it to accidentally arm and go off at 3am with no way to disable it. My car had some kind of aftermarket bluetooth phone thing in it back in there. I ripped it all out. Except for a strange mount on the transmission tunnel. There's 3 screws that go through and stick into the tunnel that I can see under the car, but I can't tell how they are in this dang thing. There's no screw heads. it's odd.
    Sounds like an old Gooseneck for a phone cradle. It's probably just got screw caps or a cover plate over it covering the screws. If you can't figure it out you could always get to the screws from underneath and unscrew them with some vice grips. Eventually the caps or cover will pop off on the cabin side.

My Cars
    '95 M3 / '03 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwilly View Post
    That is a wonderfully balanced point. I do not want to do that. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Sounds like an old Gooseneck for a phone cradle. It's probably just got screw caps or a cover plate over it covering the screws. If you can't figure it out you could always get to the screws from underneath and unscrew them with some vice grips. Eventually the caps or cover will pop off on the cabin side.
    I figure that's what it's got to be, but there's NO caps on this dang thing. And I don't want to just pry the heck out of it for fear of ripping out a giant chunk of sheet metal. I'll take another look at it. There's so way to get to the screws from underneath with the transmission in there and there was barely any thread poking through to begin with. I'll revisit it when I get out in the garage next time....