Thread: Just bought an 09 535i

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i

Just bought an 09 535i

Been researching for a few months after having my VW Jetta TDI bought back by VW in January. Knew it was coming. Decided on an E90 335i or E60 535i after a lot of research and talking to friends(they all steered me away from the newer F series cars). Started looking seriously the other day and drove quite a few. LOTS of junk out there that "looks" good in online adds, yet when you show up its not at all what you thought. After driving a few 535i and 335i I decided the 535 was the way to go. The 335i just didnt feel right to me or what I was looking for I guess. 5 series is just a step up in every way.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up with an 09 535, 81k miles, ultra clean and I feel like the deal was pretty good. It was on the used lot of a local BMW dealership which I know are VERY picky about the cars they put on their used lot. If they arent top quality they go to auction and end up and the other dealers like I looked at a few other cars.

The sales guy wouldnt give me the actual service history(I understand this may or may not be verboten via BMW), but the carfax had a lot of info. Regular service was done at this particular dealership.

Things that have been replaced:
    water pump at ~60k
    fuel injectors at ~65k(not sure how many)
    brakes recently(its not on the carfax, but its obvious the brakes are new)
    tires at ~70k
    battery at ~65k
    valve cover gasket was just done
    few other odds and ends

Turbo's make no noise's that I can hear(they are obviously out of the 80k mile warranty) and HPFP is still under the 10 year 120k mile warranty. There was nothing in the carfax about either being replaced.

Im very much ok with working on my own cars and have for years. Got a 07 Z06 Vette I did heads, cam, headers, intake manifold, injectors, etc... on all in my garage. My buddies thought I was crazy. Ive also built a few jeeps, rebuilt a few motors, etc... Not afraid to get my hands dirty so to speak.

Man is the car clean. The floor mats look like they were never used. A few little rock chips on the front bumper cover, but nothing bad. Wheels have zero curb rash. I dont think anything was every put in the trunk and back seats look like they were never sat in.

Options from what I can tell:
    -multi contour seats: gotta figure these out, the lower lumbar gave me back pain on the 30 minute drive home
    -comfort access
    -PDC
    -NAV
    -HD/Sirius radio
    -might have premium package: has power fold mirrors, dimming mirrors, and the universal garage door opener and seats feel nicer than leatherette
    -might have sport package: has 18" wheels, shadowline trim, and the multicontour seats, but doesnt have sport button for trans or paddle shifters(are these last 2 stand alone options?)

-does not have: cold weather package, HUD, Logic 7, night vision, folding rear seats

I think thats about it.

I plan to get the windows tinted, transmission service done(might do it myself pending cost at a shop) and get the intake walnut shell blasted(I have no proof this was ever done). Beyond that, I dont think it needs a single thing done to it immediately. I need to start researching mods. Not sure what all I want to do though. Not thinking anything crazy as I have my ~600whp vette to keep me happy in that department.

Ill get some pictures up later today or tomorrow. Havent had a chance to do much but drive it home from the dealer last night.

My Cars
    2016 Audi A4, BMW
    It would be great if you could share with us some photos!

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i
    Here's 2 pictures for now, not great ones.

My Cars
    08 535xit
    Looks great.

it does have the sport package.

the SAT is a separate option. this would include the paddles and the sport button. it can be added later, i did it to my e61 as it was never an option for the wagon.

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Put a Burger JB4 in it.

My Cars
    09 535ix
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Been researching for a few months after having my VW Jetta TDI bought back by VW in January. Knew it was coming. Decided on an E90 335i or E60 535i after a lot of research and talking to friends(they all steered me away from the newer F series cars). Started looking seriously the other day and drove quite a few. LOTS of junk out there that "looks" good in online adds, yet when you show up its not at all what you thought. After driving a few 535i and 335i I decided the 535 was the way to go. The 335i just didnt feel right to me or what I was looking for I guess. 5 series is just a step up in every way.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up with an 09 535, 81k miles, ultra clean and I feel like the deal was pretty good. It was on the used lot of a local BMW dealership which I know are VERY picky about the cars they put on their used lot. If they arent top quality they go to auction and end up and the other dealers like I looked at a few other cars.

The sales guy wouldnt give me the actual service history(I understand this may or may not be verboten via BMW), but the carfax had a lot of info. Regular service was done at this particular dealership.

Things that have been replaced:
    water pump at ~60k
    fuel injectors at ~65k(not sure how many)
    brakes recently(its not on the carfax, but its obvious the brakes are new)
    tires at ~70k
    battery at ~65k
    valve cover gasket was just done
    few other odds and ends

Turbo's make no noise's that I can hear(they are obviously out of the 80k mile warranty) and HPFP is still under the 10 year 120k mile warranty. There was nothing in the carfax about either being replaced.

Im very much ok with working on my own cars and have for years. Got a 07 Z06 Vette I did heads, cam, headers, intake manifold, injectors, etc... on all in my garage. My buddies thought I was crazy. Ive also built a few jeeps, rebuilt a few motors, etc... Not afraid to get my hands dirty so to speak.

Man is the car clean. The floor mats look like they were never used. A few little rock chips on the front bumper cover, but nothing bad. Wheels have zero curb rash. I dont think anything was every put in the trunk and back seats look like they were never sat in.

