RM European Auto Parts

Thread: oil leaks general thought/ theory

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3

oil leaks general thought/ theory

✌��
    Last edited by deayge; 02-24-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: This thread got hyjaxked

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I don't understand why people refer to this as "chasing an oil leak". This should be properly referred to as attempting to remedy symptoms of a high mileage, well worn engine or deferred/neglected maintenance. I understand that it can seem overwhelming, and that new leaks seemingly pop up, one after another, when in reality, they have been there as a group all along, due to ageing seals, gaskets, O-rings. Doing things as preemptive maintenance helps, such as needing to replace valve cover gaskets, might as well do the vanos return lines. When CCV system was replaced, the dipstick tube o-ring could have been considered. Grouping or combining repairs into while you are there, I can take care of this or that, helps to lessen repair intervals. Btw, on a 10-20-30yo vehicle, this should be expected, due to age, unknown previous maintenance. Also don't worry, fixing all oil leaks will have no negative effect, or cause added strain to the HG. Just to be clear-did you replace CCV hose only, or CCV system(all hoses and valve)? Piecemeal repairs cause the frustrations your experiencing. Hope my opinions help.

Bars Leak? I assumed you were trying to eliminate long term problems, not cause or add on to them!! Stay away from that gunk...I mean junk.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 02-22-2017 at 04:42 AM.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Yep, first step, diagnosis. Clean the motor well, find all the leaks. Two, I would head straight for are valve cover and oil filter housing. Having just removed both of those gaskets from a 1998 M52 with 220K on it, both of those gaskets are more like phenolic plastic than rubber. Seriously, that VC gasket was so hardened it could stand up straight against the bench resting on the short end. The oil filter housing gasket came out in pieces, was more like dry spaghetti.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Check crankcase vacuum (or pressure, as the case may be) at idle and under load. Report back.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Check crankcase vacuum (or pressure, as the case may be) at idle and under load. Report back.
    +1 to that^. Especially if the "new" leaks are indeed new and not just smaller ones previously unnoticed.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Like most people I have a lot going on it's gonna take me a couple of days to get all this, but thank you.

So, will this suffice?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vODpt5b2DsM

Or do do I need to get a spair oil cap and figure something like this

https://www.e36-talk.com/index.php/T...nd-Inspection/

The vanos line was not leaking 1500 miles ago when I did my oil. (0-50 m1)
    knot like it is now. It's clearly seeping oil, and I clearly lost more oil than I should have (which makes my next black stone test harder to gauge)

The engine is clean, and I've taken good care of this car S the PO did as well. It's too bad it's salvaged.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    +1 to that^. Especially if the "new" leaks are indeed new and not just smaller ones previously unnoticed.
    Sounds unassuring! Haha maybe I'm spinning a bearing ?
    Do they make sounds before they let go to rod knock?
    the leak is new. I watch like a hawk. Not my first German car, or bmw.
    Last edited by deayge; 02-23-2017 at 07:40 AM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I don't understand why you'd draw any correlation between oil leaks and a rod bearing issue?

Yes, a slack-tube manometer is the way to go....but you can make one yourself, cheaply and easily.

Go to 02 Pilot's epic Oil Consumption thread. Somewhere around pages 5-6, you'll find pictures of one made by dworthy, for about ten bucks plus a spare oil fill cap.

You'll want to see 3-6 inches of water for your crankcase vacuum. Note that a normal vacuum gauge reads inches of Mercury -- it will not work for this.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    The vacuum pressure sucks mildly when I take the cap off. It also wants to die. It is normal and working proper. It was not working proper, as I've been through all This already but read dozens of pages...
    Last edited by deayge; 02-22-2017 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Who cares lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Yes, a slack-tube manometer is the way to go....

You'll want to see 3-6 inches of water for your crankcase vacuum. Note that a normal vacuum gauge reads inches of Mercury -- it will not work for this.
    And if i see less than 3 inches? What's that mean?

if I see more than 6 inches? What's that mean

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    'Sucks mildly" is generally correct. However, it would seem that you just MIGHT have an issue with a pressurized system, in some conditions, so it's best to see a quantifiable measurement. However, if the system isn't pressurized, it's likely that you're just reaching the maintenance point where you need to take care of all the usual oil leak spots.

Valve cover gasket + all 15 grommets,
    Oil filter housing gasket
    Front crank seal
    Vanos Oil pipe
    Rear crank seal
    Oil pan

Dipstick tube leaking is unusual, and might well indicate that the dipstick oil return channel from the Crankcase vent is clogged; a common issue. This might also cause additional leaks, because the CCV system won't be working correctly. Clean the outer channel of the dipstick tube.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    'Sucks mildly" is generally correct. However, it would seem that you just MIGHT have an issue with a pressurized system, in some conditions, so it's best to see a quantifiable measurement. However, if the system isn't pressurized, it's likely that you're just reaching the maintenance point where you need to take care of all the usual oil leak spots.

As stated I worked over all that CCV junk last year. I am disabled but im not stupid. I'm over here playing musical chairs.
    I should have deleted for s catch can, but I wanted the honking sound (my primary symptom after oil consumption) to go away. Before the car was ran over I took excellent care and so did the PO, and now its totaled and I got nothing because of loop holes, I'm pissed and don't care. I don't care about it being 'perfect' any more as it is completely totaled. I just care to keep it reliable. Small oil leaks do t matterIt drives straight and chirps into third, hell I was spinning all the way through second tonight. Nice racing slicks and just the right humidity/temp levels here in washingtion.

Valve cover gasket + all 15 grommets, (done)
    Oil filter housing gasket (leaking says one mech Is say weaping)
    Front crank seal
    Vanos Oil pipe (just discovered leaking)
    Rear crank seal (done )
    Oil pan (leaking says same one mech don't see it)
    engibe is prettt clean and no drips overnight, or ever.

