Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: New Hankook R-S4

My Cars
    BMW 525I

New Hankook R-S4

The hits keep coming in the Extreme Performance Summer category. After last year’s bumper crop of new EP tires, an absence of new releases this year wouldn’t be surprising, but Hankook’s Ventus R-S4 is already leading the charge. Whether the motivation is bragging rights, the halo effect, trickle-down race technology or because it’s just plain fun for the engineers, tire manufacturers continue to introduce new competitors into what is realistically a very low-volume category. Regardless of the reason, we’re happy to get out on the road and the track to answer our customers’ burning questions.

We haven’t had a chance to drive the Ventus R-S4 yet, but according to the manufacturer, the new tire has made a significant jump in lap times compared to the Ventus R-S3, with noticeable gains in the wet, as well. The 26-size lineup features 15”-19” rim diameters with V- and W-speed ratings, with sizes beginning to arrive today. Photos and the tire description can be seen on our website here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=Ventus+R-S4
    We are expecting them into us quick. If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Anyone driven on these yet?

I'm looking for 245/40-17 summer track/street tires in the next month or so, probably between the Dunlop Star Specs and the Hankook R-S3/R-S4. I'm looking for reasonable durability and at least competence in the rain at highway speeds, as well as being something I can toss around on road courses (without killing the tires in a day).

From everything I've read the Star Specs seem to be the consensus most durable and slightly better in the wet than R-S3's, but they are also significantly more $ than either of the Hankooks. Can anyone comment on what's improved on the R-S4's compared to the R-S3's? If they're on par with the Star Specs now, their price is certainly attractive. Also, if the R-S4's perform more or less the same as the R-S3's, a set of cheap R-S3's on closeout could be enticing.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    I think the new RS-4 would be better than the Dunlop in the wet. I also like the RE71R better than the others in the dry and in my testing they ere actually pretty good in the wet for that level of dry performance. If it is between the RS3 and the Starspec I would choose the Starspec. If I can help let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'll probably order a set of 245/40-17 R-S4's shortly. Got any deals coming?

From what I've read on the RE71R's, they are nearly unmatched in grip but don't last long at all compared to tires like the star specs or RS3/RS4 (people have killed them in a single day). I'll trade a small amount of performance for significantly more durability. The RE71R seems like more of an autox tire and the RS4 seems like more of an HPDE/track tire, which is what I want.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    If I can help let me know.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've had the R-S4's on a few days now. On the street they're pretty noisy with a nice whine at certain speeds, but handle just fine in both wet and dry. The noise is also probably due in part to me moving from a 225/45 to a 245/40 on a 1.5" wider rim in the front at the same time. Lots more rubber to push around. Anyways, the noise isn't a concern for me since these are for summer street/track duty and I didn't buy them for comfort. Probably not recommended as a street tire, but I wouldn't recommend any of the tires in this category as street tires. That's not what they're for.

I'll post more thoughts once I've had them on the track.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    They are basically a track tire that you can put on and drive to the track.