Options from what I can tell:
    -multi contour seats: gotta figure these out, the lower lumbar gave me back pain on the 30 minute drive home
    -comfort access
    -PDC
    -NAV
    -HD/Sirius radio
    -might have premium package: has power fold mirrors, dimming mirrors, and the universal garage door opener and seats feel nicer than leatherette
    -might have sport package: has 18" wheels, shadowline trim, and the multicontour seats, but doesnt have sport button for trans or paddle shifters(are these last 2 stand alone options?)

-does not have: cold weather package, HUD, Logic 7, night vision, folding rear seats

I think thats about it.

I plan to get the windows tinted, transmission service done(might do it myself pending cost at a shop) and get the intake walnut shell blasted(I have no proof this was ever done). Beyond that, I dont think it needs a single thing done to it immediately. I need to start researching mods. Not sure what all I want to do though. Not thinking anything crazy as I have my ~600whp vette to keep me happy in that department.

Ill get some pictures up later today or tomorrow. Havent had a chance to do much but drive it home from the dealer last night.
    You've got a lot of the worrisome maintenance already done. I'm about to spend God knows how much to do the valve cover gasket, new charge pipe, coils and plugs, etc. I put a JB4 on mine early on... it's a must do.
    RIP Jess or the idea of Jess or... what OT was.. or whatever...

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i
    I was looking at the JB4. Im not sure though as I am local to Cobb tuning here in Dallas and their main location is down in Austin. Ive got experience with them with the Subaru stuff. I understand the JB4 is a piggy back so to speak to you can switch maps on the fly and a few other functions. I think its cheaper too.

My Cars
    2008 535xi Sport
    Looks like you did thorough research and found a gem. Sounds similar to my experience. Cold weather package was a must have for me.

I'm doing a Jb4 in the spring.

Best wishes

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Cobb is fine as well and easier to install.

My Cars
    Not a BMW that's for sur
    Why not an MHD and back-end-flash? I've not done it yet, but it appears to be the least expensive way to get a bump in power, especially if you don't need all the logging tools of the JB4/Cobb and aren't planning on running E85 or anything else crazy.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    2009 BMW 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Norskie View Post
    planning on running E85 or anything else crazy.
    planning...hmm. e85, meth and crazy stuff....

I am honestly contemplating meth injection with our crazy hot weather we get here in Dallas. E85 is available almost everywhere here too. So is good ol 93 octane.

Never know which direction I take cars.
    Last edited by rjacobs; 02-23-2017 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '10 e61 535
    I recently purchased a 2010 e61 535xi 6MT with 67k miles and an LKQ replacement engine. The BMW dealership that did the engine replacement changed every gasket and seal that touched a coolant or oil line/hose and changed oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, oil cooler gasket, and oil filter housing gasket. The HPFP had been replaced already so, in short, the heavy lifting maintenance was done save for the water pump and potentially the turbo actuators.

Arguably, the only thing remaining to do to the engine (until a coil(s), plug(s), or injector(s) fail) was a walnut blast. I research what the procedure entailed, bought the equipment and did the job. It was surprisingly easy. I just started working on my own cars about a year ago, so the walnut should be a cake walk for you if you have rebuilt heads. If you have a shop vac and a 20+ gal air compressor, you are half-way there already.
    current:
    1999 e36/8 M Coupe - Cosmoschwarz Metallic over Beige
    2010 e61 535i xDrive 6MT - Titansilber Metallic over Leder Dakota/Naturbraun

past:
    1986 e28 528e 5MT
    2006 e91 325xi 6MT - Mysticblau Metallic over Leder Dakota/Grau
    2008 e70 X5 - Schwarz 2 over Leder Nevada/Schwarz

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Did you buy a kit like from bavauto or piece together your own kit?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '10 e61 535
    I pieced it together myself using the very helpful information at Bimmerhelp:

http://www.bimmerhelp.info/DIY_N54_Valve_Blast.html

Recmmendations I did not follow:

- I purchased the Genuine BMW aluminum port adapter and the Genuine BMW blast wand. The port adapter worked great, but the wand did not fit well into the Harbor Freight media blaster gun.
    - I purchased a 175 psi 20 gal oilless Husky air compressor from Home Depot for $230 (after tax) since there are no harbor freight stores near me. The Husky air compressor worked great and provided enough volume to do the job quickly.

While I had the entire intake out, I went ahead and replaced the starter. Before my venture into DIY, I had always taken my BMWs to a quality BMW mechanic who I have known since I was a child (friend of my dad). He said that the starter was one of the weakest items in then engine bay and often fail before 100k miles.

Having the intake out of the way also allowed for much more working room to install a BMS oil catch can.

I think I may have also been just looking for excuses to turn wrenches and make improvements.
    current:
    1999 e36/8 M Coupe - Cosmoschwarz Metallic over Beige
    2010 e61 535i xDrive 6MT - Titansilber Metallic over Leder Dakota/Naturbraun

past:
    1986 e28 528e 5MT
    2006 e91 325xi 6MT - Mysticblau Metallic over Leder Dakota/Grau
    2008 e70 X5 - Schwarz 2 over Leder Nevada/Schwarz