Dipstick tube leaking is unusual, and might well indicate that the dipstick oil return channel from the Crankcase vent is clogged; a common issue. This might also cause additional leaks, because the CCV system won't be working correctly. Clean the outer channel of the dipstick tube.
    Whats is not uncommon is the o-ring connecting to the pan to be rotten and If you take the dipstick tube out for any reason it must be replaced or it will leak. Learnt that the hard way when I did my CCV...l

No offense i see your credentials and I'm sure your the mod, but are you really trying to help me? Because if you were you could please answer the previous question I asked.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha haha ha...thabks
    Last edited by deayge; 02-23-2017 at 07:38 AM.

My Cars
    1974 2002, 2009 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by deayge View Post
    No offense i see your credentials and I'm sure your the mod, but are you really trying to help me? Because if you were you could please answer the previous question I asked.
    Your original question is based on a false premise (the result of an incomplete or incorrect understanding of the system), and it is thus rather pointless to answer it. Your unwillingness to perform basic diagnostics and provide quantifiable evidence makes assisting you any further difficult. If you want the help of the highly qualified people on this forum, then follow their advice. Or just continue pissing in their Cheerios and see how far that gets you.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're stupid.
    -John Wayne

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
    Your original question is based on a false premise (the result of an incomplete or incorrect understanding of the system), and it is thus rather pointless to answer it. Your unwillingness to perform basic diagnostics and provide quantifiable evidence makes assisting you any further difficult. If you want the help of the highly qualified people on this forum, then follow their advice. Or just continue pissing in their Cheerios and see how far that gets you.

Hey, fully understood. I knew this before I sent. My Point is being brief and chasing me around a bush It's not helping either. It's not an unwillingness, it's an inability. Money is very tight ATM i can't be spending 20$ here and there for bs. I see my leak, my question was basic, and i have answered. It the answer is yes...

Furthermore, why not answer this question? Because it is legitimate. And there is a real answer somewhere.

Who cares lol

- - - Updated - - -

Not answer my questions like piss in my Cheerios to, you know. Ever Read Thomas Hobbes? What a bunch of bullshit
    Last edited by deayge; 02-23-2017 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    so, is your question what does the result of a pressure test mean?

there's been lots of edits, etc. in your posts so i'm not even sure what you are trying to find out at this point.
    we're not standing in front of the car, and we don't know what you know (or don't know) so you'll have to walk us through things a bit more than normal.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Whats is not uncommon is the o-ring connecting to the pan to be rotten and If you take the dipstick tube out for any reason it must be replaced or it will leak. Learnt that the hard way when I did my CCV...l

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha haha ha...thabks

Furthermore, why not answer this question? Because it is legitimate. And there is a real answer somewhere.

Who cares lol

- - - Updated - - -

Not answer my questions like piss in my Cheerios to, you know. Ever Read Thomas Hobbes? What a bunch of bullshit

Last edited by deayge; Today at 09:38 AM.

Wow, really? Damn, I led you to a place where you could learn to make your own tool, for nearly free, told you the results you were looking for. You answered that the vacuum "sucks mildly", so this being THE ONLY INFORMATION you'd given I tried to answer in a form you could deal with, financially or otherwise.

And you decided to tell me off, making clear that you believe that I'm wrong about the dipstick tube leak being uncommon, and that "it MUST be replaced if you take the tube out for any reason". And then, after I'd freely given my time to share my reasonable experience, you ask if I was really trying to help you???

Okay, fine, you know it all, much better than I and O2 Pilot, and shadowpuck, and ross, and Miky. You pissed in your own Cheerios....So go eat them, and fix it yourself, genius.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    No, i pissed in your Cheerios, and you're pissed off you need to eat em.

I will, with no problem fix my car without your help.

I'll do what I was honing to do from day one. Stupid catch can.
    You've been wasting my time since instance one like a typical American.

Ironically, I will have a free cap in a few days catch up to someone. Like I said time...I have my dads tools who was a diesel mechanic. In there is a pressure gauge. I can see my crank pressure is high tho, despite the 'mild sucking' as described in a video I asked about, no answer. Some teacher. I'll read and find what I need elsewhere. I'm pretty good at figuring out things on my own.

Ps i hope you feel good about insulting someone who works and participates with special olympics. Guess it's a bmw thing to insult your own kind.

- - - Updated - - -

Selective hearing

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Well, I see this thread has ended in a ditch!
    Never thought a Merakan couldn't get along with an American.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    wow.....always fascinating to me when someone asks for my help/knowledge and then tells me i'm wasting their time.....

good luck on the car - certainly hope you are able to get it running the way you like....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    No, i pissed in your Cheerios, and you're pissed off you need to eat em.

I will, with no problem fix my car without your help.

I'll do what I was honing to do from day one. Stupid catch can.
    You've been wasting my time since instance one like a typical American.

Ironically, I will have a free cap in a few days catch up to someone. Like I said time...I have my dads tools who was a diesel mechanic. In there is a pressure gauge. I can see my crank pressure is high tho, despite the 'mild sucking' as described in a video I asked about, no answer. Some teacher. I'll read and find what I need elsewhere. I'm pretty good at figuring out things on my own.

Ps i hope you feel good about insulting someone who works and participates with special olympics. Guess it's a bmw thing to insult your own kind.

- - - Updated - - -

Selective hearing

Wow. Did you really just say all that?

Goodbye, and good luck.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    94 325ic 97 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Well, I see this thread has ended in a ditch!
    Never thought a Merakan couldn't get along with an American.
    United we stand, divided we fall. Guess it just proves that I do belong on SSI even tho I'm in my 30's...something wrong with me...hell ask a German what they think of Americans..

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Closing this thread, askhole content.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI